Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much RAM do you have in your daily-use work/home machine
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much RAM do you have in your daily-use work/home machine

While LET/B is all about overselling RAM for cheaps, am wondering how much RAM do you OWN in your machine.

I tried using my thinkpad with 4GB ( after loaning a 8GB stick for booting a test machine) and i could see mahcine swapping ram and being unresposnive on certain tasks (ReadyBoost helped me ease it a bit though.. )

Please tell how much you have and whether you are happy with it.. ( or want more.. ) I am also attaching a poll

RAM in your daily-use work/home machine
  1. Less than 2GB (really? )212 votes
    1. 2+ upto 4GB
      10.85%
    2. 4+ upto 8GB
      32.55%
    3. 8+ upto 12GB
      16.04%
    4. 12+ upto 16GB
      16.04%
    5. 16+ GB ( please tell us why )
      24.53%

Comments

• I have 8gb but have been planning on upgrading to 16gb. Chrome simply uses too much ram when I have like 30+ tabs open.

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • 24 GB, 2x4GB and 2x8GB sticks. No reason really for so much just bought the 8 GB sticks when ram was cheaper.

• Visual Studio uses 2-3GB to create all the logical trees and code maps.

• 8 in my laptop (standard) and 4 non ecc in my NAS

• 16GB for all those Chrome tabs..

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

I have 16GB RAM in my desktop. There was really no reasoning behind having that much other than greed when I was getting it built. I suppose there was an element of 'I might be future proofing my desktop' but things change so much, I'm not sure if such a thing exists anymore. As @sqamsqam mentioned, Chrome does use a lot of RAM but with 20 tabs open across two Chrome's and a few other applications open such as Skype, I reach around 6.5GB RAM usage: http://puu.sh/cU1u7/b665838e14.png

• me@desk:~$ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          2011       1334        677          0        109        563
    -/+ buffers/cache:        661       1349
    Swap:         3814         26       3788

Been meaning to add another 2G...

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited November 2014

16GB in my office computer.
    16GB in my home computer.
    8GB in my laptop.

256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD in all 3 of them.

• I have 16GB of DDR3-2400 in my gaming/work rig

Thanked by 1netomx
  • 12GB on my work desktop lets me keep many programs open including Office progs, multiple RDP sessions, UltraEdit text editor, SQL Management Studio, Biztalk Administration Console, Microsoft Dynamics AX, and whatever else I need to attend to throughout the day. I rarely experience any slowdowns.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited November 2014

@jbarr said:
    12GB on my work desktop lets me keep many programs open including Office progs, multiple RDP sessions, UltraEdit text editor, SQL Management Studio, Biztalk Administration Console, Microsoft Dynamics AX, and whatever else I need to attend to throughout the day. I rarely experience any slowdowns.

similar experience here.. 12Gb seems to the sweetspot for me where you can run applications and a few VM's without worrying much on RAM bottlenecks..

Thanked by 1netomx
  • i have 8 on my laptop and 16 on desktop. ram has never been a problem for me, even though i usually have 2-3 vms running on my laptop and around 10 in the desktp for development

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

8GB in both my laptop and desktop. I've never used over 6GB on either.

• 4GB, I never use more than 1.5GB so even 4 is a little overkill for me

• 8gb at home, 6gb at work.

• JahAGRJahAGR Member
    edited November 2014

32GB in desktop because it was cheap at the time and I wanted room to play with vms

8GB in laptop

• I have 8 GB on my laptop never gone above 6 even after running 2 VmWare virtual machines of 1 GB each, Photoshop, visual studio 2010, Chrome, Firefox etc together

• If I use Windows desktop, I will need up to 4GB RAM.
    If I use *nix desktop, I need only 2GB RAM.

• 8GB in my desktop and on my laptop - for some comfort room when running Photoshop and InDesign. Otherwise, just Chrome and TweetDeck..

• I am using an old workstation server coming with 8GB EEC Ram and 2 Xeon CPU. Never go above the 4GB mark.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited November 2014

I got a 4GB laptop, and put another 4GB chip in there. RAM is cheap so why not..

Plus I disable the paging file too, and while playing some games (F1 2012) I got memory errors so I just added more.

• 10G in my Mac Mini @Office. Mac eats them all :-(

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

I cant function with less than 8GB. Laptop has 16GB and I have hit the Pagefile a few times.

Some of the big users are virtualmachines (cross compiling and debugging) as well as all the tools used daily (VS, IntelliJ, Putty, Photoshop, Illustrator).

• 32 gb, for all those putty, scp, chrome windows and virtual machines and a bit also goes to win 8.1

• 4gb on my laptop (win 8.1 x86) and 12gb on my desktop (ubuntu x64)

• Phone Android 4.4 - 2GB
    Laptop Win8.1 - 8GB
    Workstation Win8.1 - 64GB

• 4GB but planning to get another 4GB stick very soon :)

• 16GB, because RAM is/was cheap.

• 16GB, Chrome and Skype ussually use 4-6GB. Leftovers are for VMs, PhpStorm, Blender.
    Sometimes I hit 14GB used...

• bofhbofh Member
    edited November 2014

@TheLonely said:
    16GB, Chrome and Skype ussually use 4-6GB. Leftovers are for VMs, PhpStorm, Blender.
    Sometimes I hit 14GB used...

^ Good usage of memory

I run 2 debian vm's with 256M ram each and that leaves with with 3.5G ram for a thousand chrome tabs. It's insane.... Been looking at a laptop with 32GB ram for a while but just can't bring myself to do it yet.

......... yet (waiting for 64G)