Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen/KVM Which should I choose at Same Price Point ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen/KVM Which should I choose at Same Price Point ??

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

If I get the Same Specs at Same Price for Both Xen & KVM Virtualization, which should I choose??

The Servers are of same specification and colocated at Same Datacenter.

I doubt why the prices are same but it's same.

I will use it as Production Server with cPanel Control Panel & CloudLinux Environment.

Regards,
Mahfuz.

Comments

• both are isolated environments as far as I'm concerned although KVM stands on top ( according to tests )

• For CPanel purposes, both work well, but I'd argue that with the current selection of providers, KVM would be better.

If you find a provider that's willing to provide Xen-PVh (or even knows what the hell that means), Xen would blow the socks off of the comparable KVM VPS.

• I still haven't come across a PVH supporting provider. Anyone know any/ or with launch plans?

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Rallias said:
    For CPanel purposes, both work well, but I'd argue that with the current selection of providers, KVM would be better.

If you find a provider that's willing to provide Xen-PVh (or even knows what the hell that means), Xen would blow the socks off of the comparable KVM VPS.

What is that Xen-Pvh I haven't heard about it ever ! Xen-PV is something I heard for Linux Environment.

• @Rallias said:

@AnthonySmith is that true?

• Any with XenServer can provide pvhvm.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: What is that Xen-Pvh I haven't heard about it ever ! Xen-PV is something I heard for Linux Environment.

Hence the parenthesis.

PVH is Xen that allows the VM to run in all 4 execution rings. With Linux, you've usually got stuff going on in rings 0 and 3, possibly 1 and 2 although I don't know of anything that would use them. With Xen however, the hypervisor borrows ring 0, forcing Linux into Ring 1. With PVH though, you're able to use the virtualization extensions of your respective processor, as you could in Xen-HVM and KVM, but while using the PV hardware analogue along with the PV booting execution path. This allows you to boot faster and run software faster. PV's downside, which PVH addresses, is Linux is forced to run in ring 1, whereas system calls are directed to ring 0. PV shunts the calls to ring 1 at a slight performance detriment, but with X86 Virtualization Instructions, you don't have to do that. So, for syscall-heavy tasks, such as... what the fuck kind of production application even uses syscall's that much for anything other than light logging..., you get better wall clock performance.

Of course, the difference between hypervisors is mere chickenfeed compared to the comparison of the reputation of two providers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

K2Bytes said: @AnthonySmith is that true?

Yes however it wont make your dd any faster :)

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited November 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yes however it wont make your dd any faster :)

Well I am not one of those who get fascinated by those tests which hardly mean anything in terms of real world performance so it doesn't matter to me but I wanted your opinion because you're one of the most experienced ones with XEN here.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Fair one, however @Rallias is always at the bleeding edge of Xen related things he could probably teach me a thing or 10 :)

• AnthonySmith said: Fair one, however @Rallias is always at the bleeding edge of Xen related things he could probably teach me a thing or 10 :)

Well, not exactly bleeding edge, I wait for source releases be declared stable. I call it the sharp edge.

But still. I'd imagine you could teach me more about the entire ecosystem as it stands. As you say, I am on the front of the line, I never really pay attention to the background it came from.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2014

For cPanel, XenPV or XenHVM is best for you. Both are stable but speed of XenPV is faster then XenHVM (Not major difference and you will not see a difference)

I read many articles on Xen vs KVM and most of experts recommended to use Xen for Security and Stable Performance.

(No comments on KVM, I don't know too much about KVM and I am only specialize in Xen..)

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    I read many articles on Xen vs KVM and most of experts recommended to use Xen for Security and Stable Performance.

Are you sure that they are experts? And by the way, can you say why do you think that XenHVM is best for CPanel?

My opinion - Xen project will be dead in 5-7 years. Because there are KVM is maintained by RedHat and some vendors. Because Vmware is enterprise ready solution. Because as soon as bhyve in freebsd will be ready - it will unleash the power of hardware virtualization and zfs storage.

Thanked by 2vimalware bersy