Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many domains do you host on your VPS/Dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many domains do you host on your VPS/Dedicated server?

This is not so much aimed at hosting providers but private individuals who host a handful of domains/websites on their server.

I am trying to understand whether people host 3-4 domains on their VPS or like to have 100 domains on a single server; and then which control panel is used.

Domains & Control panel
  1. How many domains do you host on a single server?151 votes
    1. 1-5
      44.37%
    2. 6-10
      15.23%
    3. 11-24
      11.92%
    4. 25-49
        3.97%
    5. 50+
      24.50%
  2. Which control panel do you use on this server?151 votes
    1. Get out of here - I use vi or ed
      48.34%
    2. cPanel
      18.54%
    3. DirectAdmin
        1.32%
    4. Interworx
        1.32%
    5. Webmin
        3.97%
    6. Kloxo
        1.32%
    7. Plesk
        0.66%
    8. VestaCP
      13.25%
    9. Other
      11.26%

Comments

• I have around 80 domains on 1 server. No control panel.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited November 2014

@AutoSnipe said:
    I have around 80 domains on 1 server. No control panel.

I couldn't do that. Imagine all the sites you would have down if the server went down.

• They never go down :p
    just because im pro.

Nah main webserver with 80 sites syncs out to 4 vps servers with 20 on each. With active monitoring for failover activation.. 99% of the sites have little to no traffic. The other 1% are regularly backed up so i do have some plans :]

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • There are only so many sites that a single individual can keep updated with new content.

• @Abdussamad said:
    There are only so many sites that a single individual can keep updated with new content.

Who says they have to be updated? I have a ton of set and forget sites from years ago that still make decent money :)

Thanked by 1Lee
  • nexmarknexmark Member
    edited November 2014

I have 50+ websites on a server (cPanel) well because I offer cPanel hosting...

But for a single website my whole WHMCS and website runs on 1 single dedicated server with cPanel to make my life easier

• 1 - 3 domains per server without control panel :-) Since I am not a hosting provider + I have enough VPS / cloud VMs to not host too many sites per server.

• Mark could you add ispconfig to the list please

• Around 120 domains / 1 Windows VPS. No problems so far.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2014

Not using a panel does not mean doing something silly with vi or ed, you know?
    If you want to pick a tool that replaces a web hosting panel, I'd say that's rsync. Edit stuff comfortably on your local machine (I use Geany), then rsync everything to the server into proper locations, reload the DNS server zones and it's live.

• 0xdragon said: Not vi or ed, just nano :)

same here :D

• 1 domain and without cp. :D

• @AutoSnipe said:
    I have around 80 domains on 1 server. No control panel.

Do you spend around $1000 a year for 80 domains? That's a lot if nobody visits the sites.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Choose options: 1-5 domain with more than 100K visitors/day in total. I am using the most hated control panel on LET: zpanel.

• AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited November 2014

@Chuck No i dont really. I get pretty good deals. Jump on renewal and transfer offers when i can i dont really notice renewal fees that much.
    Except my January bunch. Where i have like 12 registered on the same day. But hey thats what black friday is for

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • 4 domain per 1GB server without control panel.

• @edan said:
    Choose options: 1-5 domain with more than 100K visitors/day in total. I am using the most hated control panel on LET: zpanel.

Oh snap! You are so vulnerable! :O

I use VestaCP from CLI. Why? The built-in features are great :-)

I think I host about 20 domains, my (sub)domain counter is 89

• 1 domain per LEB with no control panels.

• @cassa said:
    I think I host about 20 domains, my (sub)domain counter is 89

I don's use zpanel old version but latest version, updating the suhosin, php, mysql etc. to the latest version either and so far its safe :)

• 30 ish on my personal server with lighttpd and MySQL, would be fine for way more though.

• wychwych Member
    edited November 2014

@edan you brave, brave man!

Back on topic, personally a few hundred on a cPanel box.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • control panel eats ram :) but if I have more domains on a server, a panel would be helpful

• I have 50 sites hosted in a single server.but my server is little big

• AutoSnipe said: Nah main webserver with 80 sites syncs out to 4 vps servers with 20 on each. With active monitoring for failover activation.. 99% of the sites have little to no traffic. The other 1% are regularly backed up so i do have some plans :]

1% of 80 is 0.8. Can you clarify you backup 0.8 sites?

sparko said: but my server is little big

Wut?

Thanked by 1Lixxx235
  • 9 domains with Serverpilot.io. So stable, so happy ;-)

• sparkosparko Member
    edited November 2014

kcaj said: Wut?

I mean it is a powerful ( Got a good RAM,HD and etc..) and costly server. And I am using VestaCP.

• emreemre Member, LIR

• emreemre Member, LIR

server specs...

• emreemre Member, LIR

and yes.. it is openvz on proxmox with 4xSAS disks on raid10 :)