Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS - GoDaddy vs CloudFlare (or other options - Route53, Rage4)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS - GoDaddy vs CloudFlare (or other options - Route53, Rage4)

isaaclisaacl Member
edited November 2014 in General

I have all of my domains with GoDaddy, and most of them have DNS there as well.
I do have 2 domains set up with the free CloudFlare plan, and I have the DNS for those domains with CloudFlare.

I like their DNS, and how it works, and I'm thinking about moving the DNS for more of my domains over there.

Is there any reason not to do that?

Are there any advantages to GoDaddy's DNS over CloudFlare's?

And how about the paid options - Route53, or Rage4? Any big advantages?

Thanks a lot!

DNS
  1. Best DNS Option63 votes
    1. CloudFlare
      58.73%
    2. GoDaddy
        3.17%
    3. Route53
        9.52%
    4. Rage4
      28.57%

Comments

• As much as i dislike cloudflare i would never touch anything godaddy related. Godaddy sux in so many ways that it's impossible to explain.

• @rds100 said: As much as i dislike cloudflare i would never touch anything godaddy related

This. For free DNS I'd go with dns.he.net or cloudflare. I use Route53 for most of my sites though.

Thanked by 1bitsback
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:
    As much as i dislike cloudflare i would never touch anything godaddy related. Godaddy sux in so many ways that it's impossible to explain.

+1

Also, you can take a look to Amazon Route53 for DNS management.

• rds100 said: Godaddy sux in so many ways that it's impossible to explain.

I've been happy with them as a registrar, and I've tried a few of the others as well.
    Do you have something better?

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • @isaacl NameSilo is a new favourite of mine, I've used NameCheap for years and love them as well. Also Hover.com for more important domains (if shit goes wrong, I want excellent english speaking phone support)

• mikeyur said: I use Route53 for most of my sites though.

Are they that much better than CloudFlare (or another one of the free options out there)?

I don't mind paying something, and their pricing seems very reasonable, but if CloudFlare works, I may as well use them, especially since I'm already using their free option for a few sites, and I like their 2 step authentication option.

• @mikeyur I tried NameSilo a while back, probably around when they initially launched, but I wasn't so impressed... Will take a look at both again though... Thanks!

• CloudFlare DNS seems to just work for me, never had a problem with it. I don't like that there are no AXFR options (though that may be hard to integrate when they're proxying your traffic via their own IPs) available to have records transferred over to another DNS provider for redundancy.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

How about Rage4 DNS?

• Heard some good things about Rage4, but the European pricing gets me confused, and I believe I have a lot of queries, so I don't know how much it's worthwhile to pay.

Happy to discuss things though...

• Personally, I have always hated the user interface for GoDaddy, and have always found Cloudflare support to be a lot more useful than GoDaddies...

• I am not a big fan of CloudFlare but given the choices you should go with CloudFlare. This way if you transfer your domains away from Godaddy you won't get any downtime. My personal choice is HE.

• Should really throw Route53 into that poll, but I can't edit it.

Can one of the mods add it (unless it's better to recreate it)?

And I'm seeing a few reports of people having moved from CloudFlare to Route53, and then moving back, since they didn't find Route53 to be much better, and there were some limitations (Route53 doesn't allow CNAME on the root of the domain)...

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

The only negative point I have with Cloudflare is the number of page rules on the free package. 3 is too limited.

• isaacl said: I tried NameSilo a while back, probably around when they initially launched, but I wasn't so impressed... Will take a look at both again though... Thanks!

Do you mean around 2009? I cant comment about them back then, but ever since I signed up with them around 2011, I can say I am impressed (as far as someone can be impressed with a registrar). They only offer a limited number of tlds, but for what they offer I'd list them as top-player in their field. They are not only price-wise among the cheapest but their customer service also deserves the name customer service.

But in any case, Godaddy is something that I'd simply avoid.

• @alessio - Was probably one domain back around then.

I've never really had to deal with customer service for domains, mine have always been very straight forward, maybe that's why GoDaddy has worked well for me for domains so far, and I've never had any issues with them...

• gbshouse said: How about Rage4 DNS?

I feel you may just be a little bias there. :P

isaacl said: (Route53 doesn't allow CNAME on the root of the domain)...

That is against DNS standards (Cloudflare doesn't care about keeping standards). You can however use pseudo aliasing on Route53.

• @Silvenga - I don't need that particular feature at this point anyway, just came across someone having switched because of it...

• Silvenga said: That is against DNS standards (Cloudflare doesn't care about keeping standards). You can however use pseudo aliasing on Route53.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169056-CNAME-Flattening-RFC-compliant-support-for-CNAME-at-the-root

• isaacl said: I've never really had to deal with customer service for domains, mine have always been very straight forward, maybe that's why GoDaddy has worked well for me for domains so far, and I've never had any issues with them...

I didnt really have technical issues with them either, but I didnt like their pricing policies, their overall pricing and I definitely have a problem with their image, let alone their active support for slaughtering leopards and elephants.

I'd highly recommend giving Namesilo a second try.

• No one from these two. Did someone tried dns4.pro?

• I ditched Cloudflare for everything and moved to Rage4 about 6 months ago. Not a single regret. Only positives.

• The other issue is that I have a site that I really want to use CloudFlare's other services with, and from what I can tell, the only way to do that is to have the domain's DNS with CloudFlare.
    Is there any other way to do it?

And @AutoSnipe - did you have any issues with CloudFlare? And what's so much better about Rage4? Thanks.

• And just added the other 2 to the poll, but I had to reset it... :(

• Used rage4 and cloud flare are both good free options, Route 53 if you don't mind paying

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • Well in terms of network rage4 has 1.5 times the amount of POPs for their dns. (@gbshouse can confirm?)

Added feature for geodns entries. Ability to set AName Records vanity NS etc.

0 downtime noticed the whole 6 months ive had them.

Cloudflare on the otherhand.. seem to have monthly outages crap service. And just are generally used and abused

• what about nsone? https://nsone.net/

• Nobody actually host their own dns server? Any up/downsides?

• CloudFlare offers faster DNS resolution time than Route53. However, DNS Made Easy is faster than both. If you can afford DME, go for it. Otherwise, CloudFlare will do the job for you.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • I used cloudflare, godaddy, namecheap, and rage4. Right now I'm with dns.he.net They are all have 0 problem for me, but at the end, I like dns.he.net since it's very easy to control plus it's free.