Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Domains offers posting rules?

Domains offers posting rules?

bretonbreton Member
edited July 2012 in Domains

So, http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3722/appleinformer.org-up-for-auction. 0 visits, 0 comments. Now domains offers are not regulated at all.

I really think we should do something about it. I don't want LET to become a domain market.

How about: 1. Registration at least 3 months ago; 2. At least 50 comments.

Objections?

Tagged:

Comments

• JackJack Member
    edited July 2012

Well Registration has to be atleast 60 days for them to transfer it...

Is 2. 50 comments before they can make a topic?

• What about, 3. at least 1 months left on the domain.

The Original Daniel.

• @MrLadoodle said: What about, 3. at least 1 months left on the domain.

+1. Don't like paying for a domain and then suddenly having to renew it with their expensive hoster.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
  • InfinityInfinity Retired Staff

Some points were discussed in http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/92075. I would write them out here but typing on this is a pain and a half.

我是一个巨魔 (;

• I agree with those rules.

@liam said: I would be a little tougher 100 posts.

Yeah, so would I. That would definitely filter people out.

我是一个巨魔 (;

• Good idea, I am sick of seeing these domain offers.

Relax brah
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Jeffrey said: I am sick of seeing these domain offers.

I agree, it has gotten way out of hand, if only there was a way to hit topics/groups.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@liam said: At least I posted relevant domains not minecraft etc.

It was well in check back then, no longer true today, and the distance from back then to today is very short :(

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited July 2012

It is indeed a problem, I say this, autosink for regular domain offers and normal thread for ppl which respect those criteria. Also, no more than one sale per month. Hopefully, this will make it not worth for ppl to bother to try to dump them here. M

top - 22:32:38 up 906 days, 2:58, 1 user, load average: 3.94, 5.13, 8.38

• @breton said: 2. At least 50 comments.

While 50 posts isn't a lot, I still think it's too much. To sell a vps/server you only need 5 posts. As @Maounique suggested: - One domain thread per month. Max 3 domains per offer (different TLDs do not count against total). - Auto-sink after 24 hours. - Registered at least 7 days with 5 posts (Same as vps offers).

• yomeroyomero Member

Then to sell VPS 50 posts :D

• @telephone said: While 50 posts isn't a lot, I still think it's too much. To sell a vps/server you only need 5 posts.

It's a big gap, but in my opinion, somewhat needed.

The difference between selling VPSs and domain names, is that one requires a brand image, the other doesn't. Someone could quite easily sign up for an account, 'sell' a domain name, receive the payment, fail to transfer the domain name over then run.

Apart from the chance that PayPal might not go in their favour, there's little risk, compared to the 'beware, avoid, grab your pitchforks' you'd get with a failed VPS company.

A domain name, therefore in my opinion, requires far more trust than a VPS company.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited July 2012

@ElliotJ said: A domain name, therefore in my opinion, requires far more trust than a VPS company.

@ElliotJ - Hardly. While the barrier to entry for selling a domain is slightly lower than a host, it's all about common sense. Domains here are usually selling for <$50. If you end up paying more than a few hundred, then opt for Escrow.

Use the same judgment you would use against a new host. If someone appears one day and offers to sell "sex.com" for $5 reserve, then don't bid.

This is the same debate as a summer host offering yearly plans and then ditching after three months. You can't suffocate users to contribute 50 posts (which will end up being spammy) just to sell a domain. While this forum is predominately server/s based, having such a high barrier of entry for secondary sales is just dumb.

If you want to raise the limit to 50 posts, then do it globally. ANY sales thread must have 50 posts.

EDIT: As far as I'm aware, I haven't heard of one person being scammed by someone selling a domain.

• I'd like to say we as a community probably has more trust in each other than most...

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
  • @HalfEatenPie said: I'd like to say we as a community probably has more trust in each other than most...

Agreed, but anyone can make an account and either annoy us with ghrgfgh.com domains or worse, run with the money. I say established members of the community will be able to post non-sinking threads, everyone else with less than 50 posts or so, only sinking ones. But I have high hopes this will be fixed in the next board version. M

• bretonbreton Member

@telephone said: While 50 posts isn't a lot, I still think it's too much. To sell a vps/server you only need 5 posts.

I don't want users to register here to deal with domains. This is a forum about low end VPS', VPS' are the main subject here. Domain sales should be allowed to community members only, who don't make a business with it, but want to sell their unused domains.

• namename Member

@breton said: I don't want users to register here to deal with domains. This is a forum about low end VPS', VPS' are the main subject here.

Yes sir, you're right

I'm a stupid cat, don't blame me.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

agree with breton 100%

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• dnomdnom Member

I agree with breton too!

edited July 2012

@breton said: I don't want users to register here to deal with domains. This is a forum about low end VPS', VPS' are the main subject here. Domain sales should be allowed to community members only, who don't make a business with it, but want to sell their unused domains.

Yes I agree. But lets take a look at the numbers: - There have been less than 20 domain auction threads (selling domain/s) - Out of those, only @OSACOM and @azizmb signed up exclusively to sell domains - Almost every other auction (except @name) has been held by long term "community members"

There's a lot of members pissed off because they're tired of seeing the domain threads on the homepage, but once the auto-sink is in effect, this won't be a problem.

I just think everyones overlooking the simple fact. If no one wanted these domain auctions, then people wouldn't bid. But it's been quite the contrary.

Now if people start signing up left, right, and center just to sell domains, then start enforcing rules. But you don't have to buy a security system just because someone in your town got robbed.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited July 2012

@telephone said: but once the auto-sink is in effect, this won't be a problem.

From what i understand, there will be not auto-sinking. Mods will have to manually sink the threads after 24 hours.

@telephone said: I just think everyones overlooking the simple fact. If no one wanted these domain auctions, then people wouldn't bid. But it's been quite the contrary.

LET has 3500 users. Out of those 3500 users, maybe 50 have bid in domain auctions. Turning your argument around this would mean that 98.5% of the members don't want domain auctions.

• azizmbazizmb Member

@telephone, It wasn't the primary reason I signed up. I just happened to have it sitting there and figured, I've yet to post on LET. I do plan on doing more than just selling domains.

• dnomdnom Member

@telephone said: Out of those, only @OSACOM and @azizmb signed up exclusively to sell domains - Almost every other auction (except @name) has been held by long term "community members"

@telephone said: Now if people start signing up left, right, and center just to sell domains, then start enforcing rules. But you don't have to buy a security system just because someone in your town got robbed. They're already here at LEB. If they are just doing those domain sales @ WHT then that analogy would make sense. I think it's already time to impose such laws on LEB.

• dnomdnom Member

@azizmb said: It wasn't the primary reason I signed up. I just happened to have it sitting there and figured, I've yet to post on LET. I do plan on doing more than just selling domains.

Weather that's true or not, we will never know until you've posted those hypothetical posts. But for anyone who's first post is a domain sale/auction thread, that would really be the natural impression.

edited July 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: From what i understand, there will be not auto-sinking. Mods will have to manually sink the threads after 24 hours.

Kind of sucks that it will have to be implemented manually. But sinking a couple threads a week isn't too straining.

@gsrdgrdghd said: LET has 3500 users. Out of those 3500 users, maybe 50 have bid in domain auctions. Turning your argument around this would mean that 98.5% of the members don't want domain auctions.

Counting members doesn't qualify for counting those who are active. As on most forums 90%+ of users are not active everyday. If you look at the regular users, it's not hard to see that it's a very small percentage of the whole who are continually active.

Of which you've also made your own counter argument. With 3,500 members, what's the fuss over 20 auction threads? (Yes, I'm not a fan of them on the homepage either, but I don't think it's as huge of a problem as people are making it out to be).

@azizmb said: @telephone, It wasn't the primary reason I signed up. I just happened to have it sitting there and figured, I've yet to post on LET. I do plan on doing more than just selling domains.

@azizmb I meant no offense. I simply went through the domain auctions and noticed that was your only post. Feel free to prove me wrong :)

• dnomdnom Member
    edited July 2012

@telephone said: (Yes, I'm not a fan of them on the homepage either, but I don't think it's as huge of a problem as people are making it out to be).

Right now, that may be the case. But it's so easy to sell domains here. Now that more and more people discover that they can sell domains here. It can be an even bigger problem in the near future.

• @dnom said: Right now, that may be the case. But it's so easy to sell domains here. Now that more and more people discover that they can sell domains here. It can be an even bigger in the near future.

That's the whole point of my argument. Have faith in people. Have faith that this community is so close knit that no one gets scammed or lets another fall prey to one. (There is always someone warning people against bad/scam hosts).

I'm trying to put across that there's no need for a preemptive "curfew". Wait until you actually have an outbreak before you detain new members.

E.g. Lets say one week from now 10 people sign up exclusively to sell domains. If and/or when that happens enforce the new set of rules.

• As it is now it is annoying enough at least for some ppl. In order to reduce the impact, better make rules now so everyone knows in time. M

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

if breton rule is acceptable, we can invoke that when things gets out of order.

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• And for those who are complaining, I've made a very simple solution for all of you :P

Here's a userscript to remove any "Domains" category threads from the homepage: - Only hides threads on homepage, you can still view threads by venturing into "Domains" category - Does not hide announcements - Uses LETs JQuery. (Does not re-download external JQuery)

// ==UserScript==
    // @name        LET - Hide domain auctions
    // @namespace   domain_hider
    // @description Hide domain auctions from homepage on LET
    // @include     http://www.lowendtalk.com/*
    // @exclude     http://www.lowendtalk.com/categories/domains
    // @require     http://www.lowendtalk.com/js/library/jquery.js
    // ==/UserScript==

$(document).ready(hideDomains());

function hideDomains()
    {
        $("li:not('li.Announcement') + li.Item")
            .has("span.Category:contains('Domains')")
            .hide();
    }

Tested in both Firefox and Chrome (Greasemonkey + Tampermonkey).

** If auction threads were made to have "[Auction]" in the title, you could more effectively hide only auction threads without hiding a whole section.

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • dnomdnom Member

@telephone nice script! It won't do what I want though (hiding domain threads from users with <50 posts)

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited July 2012

@telephone

Thanks man, probably I will try it. At the start it wasn't annoying. Now is getting simply STUPID.

@dnom said: hiding domain threads from users with <50 posts

That is harder, because it must pull the profile page and parse it :P

edited July 2012

@dnom doing that would require an extra call/request per "Domains" thread per page load :/ (too many excess calls).

I threw that together in under 2min. If there's enough demand I'll code a more advanced one. Actually I might throw together an 'ignore user' one, as that's something I wouldn't mind :)

• DamianDamian Member

Something I learned in my days of teaching: It's always easier to start with a tight-run classroom and relax your grip, than it is to run a lax classroom and attempt to control it in the future.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • dnomdnom Member

@yomero said: That is harder, because it must pull the profile page and parse it :P I know:) It will also be slower then.

@telephone said: Actually I might throw together an 'ignore user' one, as that's something I wouldn't mind :)

IIRC someone already made that when naruto was still active. I can't find the thread though. It's also possible that my memory is just messing with me :)

• There might be a problem if more ppl use scripts, especially those that call pages. I have seen serious servers dying a painful death under bot attack. M

• yomeroyomero Member

@dnom said: IIRC someone already made that when naruto was still active. I can't find the thread though

IIRC was just to ignore the user, not to block an user by specific parameters.

@Maounique said: There might be a problem if more ppl use scripts, especially those that call pages.

So, is bad to use extensions then...? The site is public. Even if I want to crawl it I am not doing something bad.

• CoreyCorey Member

WOW!!!... BOOHOOOO...... 28 Domain posts (not counting the announcement) out of 3568 posts. We elected to have this type of forum and it isn't easy to 'hide' things from the home page using it... you can't be 'selective' in the topic titles you see because of it.... if anything we need a different forum system so the crybabies don't have to 'look at' the 28 domain posts when scrolling through topics.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited July 2012

The problem isn't the total number of domain topics, but the "Influx of domain auction topics..." as i've pointed out in my thread. Out of the 28 domain topics you mentioned 12 are from july.

The fact that LET v3 has been online for 10 months and 42% of the domain offering topics were created in the past 3 weeks stands for itself.

btw how long has the Domains category existed?

• CoreyCorey Member

@gsrdgrdghd then let's stop letting people be active here just to sell domain names.... like 'name' and the two that just signed up to sell...

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
    Thanked by 1yomero

@Corey said: @gsrdgrdghd then let's stop letting people be active here just to sell domain names.... like 'name' and the two that just signed up to sell...

Aye. That's what the rules are coming in place for.

我是一个巨魔 (;

edited July 2012

Figured I should post the latest version of the script above: - Just hiding the threads didn't seem right - Instead of just hiding, the "Domains" category will show the number of hidden threads with new replies - If no threads are hidden OR the thread has no new replies, then the alert won't be shown

// ==UserScript==
    // @name        LET - Hide domain auctions
    // @namespace   domain_hider
    // @description Hide domain auctions from homepage on LET
    // @include     http://www.lowendtalk.com/
    // @include     http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussions/*
    // @require     http://www.lowendtalk.com/js/library/jquery.js
    // @version     0.2
    // ==/UserScript==

$(document).ready(hideDomains());

function hideDomains()
    {
        // hide threads
        var count = $("li:not('li.Announcement') + li.Item")
            .has("span.Category:contains('Domains')")
            .hide()
            // find those with new replies
            .find('strong.HasNew')
            .length;

// create alert
        if (count) {
            $('li.Depth1')
                .has("strong:contains('Domains')")
                .find('span')
                .removeClass('Count')    // had to use the 'long' way due to LET parsing html
                .addClass('Alert')       // in comments
                .text(count);
        }
    }
    Thanked by 2yomero djvdorp
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

what if people post their domain offers in General first because they are new to the community. that would be annoying to some =)

• @jcaleb said: what if people post their domain offers in General first because they are new to the community. that would be annoying to some =)

Then a mod would step in and move it to the proper section :)

Thanked by 2jcaleb Infinity
  • yomeroyomero Member

@telephone said: Then a mod would step in and move it to the proper section :)

Ban hammer!!! lol

• namename Member
    edited July 2012

After my first and my last domain auction ended, I will requset @Chief to remove my account and all my comments/disscussion. I think LET community don't welcome me, I'm bothering everyone. Sincere apology to you all.

And I'm a non-English user, LET is the first international forum I signup, I can only read and write simple English, sorry for my poor English.

I'm a stupid cat, don't blame me.

• yomeroyomero Member

@name said: And I'm a non-English user, LET is the first international forum I signup, I can only read and write simple English, sorry for my poor English.

Most people here is in the same situation.

@name said: I think LET community don't welcome me

Isn't about we hate you or not, is because the people just see this place as a forum to sell stuff, and doesn't help in any way...

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited July 2012

@name said: I think LET community don't welcome me

And you haven't seen my welcoming party... Neah, don't be upset, it is just LET is more than just selling and promotion, it is more than a marketplace (at least we like to think it is :P), as such ppl that just want to sell something are not well regarded. Try to read around and get involved, help some ppl and things will change, nobody will be upset you pop up new threads about domains anymore, some will even buy out of sympathy. Besides, your English will improve and everyone will win :) M

• SpiritSpirit Administrator
    edited July 2012

Also age of domain could be a factor. People register relatively dumb domains with some special offer for dollar or two and 2 - 3 months later try to sale them. Unserious.

I suggesting atleast one renewal (1 years old domain) before could be listed here on sale. One year isn't much but it would eliminate some dumb just registered domain sales.

Thanked by 2breton rm_