Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who here would be interested in a low price - multiple location VPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who here would be interested in a low price - multiple location VPN?

FelipeFelipe Member
edited November 2014 in General

Hello guys, first post here but not new to the forums.

So I run a VPN project mostly for the local people of Chile and hispanic talking countries and a few days ago we got new locations adding to existing ones and was wondering.

Would you guys be interested in a low price and multiple locations VPN?
Let's say ~10usd a month ~9usd for 3 months \is the current promotion, if there is enough people willing to pay for this service I could keep it forever or even lower the price\ (yearly would be much lower price, but thats not an option as of right now) and 10+ locations, trying to reach a maximum of 5users per server.

As of now we have locations in:
Sao Paulo, Brasil
New Jersey, US
Texas, US
Las Vegas, US
Montreal, Canada
Paris, France
London, UK

But if people from around the world and not only Chile (and neighboring countries) are interested in this service we could add more locations such as:
Singapore
Florida, US
New York, US
Amsterdam, NL
Hong Kong, CH
Los Angeles, US
Santiago, CL

To say a few, more Europe, US and Asia locations basically.

I've been running this project since february and the payed services is pretty new (less than a month), before that we run only free servers payed by me, having 5 locations back then, and all were free.

We run only OpenVPN as now, but if needed we could add PPTP or L2TP

Best Regards from Chile! :)

Edit: Changed price to the current promotion, and was using < & > sorry my mistake the words didn't show up

Comments

• Well ~10usd a month is not that much cheap.

Here at LET, we can easily get multiple locations like say 3 in USA for around $30/year.

• Meh, we can get a server for less than $1 a month and a VPN is set up in 5 min as well. Needs to be cheaper, $10/m is way to much for this target demographic, the el cheapo lowend user...

• TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited November 2014

More locations would be useful, but prices are bit expensive.

We can get around $5 a month Astrill VPN with 50+ locations. With OpenVPN, PPTP and others.

• @Sady said:
    Well ~10usd a month is not that much cheap.

Here at LET, we can easily get multiple locations like say 3 in USA for around $30/year.

Currently we run on a ~9usd for 3 month plan, maybe we could get that forever, of course you could get a yearly VPS and run a VPN yourself, but just was wondering if there is people that actually would like a service like this for the price.

• Problem there is cheaper alternatives all around, CyberGhost for example offer Multiple locations even for 16 EUR yearly..

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@fitvpn if you not care about privacy sure, CyberGhost VPN was strong criticized.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited November 2014

Cheaper and more reliable alternatives - Private Internet Access @ 3.33/m in 19 locations.

• @Silvenga said:
    Cheaper and more reliable alternatives - Private Internet Access @ 3.33/m in 19 locations.

Of course I could go into that price point for yearly accounts, but we're talking at the moment about 3 month membership at ~9usd, if there is enough clients the prices could go down more and more, while maintaining good quality in the VPN servers.

I know there are other alternatives, but this is also a more personalized experience more than what other (big) companies offer. I started this thread for the bare reason to know opinions and in base of that make a good pricepoint for foreign countries outside Chile.

• @Infinity580 - Yep, but prices is dirt cheap. Also they use geolocation tricks, not real locations Personally I don't like them.

• @fitvpn said:
    Infinity580 - Yep, but prices is dirt cheap. Also they use geolocation tricks, not real locations Personally I don't like them.

Is there a downside to using GeoLocations for VPN usage? I would see GeoLocations for VPNs as a good thing. You can trick sites into thinking your from a different country, yet your connecting to a host thats actually much closer to you. Imagine the speed difference between a VPN in Japan, and a VPN GeoLocated in Japan, but actually located in the United States. I don't know much about GeoLocated IPs, as I've never owned one myself, but I believe this is how it works, but correct me if I'm wrong.

• @NumaPlay said:
    Is there a downside to using GeoLocations for VPN usage? I would see GeoLocations for VPNs as a good thing. You can trick sites into thinking your from a different country, yet your connecting to a host thats actually much closer to you. Imagine the speed difference between a VPN in Japan, and a VPN GeoLocated in Japan, but actually located in the United States. I don't know much about GeoLocated IPs, as I've never owned one myself, but I believe this is how it works, but correct me if I'm wrong.

But what about the people from Japan that wants to use the VPN server of Japan? That would be a misleading advertising

Thanked by 2fitvpn Mark_R
  • $3 /6 months or $6 a year, go cheap!!

• @linuxthefish said:
    $3 /6 months or $6 a year, go cheap!!

If that could be possible I totally would do it, but that doesn't seem the case, in order to keep quality I can't have that price at the time, maybe in the future who knows.

• @Felipe said:
    But what about the people from Japan that wants to use the VPN server of Japan? That would be a misleading advertising

The VPN service would be sold to those living in the United States/Canada region.

• To be honest fella, you're possibly in the wrong place to try and sell this; with cheap services like bargain basement OVZ plans and the super cheap IPv6-only plans, I don't think you can offer anything anyone would be interested in unless you're either a) very, very cheap or b) have some sort of USP.

Also, you may not have noticed that typically VPN offers aren't allowed here, so again, you may not have the best audience here.

• @Nekki said:
    To be honest fella, you're possibly in the wrong place to try and sell this; with cheap services like bargain basement OVZ plans and the super cheap IPv6-only plans, I don't think you can offer anything anyone would be interested in unless you're either a) very, very cheap or b) have some sort of USP.

Also, you may not have noticed that typically VPN offers aren't allowed here, so again, you may not have the best audience here.

Any recommendation dear Nekki?

• Felipe said: Any recommendation dear Nekki?

Sorry no, I don't frequent any forums where people who want VPN can't set it up themselves for a few $ a year.

• @Nekki said:
    Sorry no, I don't frequent any forums where people who want VPN can't set it up themselves for a few $ a year.

Well of course, everyone can bake a cake, go to the grocery store and find the ingredients, the thing is sometimes you want one right now and/or are too lazy, maybe you're in a hurry, maybe you want a different flavour, the point here is that I ask if there is people willing to buy a VPN service in the referred locations and with the mentioned price above.

Anyway I'll keep listening other community members, I do really gratefully appreciate your comments :)

• rokokrokok Member
    edited November 2014

You need to create more feature and value about your brand, since people can easily create vpn with 1$ vps, or simply buy PIA for multiple locations + headache free vpn client for desktop / mobile devices

• @Felipe :
    At 3 USD a month some people are offering 1GB RAM servers over here, a dedicated VPN for someone.
    Also runabove.com - 2.5 USD - 2GB RAM, perfect for VPN.
    Now coming to your point - a multiple location service could be good, like vpn.sh ( which is not responding properly anymore to emails or messages ) but you will need atleast 2 of the following things.

1. Really Good Speed.
    2. Promise and Proven anonymity

Adding over to that I will say keep the pricing simply as 1 USD/1 month and people will be happy. I am sure if you use simply VPS servers on best providers, like ramnode, prometeus, runabove, catalyst, crissic etc you can still keep it really close to that pricing even if you get just 10 customers in beginning.

• you dont simply make one package do you?

Free/month for limited locations with 50gb bandwidth
    $1/month for multiple locations with 200gb bandwidth
    $2/month for multiple locations with 500gb bandwidth
    $5/month for multiple locations with 2TB bandwidth
    $10/month for multiple locations with unlimited bandwidth.

sounds good doesnt it?

• Never, ever give out a free VPN. Ever.

• FelipeFelipe Member
    edited November 2014

@rokok said:
    You need to create more feature and value about your brand, since people can easily create vpn with 1$ vps, or simply buy PIA for multiple locations + headache free vpn client for desktop / mobile devices

rokok What do you mean by 'create more feature and value'?

@darknessends said:
    Felipe :
    At 3 USD a month some people are offering 1GB RAM servers over here, a dedicated VPN for someone.
    Also runabove.com - 2.5 USD - 2GB RAM, perfect for VPN.
    Now coming to your point - a multiple location service could be good, like vpn.sh ( which is not responding properly anymore to emails or messages ) but you will need atleast 2 of the following things.

1. Really Good Speed.
    2. Promise and Proven anonymity

Adding over to that I will say keep the pricing simply as 1 USD/1 month and people will be happy. I am sure if you use simply VPS servers on best providers, like ramnode, prometeus, runabove, catalyst, crissic etc you can still keep it really close to that pricing even if you get just 10 customers in beginning.

Thank you so much for your opinion darknessends, at the time being we use both cloud and non-cloud VPS services, such as prometeus/iperweb, crissic, buyvm, digitalocean, atlantic, vultr, host1plus and so on, I have had the opportunity to try many brands (new and old) and I keep doing that.

As of the price, if people were interested I could maybe offer a pricepoint of 2,5usd/month on a yearly plan but do you think people are going for unlimited bandwidth or not at all?

Edit: Typed runabove instead of vultr sorry my bad, I'm still testing those servers, haven't launched any VPN on them.

@creep said:
    you dont simply make one package do you?

Free/month for limited locations with 50gb bandwidth
    $1/month for multiple locations with 200gb bandwidth
    $2/month for multiple locations with 500gb bandwidth
    $5/month for multiple locations with 2TB bandwidth
    $10/month for multiple locations with unlimited bandwidth.

sounds good doesnt it?

Yes it does sound good, I liked that, maybe not with those prices but I understand your point :)

Thanks everyone commenting about this, I need more feedback as I really want to jump into the international market.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited November 2014

How do I take this seriously when your avatar is a NASA image? My picture is me.

Otherwise, your service simply isn't cheap enough for anyone here to care (sorry).

That's a problem I see a lot recently, and with people like @texteditor around... Heh.

• @GoodHosting said:
    How do I take this seriously when your avatar is a NASA image? My picture is me.

Otherwise, your service simply isn't cheap enough for anyone here to care (sorry).

That's a problem I see a lot recently, and with people like texteditor around... Heh.

Well it seems like the forum has used my gravatar profile image, something I have never changed since I registered in gravatar haha

But either way I took a picture just for you http://imgur.com/q0ZOv3w excuse my face since is late at night and I can't sleep, if you want my facebook send me a PM, I would love to chat with you if you wanted to.

• @Felipe,

Do not do unlimited at all, it seems attractive but you will attract most of the crap users. Instead give them generous bandwidths like 250GB and all. I assure you 90% of them might not even use > 50GB. To provide them bandwidth profusely in a unlimited fashion is just inviting an abuser to yourself, like a china based hacker can really exploit it and keep complaining that you can not stop him. So basically have fair limits that for most of people will actually feel like unlimited. Most of the people - that are genuine have an idea of what it is going to be their usage.

• @darknessends said:
    Felipe,

Do not do unlimited at all, it seems attractive but you will attract most of the crap users. Instead give them generous bandwidths like 250GB and all. I assure you 90% of them might not even use > 50GB. To provide them bandwidth profusely in a unlimited fashion is just inviting an abuser to yourself, like a china based hacker can really exploit it and keep complaining that you can not stop him. So basically have fair limits that for most of people will actually feel like unlimited. Most of the people - that are genuine have an idea of what it is going to be their usage.

Good recommendation, thanks I'll do that :)

• FelipeFelipe Member
    edited November 2014

Double post, sorry.

• @Felipe said:
    I took a picture just for you http://imgur.com/q0ZOv3w excuse my face since is late at night and I can't sleep, if you want my facebook send me a PM, I would love to chat with you if you wanted to.

@GoodHosting I do believe @Felipe just one-upped you, since he even has a romantic hand-written sign in his photo, while yours doesn't :P.

• GoodHosting said: How do I take this seriously when your avatar is a NASA image?

Ah the excuse guy getting on a soap box about an avatar