Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions about dedicated server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some questions about dedicated server.

Hello, right now i own one dedicated server with this specs:

Dual Xeon 5150
2.5Ghz - 2 processors 
4 Cores / 4 Threads
8GB DDR2``
2x 250GB SATA

From wholesaleinternet.
With proxmox installed and running 4 VPS with windows 2008, i use the vps to run chrome extensions, 3 Chrome services running at same time on each VPS, the problem is after running for hours the VPS they slow down a lot, here is a pic of the stats http://prntscr.com/545gac

The real CPU usage is 90%, its always high and i don't know how to limit the cpu usage i can only assign the CPU cores but not the max %.

So the questions are, i looked for other dedicated server with this specs (ovh.com):

Processor   Intel Xeon E3 1225v2
Cores/Threads   4 cores/ 4 threads
Frequency   3.2 GHz+
RAM 32 GB DDR3
Disks   3 x 120GB SSD

I readed about E3 and i understood that E series are the best for VPS hosting, but this time i looking to host 16 VPS

It is possible to host it without the problems that i stated before?

Is there any other alternative to proxmox also noob friendly that i can use to setup Windows VPS?

I need to say that im noob with this but im very tired to keep buying cheap VPS that doest work well

Comments

• Disk space wont be sufficient.

• ruso123ruso123 Member
    edited November 2014

@VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    Disk space wont be sufficient.

15GB for each vps so diskspace its not a problem

• edited November 2014

@ruso123 said:

3 disks ( most probably RAID-0 / 1 + 1 for caching although I dont know about ssd caching ssd lol ) I dont know if it will support much. Coming to the next point is in KVM there is always a requirement to leave atleast 4GB as swap ( mainly for the node to function ) so you'd have to use 1GB per VM with windows.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited November 2014

VPSRAIDSolutions said: 3 disks ( most probably RAID-5)

I think you didn't saw that its SSD, so it can't be RAID 5.

@ruso123 E3 are good for game servers, not as great for VPS hosting. E5 would be better but the cost is higher.

For 16 VPS, that should do great, you wouldn't have much problems at all.

• @GIANT_CRAB said:

Yeah Raid it says Soft, i don't know what that mean, so you say an E3 with 4 cores and 4 threads can run 16 vps smoothly? but why my current 4 vps with Dual Xeon 5150 that is 1/3 of E3 cpu benchmark cant run them smoothly?

• @ruso123 said:
    Yeah Raid it says Soft, i don't know what that mean, so you say an E3 with 4 cores and 4 threads can run 16 vps smoothly? but why my current 4 vps with Dual Xeon 5150 that is 1/3 of E3 cpu benchmark cant run them smoothly?

Depends on the stuff you're running mate.

• @GIANT_CRAB said:

Sorry , Didn't read the whole.

• @VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    Depends on the stuff you're running mate.

As i stated i run 3 Chrome browsers per server

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited November 2014

ruso123 said: Yeah Raid it says Soft, i don't know what that mean, so you say an E3 with 4 cores and 4 threads can run 16 vps smoothly?

ruso123 said: As i stated i run 3 Chrome browsers per server

Were you using SSD in the previous Dual Xeon 5150 server?

EDIT:

Just saw the 2XHDD.

Yes, the E3 should do fine.

EDIT AGAIN:

There was high CPU consumption most likely because you didn't have sufficient RAM.
    With the E3 that has 32GB ram, it should do fine.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN:

16VPS running windows 2008 and 3 Chrome services running at same time on each VPS WILL NOT work fine.

• Better to run Windows 7 or maybe Windows XP (You'll have to modify ISO) to minimize the resources usage.

• @Ruso123 - Are you running software RAID or JBOD? What does iostat -x look like on the Proxmox server?

What is the state of those disks, what model are they?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • I think you should go with the new server you have choosen or better if you can go with E3-1230 or 1245(if it is available).

You are getting faster rams much better CPU and SSD's.

Also with 3SSD you can do something like 2 in RAID1 and third drive for backup or hotspare.

I hope that helps :)

Regards

• >

So how much ram i must have Free to reduce CPU usage if i have 32GB ram and i need to run 16 VPS.

@Sady said:
    Better to run Windows 7 or maybe Windows XP (You'll have to modify ISO) to minimize the resources usage.

I will try installing MicroXP

@MarkTurner said:
    Ruso123 - Are you running software RAID or JBOD? What does iostat -x look like on the Proxmox server?

What is the state of those disks, what model are they?

AS i said before im noob about this, i will read about RAID.

@The_creator said:
    I think you should go with the new server you have choosen or better if you can go with E3-1230 or 1245(if it is available).

You are getting faster rams much better CPU and SSD's.

Also with 3SSD you can do something like 2 in RAID1 and third drive for backup or hotspare.

Yes, i can order E3-1230 just 5 extra euro

• @ruso123 said:

Seems like lowering the ram per VM would help. Why not run each windows vps with less ram? Your io delay is a little high

• i think the issue is with that iowait, 3x windows KVM will kill HDD I/O with normal disk...

• The_creatorThe_creator Member
    edited November 2014

Go with E3-1230 or 45(event better) variant you get hyper threading which is added advantage for 5bucks.You should be able to do 14 to 16vps easily on this machine.

Ideally you may wanna keep at least 2GB RAM free in this case.

Regards

• linuxthefish said: i think the issue is with that iowait, 3x windows KVM will kill HDD I/O with normal disk...

This.

Windows isn't really what you want to do, neither would you want to run 3 chrome services. Its very IO intensive and consumes quite a lot of RAM

The_creator said: Go with E3-1230 or 45(event better) variant you get hyper threading which is added advantage for 5bucks.You should be able to do 14 to 16vps easily on this machine.

No, that will not work because he's running Windows with 3 chrome services.

@ruso123 The max you can do with the new E3 server you rent would be 6 to 8 VPS.