Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Users/Customers, do you specifically look for OpenVZ VPS's?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Users/Customers, do you specifically look for OpenVZ VPS's?

Do you specifically shop around for OpenVZ VPS's? If yes, why OpenVZ? What it is that catches your interest and make you buy it over KVM/XEN/VMWare powered VPS's?

Comments

• I think the abundant overselling drives the OVZ pricing down to pennies.

• Yes, I look for OpenVZ.

Why, resources/price.

Catches my interest why? None of my projects rely on custom kernels or dedicated resources.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • said: Do you specifically shop around for OpenVZ VPS's? If yes, why OpenVZ? What it is that catches your interest and make you buy it over KVM/XEN/VMWare powered VPS's?

Personally, no. The things I consider:

• Usage. For smaller servers, I prefer OpenVZ. It seems that there's less overhead using the host's kernel as opposed to an isolated one.
    • If the software I'm using requires its' own kernel (like R1Soft CDP agent) I'll avoid OVZ
    • Service support. Things like TUN, TAP and IPTables for example need configuration on the host node. This means if they're not configured correctly, I'm wasting my time making a ticket that I shouldn't have to.
    • Cost. If resources are identical, but cost differs greatly, I'll usually choose the cheaper of the two.

Even with the greater isolation offered by KVM/Xen, overselling is still possible. I would imagine that CPU over allocation still remains problematic regardless of virtualization type. I had a VPS at RamNode shutdown for high CPU usage as a result of Java; they told me that the result would likely be the same even if I moved from OVZ to KVM.

• I specifically avoid OpenVZ (and in fact have been closing down most that I have).

• Some level of isolation (container-to-conatiner, and host-to-container). i.e., KVM > OpenVZ, but not perfect, of course; nothing is.
    • Control of Kernel (for firewalling, etc); I don't have to teach a host how to add modules I need. I've had to do that a few times too many. KVM > OpenVZ
    • Much more flexibility in running non-standard OS's or filesystem configurations. KVM > OpenVZ.
    • It doesn't matter how much better performance it may offer to me as some of these items are more important than all out performance.

Cheers

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

For 99% of usage, I pick OpenVZ every time. For that 1% I'll go with KVM but only if I need something specific.

• i can understand in KVM/Xen you get "dedicated" resources. but why most providers give small bandwidth in KVM compared to their openvz price?

• IceCreamIceCream Member
    edited November 2014

For gameservers and such which don't rely on special kernel modules etc. I'd always choose OpenVZ, due to the containerization having a better perfomance than KVM/Xen etc. I would only choose a reliable host though, from which I know that it doesn't oversell (eg. RamNode).

On the other hand I sometimes hate OpenVZ for not supporting several kernel modules (and an own kernel) like sit for 6in4. There should be some virtualization which offers the perfomance of OpenVZ and the benefits of KVM/Xen (Though a custom kernel wouldn't even be needed. If it's somehow the same as the host node's, just that the end user is able to load certain modules or use specific programs/has specific rights it would alright) but I doubt that it's possible anyway.

About the dedicated resources with Xen/KVM: It's also possible to oversell those virtualizations, however it's harder than doing it with OpenVZ.

• LeeLee Veteran

Do I specifically shop around for OpenVZ?

Unless I specifically need something that requires a custom kernel, robust isolation, ring fenced resource or whatever then OpenVZ is just fine for me.

The important element in choosing any OVZ plan is the provider. Choose the right provider and it will be managed so well that it won't make any difference whether it's OVZ, Xen or KVM. Choose the wrong provider and it will run like a bag of shit regardless of which virtualisation.

OpenVZ, KVM or Xen, none are better than the other in the wrong hands.

Overselling of OVZ is not a bad thing, it's actually good because it uses the bulk of the resources effectively rather than idling wastefully. But again, it requires a provider that knows when they sold enough rather than one that thinks "Just one more, it will be fine".

This of course drive the price down but it does not have to affect quality or performance. Many providers can demonstrate that, you know who they are. But you also know those who fail badly because they price so low that the container volume is too high. Ram is not often the first to fall over, it's the disk performance.

Otherwise, where OVZ is not the right fit, I still opt for Xen over KVM at the moment but appreciate KVM is edging out in front.

OVZ is oversold with most providers no matter how good, I accept and appreciate that but want a cheaper price in return. When I look at Xen or KVM I won't go near a "budget provider" at all and I am willing to pay because I demand the best from those types of providers.

Bottom line is that I choose my provider before anything else.

• OpenVZ shouldn't even be existing anymore in today's industry if you ask me.

KVM and XEN are VERY reliable and support what you wanna accomplish, why choose less?? OpenVZ isnt going to enhance that experience. If I see a openvz provider i first encounter it as an kiddy host trying to make a quick buck - do you blame me? this technology is optimized for this purpose and will be used this way until people realize theres much better ways to go.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • Users/Customers, do you specifically look for OpenVZ KVM VPS's?

Yes

• Mark_R said: OpenVZ shouldn't even be existing anymore in today's industry if you ask me.

Technology wise maybe, but I think from provider's point of view they need to make profit by blending the type of services they offer.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited November 2014

Well, to be honest with you all, we've never offered OpenVZ. Only XEN and KVM up to this point. I was curious if customers do specifically look for OpenVZ VM's.

We've considered offering Virtuozzo at some point, just like MediaTemple does. However, there doesn't seem to be much demand for it. Needless to mention, it'll cost at least $10.00/mo for a 512 MB Ram if we were to offer it.

Another option would be OpenVZ on Proxmox, which seems to be functioning somewhat decently.

If there's no real demand for the product, then I suppose there's no point in offering it. We're going to offer $5.00/mo VM's (512 MB Ram / 20 GB SSD / 2 CPU Cores) towards December, but those will be KVM VM's.

Edit (typo fix)

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n tr1cky
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

vRozenSch00n said: Technology wise maybe, but I think from provider's point of view they need to make profit

no one cares about that haha :)

I look for Xen or KVM unless I just want a quick disposable container, I don't agree that OpenVZ has no place, the cheapo that will do market will always be big if not the majority.

LES/NanoVZ etc being an example if someone just wants an irc bouncer or quick VPN or sandbox that is exactly what it serves it simply would not be possible to do that with other technologies right now.

• DalekOfSkaro said: $5.00/mo VM's (512 GB Ram / 20 GB SSD / 2 CPU Cores)

Before any tries to hold you to that s/512 GB/512 MB/

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • One thing i don't like with OpenVZ is that it usually comes with cuted OS. For example in Debian 7 i recently seen the ones without basic tools like "killall" or "logger", which cause problems like this https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-6550 - you need to reinstall packages or install additional packages which usually comes with OS by default. And it's not easy to find which package you need to install / reinstall. I still not sure how to get back "killall" command in some OpenVZ instances with Debian 7 :)

And many LET providers oversell OpenVZ nodes or even tries to fool users saying it's dedicated server and not a VPS (not everyone have a skill to find out is it VPS or not; especially CPanel users can not ). @drserver for example.

And, well, it's bad that it comes from RedHat and does not support newer kernels correctly.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • OVZ only if project has low budget.

• No. My first vps was an openvz vps with 2gb of ram + 4 core $48/yr. I only used it a couple of days and then left idle.

• I use OVZ cuz it's cheap, but my budget for VPSes isn't all that high. I could probably get a KVM at another provider for the same price as the OVZ boxes I have at RamNode, but I like RamNode soo...

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2014

@Profforg said:
    ... I still not sure how to get back "killall" command in some OpenVZ instances with Debian 7 :)

@Profforg, to get "killall"

aptitude install psmisc

There are a number of ways to find out all the packages you have installed on Debian, one way is:

aptitude search '?installed!?automatic'

Or

dpkg -l

It is usually the first thing I check if it is OpenVZ (and even when installing from a fresh ISO on a KVM) to ensure I am going from a known list of packages and there is nothing in there that I don't want or that is suspicious.

• geekalot said: It is usually the first thing I check if it is OpenVZ (and even when installing from a fresh ISO on a KVM) to ensure I am going from a known list of packages and there is nothing in there that I don't want or that is suspicious.

Good idea, some providers use outdated sources lists (archive.debian) or plain stupid mirrors like ones in china or something for EU server...

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

@Profforg said: And many LET providers oversell OpenVZ nodes or even tries to fool users saying it's dedicated server and not a VPS (not everyone have a skill to find out is it VPS or not; especially CPanel users can not ). @drserver for example.

Interesting :)

You are telling me now that someone of drServer staff said to client that he is having dedicated server and we sold him VPS ?

Only "dedicated" VPS that we have are abusivecores.
    We don't sell Cpanel nor we support cpanel users.

• MarkTurner said: Before any tries to hold you to that s/512 GB/512 MB/

Oh lord! Yes, I fixed it! lol what a day!

• I don't mind using OpenVZ if the provider is quality.

• kcaj said: I don't mind using OpenVZ if the provider is P R E M I U M.

Fixed

• @drserver said:
    We don't sell Cpanel nor we support cpanel users.

Just some kid who thinks he can buy dedicated servers for like $7/month.

• emgemg Veteran

I have a mix of OpenVZ and KVM VPSs. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

My first VPS was OpenVZ - it was inexpensive and I didn't really know what to look for in VPSs. It was a great "starter" VPS. Almost immediately, I ran into problems. OpenVZ replaces or edits certain files when you restart the VPS, and I had problems getting iptables to start and work correctly because of how OpenVZ works. Ethernet device names were different, and there were other subtle and not-so-subtle differences. I expected templates that were identical to a generic Linux installation from the ISO image, but the templates I got had unfamiliar packages and configuration settings that did not match what I expected. One OpenVZ VPS had a bad clock setting. It took a lot of troubleshooting time to figure out that I could not fix it on my VPS; the provider took their sweet time to correct the clock on the node. (It was off by hours and minutes - nothing convenient. You gotta wonder how they could set up a node without connecting it to an NTP server somewhere.)

I understand how to work with OpenVZ VPSs. They have the advantages of lower cost for the same resources (RAM, disk, and "bandwidth"), plus potentially better performance compared with other VPS types.

Still, I prefer KVM VPSs because they are installed and configured the same way as the Linux computers and virtual machines that I am familiar with. I do not need to squeeze out every last bit of performance or value, so KVM is a better choice for me.

• geekalot said: @Profforg, to get "killall"

aptitude install psmisc

Good to know, thanks :)

Just wondering if apt or aptitude will have a way to install command like "killall" by package name :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I have also a mix KVM/OVZ but i dont buy any OVZ anymore.

• OVZ is dead to me. I am going to phase out all my ovz servers (i unfortunately have yearlies that have quite a few months left on them). Cheap dedis and KVM only from now on.

• I have two OpenVZ boxes but I'm thinking of changing them on the next renewal.
    With tools like Docker and the like not supporting openVz because of it's old kernel it's weird we don't see more low end offers with kvm.