Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sourcing a freelance sysadmin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sourcing a freelance sysadmin

squibssquibs Member
edited November 2014 in Help

Where would you go to find a good trustworthy webserver sysadmin for occasional ad-hoc work, for no more than $50/hr?

I've never had trouble outsourcing web dev, but sysadmin work is trickier - no portfolios for starters, unless they contribute to open source projects I guess. The problem is most good sysadmins are in fulltime work and the contractors seem to command very high hourly rates.

No PMs thanks - I'm not currently recruiting, just researching.

Comments

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2014

I'd go here but I'm slightly biased on that: http://www.webmasterworld.com/commercial_exchange/

Reason being is that there's a lot of old-timers on there who have experience, many people who started out in online marketing in the 90s were previously in IT. Not sure if the pay scale would entice them though, it's a global community so perhaps if it's suitable to you RE: language and time difference, you can hire someone from outwith your area.

There's probably a few people on this forum who'd be more than able (and willing).

Thanked by 1squibs
  • wychwych Member
    edited November 2014

I have a few trusted contacts I would broach this with but other than that I wouldn't have much better of an idea than you as I would only trust my contacts that have built up a good working relationship with myself on a server I administer.

Thanked by 1squibs
  • jhjh Member

This is exactly what we do: www.loadingdeck.com. I'm sure a few members here can vouch for us.

Thanked by 1squibs
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

I'm a black belt in google fu. Helps alot. :)

• Pm me, $25/hr

Thanked by 1squibs
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Shoot me a PM. The simpler the job the cheaper.

Thanked by 1squibs
  • Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it. Some good ideas there. Google fu has taken me far, but these days I'm old enough to know when to delegate to someone who really knows what they are doing!

Thanked by 1Meo
  • I'll also able to help if the job is something rational :) I am working per request, not per hour (like most of "sysadmins"). I have fulltime work at local network provider, but it's not a problem because i can access the internet all the time :)

• @matthewvz said:
    Shoot me a PM. The simpler the job the cheaper.

@squibs I can recommend @Matthewvz very highly. He's a very experienced and great guy and will always solve your problem for you.

Thanked by 1matthewvz
  • @0xdragon Thanks - a personal recommendation always carries great weight with me.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@squibs said:
    Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it. Some good ideas there. Google fu has taken me far, but these days I'm old enough to know when to delegate to someone who really knows what they are doing!

A great part of successful troubleshooting is getting the correct information in the beginning.

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

Hi,

We have sysadmin services, some thing for fix prices, or hourly based (15 EUR / hour). https://www.mikrovps.eu/linux-sysadmin

• Maybe you can check out odesk.com, elance.com, freelancer.com and the like. There are lots of freelancers in there :)