Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 14.04: Flashcache/EnhanceIO
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 14.04: Flashcache/EnhanceIO

Hi,

Anyone successfully installed Flashcache or EnhanceIO on Ubuntu 14.04? I'm about to do it but I'm worried it won't be compatible with the kernel since both project have not been updated for several months (1+ year for Flashcache).

If anyone is running it, how stable is it?

Thanks!

P.S.: bcache is not an option since I have to access the bcache'd partition from Windows using an ext4 driver.

Comments

• edited November 2014

I'm actually running enhanced io on ubuntu 14.04 server and it is pretty stable. I have link on my computer on how to install it in ubuntu but I'm not on my pc right now.

• And I got flashcache working in my PC now. Been running some load tests and so far it's very stable! Pretty straightforward to setup too.

• MassNodesMassNodes Member
    edited November 2014

You should try using bcache. I've gotten better performance from it and it's easier to setup/manage.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bcache

• EnhanceIO speeds up chrome, Libre Office, etc from 17 seconds to about 4 secs. Boot speeds up from about 50 seconds to 25.

If you put EnhanceIO into initramfs early boot (initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top) the boot increases from 25 seconds to 14.

For Kernel > 3.17 there are a couple / few dozen lines of code you need to change as per github issue #84 or #85 (if I remember correctly) in order to compile the code successfully.

If you want EnhanceIO in early boot (to save those 11 seconds) you need to compile eio_cli with pyinstaller (python compiler) which also requires you to copy a couple extra library files to the initrdl.img (initramfs created) ram boot disk.

I spent four months on this project in calendar time, a couple hundred hours of real time albeit most of it educational.

Hth.