Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ownCloud on VPS, file-storage on local Raspberry Pi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ownCloud on VPS, file-storage on local Raspberry Pi

I am thinking of getting a VPS just for installing owncloud on it. The VPS will just be the front-end, as the storage should be my local Raspberry connected with my HDDs here at home. As the Pi is already running 24/7 doing some local NAS stuff, it would be nice to get the data online.

Problem with installing OwnCloud on the Pi is that the little machine is way to slow for running Nginx and SQLlite. It's possible to install and run, but it doesn't make any fun working with it.

So, I am thinking of getting a low-cost VPS, just 128/128 or 256/256 to install OwnCloud on it, then link the resources to my local Pi.
Anyone has experience with this weird setup? Do you think I will gain speed with this? I think the bottleneck of the Pi running ownloud is the slow CPU. So even with a cheap VPS I hope it will be faster..

Atm there are 5TB connected to the Pi. Using a storage VPS would cost quite a penny for this stuff, that's why I am thinking of setting it up in the described way.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• sc754sc754 Member
    edited November 2014

@german_psycho said:
    I am thinking of getting a VPS just for installing owncloud on it. The VPS will just be the front-end, as the storage should be my local Raspberry connected with my HDDs here at home. As the Pi is already running 24/7 doing some local NAS stuff, it would be nice to get the data online.

Problem with installing OwnCloud on the Pi is that the little machine is way to slow for running Nginx and SQLlite. It's possible to install and run, but it doesn't make any fun working with it.

So, I am thinking of getting a low-cost VPS, just 128/128 or 256/256 to install OwnCloud on it, then link the resources to my local Pi.
    Anyone has experience with this weird setup? Do you think I will gain speed with this? I think the bottleneck of the Pi running ownloud is the slow CPU. So even with a cheap VPS I hope it will be faster..

Atm there are 5TB connected to the Pi. Using a storage VPS would cost quite a penny for this stuff, that's why I am thinking of setting it up in the described way.
    Any suggestions?

Could you not get a cheap vps ie 128mb one then setup an openvpn server on the vps, connect the pi to the openvpn as a client and finally forward all your ports through the tunnel. You could even access your samba share for instance remotely that way too.

But remember you'll have the bottleneck of your home internets upload speed over the net

• @sc754: He doesn't want the VPS for accessing the Pi remotely, but to offload the computational load from the (rather slow) Raspberry to a faster VPS.

@german_psycho: I haven't used owncloud myself yet, but I assume it will require a local mountpoint to write its data to, so you'll have to make sure that your VPS supports FUSE to mount something like SSHFS and that your internet connection at home is fast enough for this (with a domestic plan, especially the upload speed -- which becomes the download speed when using the owncloud -- will be very limited).

• Yeah, the heavy load of running the webinterface should be "outsourced" to another server.
    I have 10Mbit upstream, enough for the things I'd like to do.
    As I said, the sharing is not the problem. For this I could just install an FTP client on the Pi to access the data. But I'd really would like to have a "cloud", cause the files are shared between different family members and some friends. Rights management with ownCloud is nice, you can access the data via website or mobile app.

ownCloud is capable of adding off site data via FTP, webDAV, etc. So this should work.

Maybe I should just get some cheap VPS for a test month and give it a try ;)

• Wouldn't it be easier, better and cheaper in the long run to just get a more powerful computer for at home instead of the Pi?

• sc754sc754 Member
    edited November 2014

Could you not get a better development board than the pi, check out miniand.com

Alternatively have you installed apc on your pi? I found this on https://samhobbs.co.uk/2013/10/install-owncloud-on-your-raspberry-pi

"PHP is a server side scripting language. When you request a page on the server, the server has to compile the page from the PHP source.

Because your Pi is such a low powered machine, this can be really slow.

Luckily, there’s a PHP cache you can use that will store a pre-compiled copy of pages in your RAM after they have been visited already. This makes a MASSIVE difference – before installing the cache, it took 21 seconds to load the index page, afterwards a mere 7-8 seconds."

Thanked by 1user123
  • Only briefly read the comments, so I could be off base.

A lot of people run btsync between the two servers and use owncloud as a user interface.