Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• subigosubigo Member

@kbar said: it's used because it's an easily comparable number, and usually is a pretty decent indicator of overselling

It has it's place when talking about a vps (though I'd argue against dd at all), but people bring it up in threads like this, about dedicated servers.

Thanked by 1Surge
  • @Pats does it have a motherboard that supports 2x CPUs? Because it comes with 2 processors at Datashack.

• AsadAsad Member

@Satellite There's an empty socket if you look at the third picture of the blade server in Pats link..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's not bad it's just that I ordered it with an expectation of high I/O. I don't expect two SSD for $40, but if you offer it I'll buy it. They did, I did, I want an explanation.

• PatsPats Member

@jarland said: with an expectation of high I/O

their previous offer with the same engine but with 500GB SATA 7200rpm didn't last long..
    Dual Opteron 2216 (4 cores)
    4GB ECC RAM
    500GB Hard Drive
    10TB Transfer on 100Mbit Port
    Any Linux Distribution , Free DirectAdmin for Linux, Unmanaged
    5 Usable IPv4 IP addresses
    Server Grade, HP Hardware
    $0 Setup / $49 per month

for I/O, 10000rpm SAS should be better than 7200rpm SATA ?

for I/O, 10000rpm SAS should be better than 7200rpm SATA ?

But much slower than an SSD. Don't get me wrong, I know it's good. But if my first impression is being given hardware beneath what I ordered, how am I supposed to trust them? To be fair, I never asked them to put an SSD on their front page.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@subigo said: 63MB/s is more than enough for even a site with heavy database usage

And the absolutely best thing here is that these 63 MB/s are fully yours, and they will never fall to 5 MB/s because some neighbour on your node decided to run Minecraft or whatever. So ioping will flatline at 0.1 ms at all times, unless it's YOUR app running. Compare that to even some of the "good reputation" VPS, where you can sometimes get b/s like ioping spikes to 2-3 seconds because of the load that other people make, which you can't control, you can only submit a ticket and wait for hours hoping for the best.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

It's out of stock now :( The $35 one with the 146GB -SSD- SAS (thanks to @MrLadoodle)

• @dominicl said: It's out of stock now :( The $35 one with the 146GB SAS.

Corrected.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

• PatsPats Member

@jarland said: Don't get me wrong, I know it's good

No Wrong, i was trying to prove myself if this deal was better than their previous one.. :P

@jarland said: I never asked them to put an SSD on their front page

i know u never asked them to, dont worry buddy, i'll back u whoever asks for proof :D

jokes aside i think it could be mistake from their end as u can see the specs of the drive in page 2 of this thread. Secondly they know how strong is their pre-sales team(if at all they have), so they cannot afford to put something wrong and get more pre-sales queries. As far as i understand their loop - get stock, advertise, get hands-full orders, get busy on billing & installations.

Thanked by 1jar

Love this server. I've not worked with HP ProLiant systems before so the big shock to me is the iLO feature. Full KVM access to the machine without having to request it each time or invest in the hardware. Not uncommon these days to have similar solutions, but I like how in depth it is.

Support, incredible. Extremely fast, friendly, down to earth. As seen above I'm not thrilled about thinking I was getting the world's cheapest SSD and then not, but here's me recommending DataShack, short of testing their network performance over time.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said: short of testing their network performance over time

I would be interested in that, I am currently looking at a colo here and that is 7 eur but is colo, not dedi also has only 5 tb, if you can pull all those 10 tb in a month.
    I would be looking for another offer like this if network proves ok.
    M

• @jarland: so what did they do for you once you said that?

@HalfEatenPie said: so what did they do for you once you said that?

Billing should be in today and then I'll get to see how they handle it. Support was more than willing to move me to another machine or try and see if they could get an SSD in the blade if I wanted, but said they weren't sure what billing would do with it if they did.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

Yeah I have two support tickets that are "waiting for billing".

First thing I heard from Support was "I'll send this to billing".

Seriously...

Ninja Edit: Ok so I love the box they got me, I just wish it had a better hard drive and support wouldn't immediately just say "I'll send you to billing" but we'll see how it plays out.

• ztecztec Member

I still dont got it. :( )

• @ztec said: I still dont got it. :( )

when did you order yours

• earlearl Member

@Maounique said: colo here and that is 7 eur

Wow.. you can get colo that cheap!!

• @jarland said: Love this server. I've not worked with HP ProLiant systems before so the big shock to me is the iLO feature. Full KVM access to the machine without having to request it each time or invest in the hardware. Not uncommon these days to have similar solutions, but I like how in depth it is.

DataShack have servers with iLO?

@MrLadoodle said: DataShack have servers with iLO?

Tis wonderful. This machine overheated on 3/26/2009...

@earl said: Wow.. you can get colo that cheap!!

http://www.limehost.ro//servere/dedicated-models.html
    But also 7 eur setup. They offer 1 gbps but only 5 tb after that is 10 mb flat.
    M

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@Maounique

Tried to open the link but Malwarebytes seems to have blocked it!! does the same to volumedrive.com as well.. not sure why.

I wish I could find a colo where I am for under $10/month.. the cheapest I found was $50/month for 1u, I don't even care if it's 1mbit, would be great for testing

edited July 2012

MBAM blocks it ? Gee, that is strange...
    It is pretty close to me but not sure how close to you. I copy paste here and translate when needed:

Colocare Echipament Client (colo customer equipment)

1 Gbps standard (2, 3 and 10 Gbps optional)
    1 Gbps Best Effort 5TB Traffic (full speed during the day, minimum 250Mbps during evening)
    Nelimitat (unlimited)
    1 publica sau mai multe (one public or more)
    la cerere: KVM prin Internet, remote DVD/ISO (at request, KVMoIP, remode dvd/ISO)
    Alimentare curent si disponibilitate Internet 100% (power and link availability 100%)
    "Remote hands"
    30-60 minute(s)
    Dimitrie Pompeiu 9-9A, Bucuresti, Romania

The final price depends on extras you order, but basic is 7 eur setup, 7 eur a month (this probably means that you get your box there, they hook it up to internet and power).
    If you need more IPs, more bw, KVM and s**t, that is extra.
    M

Thanked by 1earl
  • DamianDamian Member

@rolz14 said: not sure how i can find out drive information as hdparm and smartctl didn't seem to work

hpacucli - HP Arracy Configuration Utility, CLI: http://www.datadisk.co.uk/html_docs/redhat/hpacucli.htm

It's somewhat difficult to install on modern Linux distributions.

• KairusKairus Member

@Satellite I would be worried about 63MB/s for two 10k SAS drives in RAID 0. Those speeds seem a bit slow for one drive, and in RAID 0 you should be getting at least 100+. Since you're in RAID 0, if one drive dies you're going to lose everything. One of those drives could be failing, who knows how many hours are on it (can you even check SMART data in RAID)?

• @Kairus said: @Satellite I would be worried about 63MB/s for two 10k SAS drives in RAID 0. Those speeds seem a bit slow for one drive, and in RAID 0 you should be getting at least 100+. Since you're in RAID 0, if one drive dies you're going to lose everything. One of those drives could be failing, who knows how many hours are on it (can you even check SMART data in RAID)?

If its Software Raid 0 you can check each drive.