Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you consider yourself a quality top shelf provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you consider yourself a quality top shelf provider?

TarballZTarballZ Member
edited October 2014 in General

Now, before all the teenagers here with a node and half a dozen OpenVZ containers hosted on it inflate their egos like roosters inflate their chests before a fight, you should all know that I'm talking about real hosting providers here.

To me a real hosting provider in 2014 has to be realible, professional and not spend time trolling on forums. His company has to be registered and be more than a one man show. When things go wrong he shouldn't use stupid excuses like "backlogged tickets due to personal issues". I don't care what happened, if I have to wait 3 hours for a reply I move. A reliable provider has to be able to offer more than one location, own his hardware and be profitable and financially stable. Then, and only then I can feel confident to sign up and entrust said provider with my data. Maybe I subscribe to a minority that likes quality over cheap prices and couldn't care less about a deal, but regardless, anyone who handles data should be responsible.

So I ask you: how many of you consider yourselves top notch providers and why? What makes you special Anand how do you stand out from the rest? Why should I sign up with you and spend a decent amount of money on your services every month or prepay yearly? Please 've as detailed as possible. Thank you.

Comments

• Before you attack people here based on their age it would be nice if you could disclose yours. Judging from your forum's history in regard to foul language and lack of manners you are either not to old as well, and puberty's hormone trips kick in, or you really simply do lack those manners.

• @alessio said:

>

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to strike a nerve...

• You did not answer the question.

Thanked by 3Silvenga Pwner sirmbhe
  • @TarballZ said:
    not spend time trolling on forums

@TarballZ said:
    So I ask you: how many of you consider yourselves top notch providers and why? What makes you special Anand how do you stand out from the rest? Why should I sign up with you and spend a decent amount of money on your services every month or prepay yearly? Please 've as detailed as possible

Well in theory anyone who posts in here wouldn't be a 'quality top shelf provider' by your own definition.

• TarballZTarballZ Member
    edited October 2014

@alessio said:
    You did not answer the question.

Considering how I worded the text above in the thread introduction you may draw your own conclusions. Please don't try to derail my thread. If you can't handle a few rough words then you're more than welcome to piss off.

Back on topic, I hope that providers reply. If this isn't an opportunity to advertise their company and services, then I don't know what is.

• @TarballZ said:
    Back on topic, I hope that providers reply. If this isn't an opportunity to advertise their company and services, then I don't know what is.

I think the providers your hoping to comment let their products and users do their talking for them.

• LeeLee Veteran

I think the questions are wrong, anyone who replies saying yes probably is not, those that are have no need to enter this kind of debate.

• Hahahahahaha. This is very funny. :)

• Why you're expecting recommendations with such a rude nature of asking is mind boggling.

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited October 2014
    1. Many of the providers here are excellent and their services are top-quality, despite of the low price.
    2. Age is irrelevant, many world-famous successful entrepreneurs started at very young age. If you are going to pass judgment based on age, you might need to reconsider a lot of things in life.
    3. Having to wait 3 hours for a ticket response is perfectly acceptable in the industry. However, many providers will give you the option to submit an "Emergency" type ticket that will get top-priority. Those tickets are supposed to be for things like downtime, server failures etc...

said: A reliable provider has to be able to offer more than one location, own his hardware and be profitable and financially stable.

1. MediaTemple is a reliable and rather famous provider, they only have one location, in Los Angeles. As far as hosting is concerned, location diversity is as irrelevant to reliability as it can be.
    2. Hardware ownership is also irrelevant. There is absolutely nothing wrong with renting servers from a reliable datacenter and deploying them to customers. As long as the hardware is decent quality and the network is stable, you, as a consumer, will be happy. You should be more concerned with whether or not the hosting provider is a legitimate and registered business other than hardware ownership.
    3. Profitability does not happen overnight. Most, if not all providers here, and in the High End Hosting community in general start out paying out of pocket for a while until they've become profitable.
  • Yo pro hosting provider here. Waddup?

• vpslegendvpslegend Member
    edited October 2014

Hardware ownership is also irrelevant. There is absolutely nothing wrong with renting servers from a reliable datacenter and deploying them to customers. As long as the hardware is decent quality and the network is stable, you, as a consumer, will be happy. You should be more concerned with whether or not the hosting provider is a legitimate and registered business other than hardware ownership.

In my opinion having a registered business does not matter as they deadpool & fail as much as nonregistered ones. Best examples would be the burstnet & volumedrive fiascos. Some of the most stable & best performing vps I have had were from nonregistered providers.

Thanked by 1VPSRAIDSolutions
  • vpslegend said: In my opinion having a registered business does not matter as they deadpool & fail as much as nonregistered ones. Best examples would be the burstnet & volumedrive fiascos. Some of the most stable & best performing vps I have had were from nonregistered providers.

Having a registered business does matter, is irrelevant to reliability nonetheless. Many registered businesses are unreliable. However, if you have a business, you should legally register it. Keep in mind that you get a tax break for your business expenses etc...

Anyway, whether or not a business is registered is not our topic of discussion here. I was just trying to make a point.

• alessioalessio Member
    edited October 2014

TarballZ said: Please don't try to derail my thread.

I am not, I was asking you a simple question related to your "criticism" of age. However, this coming from you does not lack a certain sense of absurdity.

TarballZ said: If you can't handle a few rough words then you're more than welcome to piss off.

It is all about upbringing and manners and you prove with every new reply that you do not have either of both.

• @tarballz I will happily derail your thread.

• IMHO most top shelf provider doesn't need recognition as their customers know by heart who they are.

Most top shelf providers only have 2 or 3 products left in their stock, and sometimes they are out of stock so they have to expand or customers have to wait for an empty slot.

The top shelf providers usually assign their staff to "troll" forums to get info of the market trends and research new marketing breakthrough or new trends.

Unfortunately, many top shelf providers aren't backed up with a strong support system or infrastructure, so they become a laughing stock and bullied. (Most recent example: GVH, who should have been successful if they have strong support in terms of technical [slabbing and tweaking] and marketing, and less offering unbelievable promos)

I have used services from Chicago VPS and 123Systems, and at some point they have a good service. Unfortunately when shit hits the fan, they are lacking of disaster recovery technical skill and good PR.

I know several guys here who used to be considered as a "summer host", but in time they have proven themselves that they are worth to be among top shell providers.

Not everybody here are real top shelf providers, and I believe they are trying to be, but most of them failed due to one simple thing.

Trust!

• akzakz Member

if jonny can, then i can.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2014

So, no, Prometeus is not a top provider because:
    1. Tickets do wait more than 3 hours at times, but they are not about nodes downtime (and if they are, that is because people did not read emails about planned downtime or unplanned situations as well as forum posts and we are unable to answer everyone while also rushing to solve the issue with the node(s) ), rather users unable to read the tutorials or unable to manage anything, period;
    2. I do troll forums and Salvatore was also quite active here with many jokes that people liked in majority.
    There is quite a different story on the corporate side of the business, though, however, as incredible as it may sound, people over there are generally more understanding that most people here. maybe because they know how things go in this industry and how many bad things can and do happen at times, in spite of careful planning and investments.

• @Maounique everybody knows you Uncle Sal and Nyr. That's the trade mark. :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am not sure I follow...

• Surely 'top-shelf' relates to pr0n sites? That's what all the top-shelf mags are about.

So I'm told...

Thanked by 2Mark_R ATHK
  • Maounique said: I am not sure I follow...

He is part of your team, isn't he?

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited October 2014

In b4 Jon nominate himself/GVH.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited October 2014

I normally have to wait upto 24 hours before I receive a reply from godaddy. Providers here reply very fast (some replies have been within the same minute)...

One thing bothers though..... A detailed query explaining possible situations seeking a bit more detailed answer usually gets responded with a max three word answer (which do not answer the query properly). A bit more words that address to answer the query would go a long way though

But overall, what I've seen here is not the size/age of the provider that matters but the conscience/know how to provide proper service to paying customers does and I'm happy with my choice providers so far and wouldn't blink to buy again when needs arise.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Does not want a 3 hour ticket wait, posts on a forum with a $7/m limit.

Enjoy hopping providers every time they get more than 150 clients.

Thanked by 3Spencer Shoaib_A Brad
  • The top notch providers don't need to post here, as others have said - we all know who they are.

They're the ones that don't need to run bargain buster specials every week to drum up sales or generate drama to keep their name on everyone's tongues - the great providers are the ones that you almost forget because everything works as it should, with no issues.

• @Zen @Maounique my mistake then.

Nevertheless, quality won't lie.

• edited October 2014

said:

To me a real hosting provider in 2014 has to be realible, professional and not spend time trolling on forums. His company has to be registered and be more than a one man show. When things go wrong he shouldn't use stupid excuses like "backlogged tickets due to personal issues". I don't care what happened, if I have to wait 3 hours for a reply I move. A reliable provider has to be able to offer more than one location, own his hardware and be profitable and financially stable. Then, and only then I can feel confident to sign up and entrust said provider with my data. Maybe I subscribe to a minority that likes quality over cheap prices and couldn't care less about a deal, but regardless, anyone who handles data should be responsible.

I host myself, with great reliability, professionalism, and don't troll forums. I do have a registered company (not a hosting company, though). I don't make excuses for my bad behaviour, and typically answer my own support issues within seconds! I'm a bad ass top shelf liquor consumer.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@vRozenSch00n said:
    He is part of your team, isn't he?

Nope. :-)

Being a teenager, I don't think I'm allowed to comment in this thread.. back to the naughty step I go.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Zen said:
    Not too long to go? :)

Just under 2 years to go. I've just realised that I've spent all of my teenage years around LE*. I've been here since I was 13, and now I'm 17. What a life. ;d

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
This discussion has been closed.