Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many IPv6 IPs do you really use.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many IPv6 IPs do you really use.

So many providers will assign a full /64 to a 128 MB / 512 MB VPS. I find it weird because of the amount of IPs within a /64 Subnet.

Honestly, do you need all these IPs? Can be truly happy with 8, 16, or 32 IPv6 IPs on your small VM? I'm just curious why the waste of IPs?

Yes, IPv6's capacity is enormous, no question. But isn't it wasteful? I can see a /64 assigned to a dedicated server, for a dedicated server can do a whole lot more than just a small VM.

Please share your thoughts. I just want to know what everyone thinks about that.

Comments

• One or two.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited October 2014

With the addressing standards a /64 subnet should be allocated to an end user.

Take a read through http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6177

The basic principle is that there are so many possible addresses that the allocation you get will be more than enough.

But to answer your question, I use one for each service. So 200-300 as it's designed for.

• Lixxx235Lixxx235 Member
    edited October 2014

Define wasteful. :P unless you start assigning a IPv6 /64 subnet to each grain of sand on Earth, good luck running out of subnets :P
    There are things built into IPv6 protocol that assumes each computer uses a /64. Don't ask me why or the technical details, but do a quick search on it and you'll be presented with about 20 RFCs on it.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • @DalekOfSkaro said:
    But isn't it wasteful?

No, it's not . IPv6 was designed to be used in this way. You have to throw everything you've learned about IPv4 out the window when you think about IPv6. The two addressing schemes have virtually nothing in common.

• As others have said, IPv6 was meant to contain more IPs than anyone will ever need (famous last words), even if only using 64 bits of address space. Therefore, no, being assigned a /64 is not wasteful, and is large enough to allow things such as stateless autoconfiguration.

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • My standard copy/paste reply in every IPv6 subnetting related thread:

This has nothing to do with IPs wasting. People should get rid of looking at IPv6 from old IPv4 perspective.

/64 is the minimum for auto assignment/SLAAC autoconfigured VPN on IPv6. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAAC#Stateless_address_autoconfiguration_.28SLAAC.29 the EUI-64 mechanism for stateless autoconfiguration of IPv6 addresses requires a subnet to have 64 bits. This means most, if not all subnets (except point-to-point links), will have a size of /64 in the future.

There could be also some other trivial but pretty realistic reasons like preventing k-lines at IRC networks because "too many connections globally" (all users from same /64 are usually considered as one user).
    In case of spam no one block individual /128s but whole /64 subnet because again - /64 is considered as one end user.

• None, never used them, never needed too.

• TheLonelyTheLonely Member
    edited October 2014

Used one in total over the ~10VMs/VPSs I own...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

said: a /64 subnet should be allocated to an end user.

Exactly this. If you have others in the same /64 as you in IPv6, it's about the same as having people sharing the IP with you in IPv4. Expect to be spam-blacklisted, banned from Google for automated queries, banned from IRC networks and channels, all for actions of others. Because the world assumes that any given /64 is wholely under control of one user.

Fortunately this starts to be getting through to the providers, and now more and more switch from individual addresses to subnets. Helps that SolusVM has added the subnet support in a recent version too.

said: But isn't it wasteful?

When you people say that, I imagine if those IPs weren't assigned but given to you instead, you'd go and build a house out of them, or feed them to the hungry, or use them to cure Ebola. Seriously, it's IP addresses, they're supposed to be used on the Internet, according to the Internet standards. And unlike with IPv4, in IPv6 there's enough for everybody (no, really).

Personally I am using 3x/64 at home at the moment (I want my SLAAC working in all networks, thank you very much), tunneled from one of my servers. So the bare minimum I would consider is a /60 on a VPS or dedi, but for convenience and a bit of headroom, having a /56 would be fine. Online.net actually does this part very well, I get a /48 as a customer, and free to split it into smaller subnets to assign to my actual dedis, such as a /56 per server (and then route some of those further, if so desired).

• meh. Kids today and their fancy IPv6's .

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    can see a /64 assigned to a dedicated server, for a dedicated server can do a whole lot more than just a small VM.

Look at it this way, a /64 is 18 quintillion addresses. When you're working on that scale, the difference between a dedicated server and a VPS is immaterial . . . really the difference between anything is immaterial . . .

edited October 2014

Microlinux said: Look at it this way, a /64 is 18 quintillion addresses.

No, don't. That's the basic blunder that leads to the whole "wasting" misconception.
    A /64 is simply the minimum end-user subnet. One.
    Counting individual IPs in it (not to mention using that number in advertising etc, as some clueless marketing drones do, "with us you get 18 bazzilion IPs!") is meaningless.

• In total over all my machines i have more active ipv6 then ipv4's
    average of 6 active for each personal server all for different purposes.

Sad thing when my router at home doesnt support ipv6. I should really upgrade one day.
    (And my ISP has given me a /48 for home usage)

@AutoSnipe said:
    (And my ISP has given me a /48 for home usage)

Who are you with?

• AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited October 2014

@trewq Adam Internet/iinet
    business plan at home scored me a /48 :p

@AutoSnipe said:
    trewq Adam Internet/iinet

Nice. Internode give you a /64 for your PPP session and a /56 for your LAN :)

• @AutoSnipe said:
    trewq Adam Internet/iinet

Urgh Adam Internet..

• Hahah at least im not using telstras network.
    And adam was the only one that would service out in Sellicks Beach

http://bgp.he.net/AS4739

Cheaper then Direct from internode. Same nodey goodness :p

Thanked by 1trewq
  • cygnicygni Member
    edited October 2014

Here is the summary for the /64 rationale:

- it should be easy for an end site to obtain address space to
        number multiple subnets (i.e., a block larger than a single /64)
        and to support reasonable growth projections over long time
        periods (e.g., a decade or more).

- the default assignment size should take into consideration the
        likelihood that an end site will have need for multiple subnets
        in the future and avoid the IPv4 practice of having frequent and
        continual justification for obtaining small amounts of
        additional space.

- Although a /64 can (in theory) address an almost unlimited
        number of devices, sites should be given sufficient address
        space to be able to lay out subnets as appropriate, and not be
        forced to use address conservation techniques such as using
        bridging.  Whether or not bridging is an appropriate choice is
        an end site matter.

- assigning a longer prefix to an end site, compared with the
        existing prefixes the end site already has assigned to it, is
        likely to increase operational costs and complexity for the end
        site, with insufficient benefit to anyone.

- the operational considerations of managing and delegating the
         reverse DNS tree under ip6.arpa on nibble versus non-nibble
         boundaries should be given adequate consideration.

Two providers of mine only assign /112 blocks which one could argue is sufficient, one does not currently have IPV6, while the rest provide standard /64 subnets. My productive servers all are IPV6 ready, including dns and mail server. Fail2ban is configured on the servers currently to only deny /128 offending IPV6. Also, because the ISP here only supports IPV4, the router at home is setup with he.net IPV6 tunnel, a /48 block - doing my part to keep the ball rolling. :)

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited October 2014

It is hard to imagine how many ipv6 addresses there are, but this website does a great job trying to provide some stats on them http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPv6AddressSizeandAddressSpace-2.htm

The fact that really stands out to me is:

-The earth is about 4.5 billion years old. If we had been assigning IPv6 addresses at a rate of 1 billion per second since the earth was formed, we would have by now used up less than one trillionth of the address space.

I can't comprehend how many that actually is. IPv6 address space is really that huge

• 32 ipv6 for irc vhost

• Heh, online.net gives a free /48 IIRC

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

zero as of now

• Two for IRC vhost.

• @rm_ said:
    Counting individual IPs in it (not to mention using that number in advertising etc, as some clueless marketing drones do, "with us you get 18 bazzilion IPs!") is meaningless.

Yes, that's my point, because of the scale we're talking about, the number of individual addresses becomes meaningless.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited October 2014

It's like saying 65535 ports per an IPv4 is wasteful since one would only use maybe 10 ports per a VM.

And OVH was doing this "right". They only assign you a single IPv6 but reserve the rest of /64 so others won't share the same subnet with you. Maybe you can consider this as un-wasteful.

• It doesn't really matter how many you use. What matters is which devices you have to share it with.

Google, and I'm sure others with them, see a /64 as a single address and consider SPAM sent from any address in that range to be good enough of a reason to blacklist that entire range.

@Microlinux said:
    No, it's not . IPv6 was designed to be used in this way. You have to throw everything you've learned about IPv4 out the window when you think about IPv6. The two addressing schemes have virtually nothing in common.

This ^

You could do the HE.net IPv6 certification, as it's a good learning process and will get you to read quite something about IPv6.

edited October 2014

msg7086 said: And OVH was doing this "right". They only assign you a single IPv6 but reserve the rest of /64 so others won't share the same subnet with you. Maybe you can consider this as un-wasteful.

Certainly I wouldn't put OVH on the throne for this, sure putting everyone in separate /64s makes them fullfill the "customer separation" aspect, but there is no reason to officially permit to use only one IPv6 out of that /64, other than greed and a silly misguided attempt at "product segmentation" ("Can I get more than one IPv6?" staff on their forum: "-- if you need additional IPs, get a SoYouStart server"). I heard some people on KS consider using IPv6 NAT for their VMs due to this. And while the rest of the /64 can be used, that's not official, you get no rDNS, and technically can be banned from the service for using the IPs that are not assigned to you.

As mentioned above, Online.net does this right, a /48 per customer, no matter how many servers of which lineup they have.

• There are a lot more IPv6 available than the number of atoms that make up the Earth.

• Thank you all for your your thoughts. It's good to know what everyone thinks :)