Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you run on your 128MB/256MB RAM VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you run on your 128MB/256MB RAM VPS?

edited October 2014 in Help

Greetings, firs time post, long time reader...

I have a question for you all, I see all these 128MB and 256MB VPS' in the offers section, but I can't think of what I would run on something so small, and I am very curious to what you all run on machines that size...

Anyone care to get me up to speed? =]

What does your infrastructure look like?
  1. VPS or Dedicated?72 votes
    1. VPS
      77.78%
    2. Dedicated
      22.22%
  2. How many VPS'72 votes
    1. A lot
      62.50%
    2. Very few if any
      37.50%
  3. How many dedicated?72 votes
    1. One super-sized monster
      16.67%
    2. A bunch of medium sized machines
      83.33%

Comments

• VPNs, websites, storage servers etc. Most sites with a small audience, can run everything on a single server, in fact with even less then 128.

• Interesting, Are these database driven sites you're running?

• @jeffreylroberts said:
    Interesting, Are these database driven sites you're running?

I'm personally mainly using them for private VPNs. Even with about five people connected at once, it doesn't even hit 64 MB.

• Neat =] Thank you for your response =]

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

With a 128 MB VM I could easily run my website (lighttpd, but the DB would need to go; which means no Piwik), one of my three NSes (nsd3), one of my two MXes (postfix), my XMPP server (prosody), my IRC bouncer (znc), and a Tinc node. All of these would fit in 128 MB pretty nicely, or into 256 MB with a lot of breathing room.

...but why bother when there are now 2GB of RAM dedicated servers for ~5 EUR/mo. Or 2GB KVM boxes for $2.50.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited October 2014

Backups. The 128MB, 80GB plan from Ramnode is the best plan ever.

But 128MB is also perfectly fine to run lighttpd, MySQL and Postfix on.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • I was running a web server on one, then use the other few I have as off site backups for web hosting files.

• DNS cluster.

• I used to run SAMP servers on mine from time to time, now I just use them for experimenting or back-ups or emergency web hosting if my primary hosts go down.

• 128MB: DNS servers; static web servers (nginx); secondary mx mailservers; backup storage

256MB: single-site dynamic web servers (nginx, php-fpm, mysql)

Thanked by 3postcd bersy lifehome
  • Backups and OpenVPN.

• TheLonelyTheLonely Member
    edited October 2014

VoIP mainly, few for mirroring some files (via my PHP backend system), a VPN and some ideling waiting to be used...
    And one to screw around with... Fork bombed it once :)

• user123user123 Member
    edited October 2014

I'm surprised that no one has posted the most obvious use: virtual gf program/script.

bigstud@bachpad:~# ./perfectwoman

Even if we break up, I still get to keep everything...

(ETA: the above is a joke...but, if you should ever venture across such a program, be sure to share the link on LET :P)

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • I use several 128 MB VPSs for mail servers, web servers (low volume WordPress sites and other web applications; one VPS per application). Also have a 256 MB VPS for development purposes.

Properly configured a 128 MB machine can handle quite a bit; minimum installs make a big difference.

• I have a 128MB VPS hosted with ftpit. I have installed mariadb, php-fpm, nginx, memcached. Then, I can run several wp sites with several hundreds visit per day. Moreover, I have some custom code to mining data that can also run on this lowendbox (sometimes, not usually). I am happy with it :D

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

Piwik on a Xen 128
    1-2 Wordpress sites on servers with 128,256,512 mb ram. Depends on amount of visitors/activity.
    Synced dokuwiki on 5 servers with 128 mb each.
    Photo gallery with auto thumbnail creation on a 128mb.

Gitlab on a 128mb.

The "largest" linux vps I have is a 512mb + 512mb swap.

• VPN, IRC Bouncers, SSH Tunnel... I just have one 128MB in use though. All others are above 512MB. Running a DB server needs a bit more RAM than 256MB.

• 128MB@ramnode==> 70GB image_backup with php-albumns ==> nginx + php5-fpm php5-gd + rsyncd

• websites ,VPN ,

• make a personal blog or use for ssh socks only.

• VPN, mini-dev box or backups if there is a good amount of space.

• Tor relay, backups, DNS tunnel, VPN, ircd or BNC.

• I'm using a 128MB VPS right now for static file hosting (screenshot sharing thingy) - just nginx and sftp uploads, VPN + IPv6 tunnel, reverse proxy, um.. what else.

There's a lot you can do with 128MB or 256MB. I crammed a WordPress site with ~600 visits/day into a 256MB VPS, with some ridiculous caching.

I usually use a smaller VPS to gauge a provider, or if I have a specific purpose for that location/IP/whatever. It's typically under $15/yr, so it's not the end of the world if it ends up sucking.

Lots of fun stuff you can do.

• @MikHo said:
    Gitlab on a 128mb.

Nice!

Care to pastebin anonymized config or detail your observations on this setup's limitations.

Was that Xen (additional kernel overhead) or non-oversold openvz?

• 128MB - Debian nginx+php+mysql+dovecot+postfix+spamassassin+irssi+rsyncd

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@vimalware said:
    Was that Xen (additional kernel overhead) or non-oversold openvz?

Openvz with Hosthatch in Stockholm, Sweden

I followed a guide (saved the link somewhere I can't find) that looked similar to this https://www.rosehosting.com/blog/how-to-install-gitlab-ruby-and-nginx-on-a-debian-7-wheezy-vps/

I then upgraded following the upgrade steps from Gitlab.

Thanked by 2vimalware bersy
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

icecast2 streaming.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

I use some 256mb VPS's for VPNs then a few for websites that are not database heavy.

• 100+ vps with 1 site each spread across NA and the globe .
    i like using flatfile cms so they are easy on the hw
    mostly for ip diversity

• Haphost offers 128MB VPS for Free. Anybody tried?