Question...

Question...

eastoncheastonch Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hey there;

I was looking into making SSH access slightly easier between some VPS's I have, and instead of having a hostname of chrisvps1.chriseaston.info or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; Is there a simple way of just having server 1 be able to connect to server 2 by just saying "ssh root@server2" instead of an IP or long hostname?

I might be missing something here; help?

Systems Administrator | IWFHosting

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

Comments

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited July 2012

Yes

Add it to /etc/hosts

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx server2

The Original Daniel.

• netomxnetomx Member

I thin you can put it on /etc/hosts

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • eastoncheastonch Member
    edited July 2012

oh lol.

I feel like such a fool now :']

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

• u4iau4ia Member

or just set up an alias in .bashrc

alias ssh-server1='ssh -p 1234 [email protected]'

• Oh, that's even better, as in, .bashrc in ~/.bashrc ?

Since most of my servers are operating on random ports.

• u4iau4ia Member

@eastonch said: ~/.bashrc

exactly

• Wow.

So I can also use aliases for other things too, like I could setup one which does a certain long command like "io" could then do a "dd" test?

• Use an SSH config file under ~/.ssh/

Host *
    IdentitiesOnly yes
    Compression yes
    ServerAliveInterval 60

# sub.domain.tld

Host shortname
    Hostname sub.domain.tld
    Port 12345
    User username
    IdentityFile ~/.ssh/[email protected]

'shortname' will appear in your SSH tab list.

I use separate keys for various servers so it suits me to use 'IdentitiesOnly' but you can always omit it (including the 'IdentityFile' directive)

• u4iau4ia Member
    edited July 2012

@eastonch said: like "io" could then do a "dd" test?

yes; alias io='dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm test'

alias has a lot of uses,for example i have an alias set for gst='git status', it's great for those often typed commands :)

• effectively speaking @u4ia I could do alias rsync-chris='rsync --verbose --progress --compress --rsh='ssh -p xxx' /home/chris/http/hosts/chriseaston.info/* 128mb:/home/backup/chriseaston.info/' and that would effectively backup my /chriseaston.info/ folder and xfer it to my other server? just by typing "rsync-chris"?

Seems impossibruuu!

• No, you need to escape some stuff

I think it has to be alias rsync-chris='rsync --verbose --progress --compress --rsh=\'ssh -p xxx\' /home/chris/http/hosts/chriseaston.info/* 128mb:/home/backup/chriseaston.info/' And maybe one more \ before the *

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • Why would you have to escape things? @gsrdgrdghd

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_character#Programming_and_data_formats

In this example bash would interpret the first ' (the one after --rsh=) as the matching ' that ends your alias.

• Ooooh... Right, I see lol! Thanks for that mate.

• u4iau4ia Member

@eastonch said: Seems impossibruuu!

Nothing is impossibruuu!

• efballefball Member

add chriseaston.info to the search path in /etc/resolv.conf then you don't have to add individual hosts to the hosts file.

• Oh, so I can just then do my128 since it's a subdomain of chriseaston.info?

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited July 2012

There's always Bash...

#!/bin/bash
    # Filename: ssh2.sh
    if [ -z "$1" ]; then
        echo "Usage: ssh2 hostname [port]"
        exit
    fi
    SERV="$1.chriseaston.info"
    PORT="22"
    if [ -n "$2" ]; then
        PORT=$2
    fi
    ssh -p $PORT -l root -i /path/to/mykey $SERV
    exit 0

Set an alias... alias ssh2="/path/to/ssh2.sh"

Try it...

[me@home] ssh2 vps1

This way you don't have to keep modifying your hosts file or your aliases every time you get another vps :)

Thanked by 1Victor