Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Google wants to replace Gmail
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why Google wants to replace Gmail

An interesting read about a theory why Google might have introduced Inbox.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2838775/why-google-wants-to-replace-gmail.html

Say goodbye to the unmediated world of RSS, email and manual Web surfing. It was nice while it lasted. But there's just no money in it.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

Comments

• I think this makes a lot of sense. It's a subtle attempt to accomplish what they had planned to accomplish, but failed, with Wave.

To all techies out there just stop using Google products for the sake of a free internet, and ultimately, a free society.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@kerouac said:
    To all techies out there just stop using Google products for the sake of a free internet, and ultimately, a free society.

No

• booo. I like my gmail. Still testing out Inbox, it looks pretty i'll say that much so far.

• Gmail != email. Killing gmails will only make others provide similar or better service.

Of course it's profitable, maybe not profitable enough for giants like google. Without gmail, I don't see the reason to use any other service from them, most of the others already have a better alternative. I really doubt they'd dare to shut down gmail

Thanked by 2netomx linuxthefish
  • vedran said: Gmail != email. Killing gmails will only make others provide similar or better service.

Considering the vast dominance of Google in the area of email, I wouldnt be that sure about this anymore.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • vedran said: Without gmail, I don't see the reason to use any other service from them, most of the others already have a better alternative. I

Search.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

kerouac said: To all techies out there just stop using Google products for the sake of a free internet, and ultimately, a free society.

Of course they are not going to be able to take away RSS and E-Mail from us "techies". The article is just trolling. The only conclusion that we can make from it , is that if we want to thwart Google's greed to monetize everything and lay their hands on more and more personal data of people, is to not just use alternatives to Google services ourselves, but to also teach others: that getting your news via RSS is very convenient and efficient, and that it's very cheap and not too difficult to register a domain, buy a LEB and be a master of your own E-Mail, not a sheep in someone's farm, diligently consuming "targeted advertising impressions" based on crawling and processing of all your personal mail.

gsrdgrdghd said: Search.

I switched to https://startpage.com/ some months ago, it's search results from Google proxied via a saner interface (similar to Google of ~2006). If they shut it down for some reason (legal etc), there is https://ixquick.com/ from the same company, which uses several sources at once and doesn't depend on Google.

• This article smells like link bait. Google makes plenty of money with their email program through advertisements and gets to harvest TONS of personal data to correlate to things later. Please tell me how google doesn't make money with email again?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • A better read that illustrates Google's underlying product strategy is this:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/10/googles-product-strategy-make-two-of-everything/

• Google's underlying strategy is Singularity. Thanks to Ray Kurzweil, Imm.

• @Corey said:
    This article smells like link bait. Google makes plenty of money with their email program through advertisements and gets to harvest TONS of personal data to correlate to things later. Please tell me how google doesn't make money with email again?

That.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • When gmail was started it was new and people were not used to. It will take some time to adjust to it. I hope it should be better.