Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] E-mail Hosting, up to 15% off. Unbranded reseller hosted with Delimiter.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] E-mail Hosting, up to 15% off. Unbranded reseller hosted with Delimiter.

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

(Offer for non VPS product pre-approved by @mpkossen)

Hi everyone! You may or may not have heard of MXroute around these parts. MXroute is a "bring your own domain" e-mail host, much like Google Apps without the additional products. The e-mail hosting is the key. Our control panel is a heavily modified version of VestaCP coupled with WHMCS for our billing system. The system operates much like a web hosting product without the web hosting. However, there is more to it than that. Strong, consistent, effective mail delivery is our #1 priority. A phrase often thrown around in this industry is "Do one thing and do it well." That is our goal, but we like to add one more thing to that:

Do one thing, do it well, and make it affordable.

About MXroute:

To be clear, I throw around the word "we" and "our" quite a bit. MXroute is somewhat like a one man show, only it has a backup plan. The MXroute team consists of me, @ryanarp, and Christine. Mostly, you will deal with me. I develop, I maintain, and I troubleshoot. When I cannot be available and there is a major problem, there is always someone with the access and the necessary knowledge available to solve the problem.

All too often I see people here struggling with the concept of hosting their own e-mail effectively. LowEnd{Box,Talk} was mostly built on the idea of running your own web server for far less than what was considered normal, both in dollars and resources. The "normal" services always included e-mail, but that was never a big focus here. I always encourage people to learn, and I love it when one of my clients outgrows my services and learns to host their own. Empowering others is important, and I love it when people learn how to stand on their own two feet. Until then, why not let me take the burden from you? I can host your e-mail at a fraction of the price that you will pay to any other reliable service, and I guarantee that it comes with a side of humility, and that I will always be open to your ideas and suggestions.

Announcement

I would like to announce that MXroute unbranded reseller services are being provisioned with Delimiter in Atlanta. The service provided by Delimiter has been nothing short of incredible, and they have been extremely friendly and accomodating. I like to support quality providers when I get the opportunity, and I know you guys do as well. I am really proud to provide production service supported by these guys, and you should be too.

Features

• SSL protected IMAP, POP3, SMTP
  • Roundcube Webmail
  • Mail Control Panel based on VestaCP
  • Z-Push for ActiveSync compatible push services (imperfect, but functional)
  • Friendly service
  • Direct access to the developer to make suggestions

Offers

Let's get down to the offers, shall we?

I've got two promo codes for you today. The first one only has 5 uses, so grab it fast. I'm not big on offering discounts, but I am big on honoring them.

MX15 - 15% off recurring for life. This will work for 5 orders.

MX10 - 10% off recurring for life. Unlimited orders, unlimited clients.

The monthly plans have an "unbranded" option where you will be provisioned on "mxlogin.com" which has no obvious connection with any particular branding.

Yearly Plans:

Small

10GB Storage

1 Domain

1 Email Account

$5/year

Order: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=5

Medium

15GB Storage

3 Domains

10 Email Accounts per domain

$15/year

Order: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=6

Large

50GB Storage

10 Domains

30 Email Accounts per domain

$25/year

Order: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=3

Monthly Plans:

MX350

20GB Storage

Unlimited Domains

Unlimited Accounts

$3.50/m

https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=10

Unbranded: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=15

MX500

40GB Storage

Unlimited Domains

Unlimited Accounts

$5.00/m

https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=11

Unbranded: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=16

MX700

75GB Storage

Unlimited Domains

Unlimited Accounts

$7.00/m

https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=12

Unbranded: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=17

Comments

• Damn @Jar, I'm actually searching for good email hosting, but would prefer servers in Europe. Only heard great stuff about your service. That's a real catch-22 for me.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2014

@BBTN said:
    Damn Jar, I'm actually searching for good email hosting, but would prefer servers in Europe. Only heard great stuff about your service. That's a real catch-22 for me.

There have been many days where I nearly pulled the trigger on running a server with online.net. If it helps any, the server currently provisioned on (regular, not unbranded) is located in Seattle. I can move anyone to New York on request as well :)

• Same, EU based would sell well :)

• Any update about my suggestion yet? Are you thinking about using it in production?

@cassa said:
    Any update about my suggestion yet? Are you thinking about using it in production?

Had to get up early yesterday and it caught up to me when I got home. Once my head hit the pillow I was out cold ;)

About to give it a try on the beta server.

• @Jar said:
    About to give it a try on the beta server.

Ah, okay. Keep me updated :D

I've been using MXroute for a while now. The service is just great. The IMAP was slow before, but. 2 days ago that changed :-)

If you ever need just a hosted mail account (or Open-Xchange? Maybe?), I'll suggest MXroute

cassa said: or Open-Xchange? Maybe?

Any idea if you can make it authenticate against the IMAP/SMTP server rather than create a user in the database with it's own authentication system that just states what IMAP/SMTP server to use?

• Forwarding to GMail is not allowed, but can I use POP3 to pull emails to a GMail account and SMTP to send email from GMail?

@ub3rstar said:
    Forwarding to GMail is not allowed, but can I use POP3 to pull emails to a GMail account and SMTP to send email from GMail?

Yeah you can use the Gmail fetch and send from Gmail. Basically just trying to stop our IPs from being blocked at Gmail when someone sets up a forwarder and receives spam :)

• It appears that there's no POP3 access, only SMTP and IMAP

@ub3rstar said:
    It appears that there's no POP3 access, only SMTP and IMAP

It's there I just don't talk about it much because people end up using it with default settings, their mail client deletes all of their email, then they get mad ;)

Regular ports, 110 for non SSL and 995 for SSL.

• @Jar said:
    Any idea if you can make it authenticate against the IMAP/SMTP server rather than create a user in the database with it's own authentication system that just states what IMAP/SMTP server to use?

Hmm, I'll search for you. Otherwise, VestaCP has a bash script for every action, you know it already, I think. This way, you can run the creation script with the VestaCP mail user creation.

• @jar could you talk about your infrastructure at all? e.g. are you running off of a single node, or do you have some sophisticated redundancy in place? How does it all get glued together? Do you have backup MXes in case your primary is down? I think this information would be really interesting to the LE{B,T} userbase.

Also, if anyone needs any help migrating email, feel free to reach out.

@amhoab said:
    jar could you talk about your infrastructure at all? e.g. are you running off of a single node, or do you have some sophisticated redundancy in place? How does it all get glued together? Do you have backup MXes in case your primary is down? I think this information would be really interesting to the LE{B,T} userbase.

Also, if anyone needs any help migrating email, feel free to reach out.

Great point!

We do have a backup MX which serves well to hold messages in the event of an outage of the primary server. It should be noted that this has not been added to the MXlogin (unbranded reseller) server yet and it will have this rolled out soon.

The key to the backup plan here is daily off site backup. So basically what you are looking at is a single server hosting your mail, a backup MX to hold your incoming mail if that server goes down, and daily off site backups.

It's nothing terribly fancy but quite effective and built to be reliable without over thinking the possibilities and expanding overhead to create a product that costs so much more than is necessary for 99+% consistent uptime and fast, reliable service.

Basically MXroute takes all that is known to work so consistently for the low end VPS market and applies it to email hosting. Those same principles have been mostly ignored as having relevance to markets that run on the exact same criteria.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • @William said:
    Same, EU based would sell well :)

For Sure!

@Jar Maybe you're in the mood to think about a server in The Netherlands, Eastern Europe
    or France. :)

• How about a Zimbra powered feature rich e-mail?

@mashokk369 said:
    How about a Zimbra powered feature rich e-mail?

Truthfully I've gone back and forth on this. It would be a good bit more expensive, and it has a much higher resource overhead. It's still in the back of my mind as a premium service offering :)

• @ub3rstar said:
    It appears that there's no POP3 access, only SMTP and IMAP

I also think so. Vesta CP forums say use IMAP.
    One more question. (may be stupid). If my website is in another server. How the DNS will work. Will just adding a MX record enough for using the mail service?

edited November 2014

@mashokk369 said:
    I also think so. Vesta CP forums say use IMAP. One more question. (may be stupid). If my website is in another server. How the DNS will work. Will just adding a MX record enough for using the mail service?

POP3 is available on default ports 110/995. DNS will just be changing your MX record(s).