Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Namecheap offer.. $0.98 Domains...

Namecheap offer.. $0.98 Domains...

Comments

• TaylorTaylor Member

I will tweet this 25k times to get the domain.

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• JacobJacob Member

Impossibru.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

Looking at the numbers it does not look like it will happen.

I don't get why the larger registrars do these deals.

They are loosing about 7$ per domain and betting that renewal will happen. These aren't part of Verisign offering them a lower rate.

0.98 - icann = 0.8cents - transaction = like nothing left.

They are paying like 6-7 something for the domain so even if the person renews the name they are just breaking even or betting on year 3 of renewal. When most of these names will retire or be transferred out, add in fraud and chargebacks.

I guess its more of a marketing move and this loss is written off as a branding campaign.

• AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited July 2012

Reweeted anyway..

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member without signature

@HC_Ro said: They are loosing about 7$ per domain and betting that renewal will happen.

How much does a domain actually cost the registrars yearly?

• So does only one person win this? If so, what an easy way to gain popularity.

edited July 2012

@Spencer said: So does only one person win this? If so, what an easy way to gain popularity.

No, they just start the sale when they get 30,000 retweets till July 15th.

• @liam said: Domains are already very cheap at $9/year in my honest opinion.

I agree. People complain about how expensive domains are. At namecheaps pricing it is 3 cents per day.

@liam said: Domains are already very cheap at $9/year in my honest opinion.

What are those $9/year used for?

• Mmmm i can buy cocacola & doritos and buy a videogame with my account of PSN for my psp xD.

http://mitihost.com/ -> Great Shared Hosting for a good $$

https://freevps.us/ -> Great P2H Forum to get free VPS's

• lbftlbft Member

Big registrars keep running these sorts of promos so they must work.

@HC_Ro said: 0.98 - icann

The price is $0.98 + $0.18 ICANN fee = $1.16, but they're obviously not breaking even. However compare the cost to that of a traditional ad campaign and they're probably well out in front. Every $0.98 customer is a customer who's been left feeling positive about namecheap, and everyone who saw the bazillion retweets and forum posts about this (like this one) is left with the impression that namecheap is cheap for domains (which they are, as long as you don't want WHOIS privacy).

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • IntcsIntcs Member

@liam said: Domains are already very cheap at $9/year in my honest opinion.

I don't know why but I felt after reading the how-to for this offer, I was like "let me just get one domain in original price without headache" , maybe I'm just being lazy :0

Please beware that his parents are now using the membership to post for their own, together with our precious son..

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited July 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: What are those $9/year used for?

One of things could be for support/troubleshoots for their domain management portal, and related services. I've had an online chat with a support guy at a registrar and it was for about 15 minutes till the problem was checked and resolved. And I didn't expect they will offer that for just one domain, so I've thought my $8 or something for that year is already used up for that support guy, if not more :) But with that said, it's rare when I've needed support with any of my domains.

Please beware that his parents are now using the membership to post for their own, together with our precious son..

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: How much does a domain actually cost the registrars yearly?

like 7.85 I think for .com is what you have to pay Verisign and you have to have pre-deposits with them. It basically the same setup as say like a eNom reseller account. You go to the individual TLD groups, open a account, deposit a minimum amount and add more when your running out. (after your accreditation ofc)

@lbft said: Big registrars keep running these sorts of promos so they must work.

Ya these deals are pure marketing and brand awareness, taking the loss as a ad campaign like you said.

• adygadyg Member

The requirement dropped to 15k tweets.

Webdev

• I still don't think we'll hit 15K.

• It's only limited to one per customer only anyway.

• adygadyg Member

I have a feeling they'll do the promo even if the 15k limit is not reached. Maybe not for 24h, but at least for a few hours. It would hurt future promos if people start doubting they will get anything out of them and stop taking part.

Webdev

• netomxnetomx Member

@adyg said: I have a feeling they'll do the promo even if the 15k limit is not reached. Maybe not for 24h, but at least for a few hours.

15k is not a lot, I have just tweeted it XD

• 15K isnt much, considering their traffic I guess they get; NameCheap have always been the ones I go to for any domains.

• Well this is a departure from previous offers as they used Facebook. I'm sure they're doing this to gain presence on Twitter now.

Solpocalyse 2013 survivor - RIP in peace 2 VPSes

• JackJack Member

@eastonch I don't think they will make this...

• TaylorTaylor Member

Even if they do not make this they have gotten 13k free tweets....

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• JackJack Member

@Taylor said: Even if they do not make this they have gotten 13k free tweets....

Yup.

• @Taylor said: Even if they do not make this they have gotten 13k free tweets....

If they don't get it you know they will still do some promotion kinda similar but not going to be .98.

-Nick Perkins | Twitter = @nickpperk

• ChanChan Member
    edited July 2012

14K now and four hours to go.... well 250 tweets per hour shouldn't be that hard lol. Even if they don't reach 15000 tweets they'll probably enable the promotion anyway so that they wouldn't look bad EDIT: Arhh seems like I got the wrong time, as corrected by @dominicl there's still about 11 hours to go!

• dominicldominicl Member
    edited July 2012
    Thanked by 1Chan

What will you buy/transfer/renew?

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • 15027 think we got it :P

-Nick Perkins | Twitter = @nickpperk

• Where do you go to order it?

Insidiea

• Click on the Get coupon

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • Aww man, now have the brainstorm what domain I should get LOL

Im here for my daily internet drama fix

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @joshuatly said: Aww man, now have the brainstorm what domain I should get LOL

I'm here with ya!

It seems like every time there's a domain name sale, I can't come up with anything to buy, but when there isn't one, I have a urge to buy one.

Insidiea

• I really don't know what domain to get............

• AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited July 2012

I bought.. lebestmeme.com

Going to make one of those crappy meme image websites and sell it / the script.

I've used the $4 Media Temple promo like six or seven times to get a few other domains too.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited July 2012

I bought one a few minutes ago and give it to my friend, jakartans.com

• AndriAndri Member

@NanoG6 Great idea with the Jakartans, bro.

I trust Namesilo for my domains. Use DOLLARLESS for $1 discount.
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Ya it's his idea actually. I just bought it for him. Hopefully it is gonna be useful and interesting site.

• VictorVictor Member

Now that I've got the coupon, what domain should I get... :S

FiberVolt | Quality Los Angeles & Chicago Virtual Servers - http://fibervolt.com

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • Got one, however I think I can got more with many other twitter accounts. :)

UpReseller - www.upreseller.com

• JarJar Member

Awesome, now that I can't think of a domain to register.

• gianggiang Member

@Victor said: Now that I've got the coupon, what domain should I get... :S

I have just bought one for my friend :D

• VictorVictor Member

@giang said: I have just bought one for my friend :D

Haha, my friend offered me his coupon cause he has no idea what to register..and I am struggling to find something to register as well. :(

FiberVolt | Quality Los Angeles & Chicago Virtual Servers - http://fibervolt.com

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • Bought one for my friend :D

• Got one, have no wanted domain :'(

• krokro Member

Hit me

• Hit with what? :p

• Bought 256megabits.net :'] The easiest way for me to say 32mb...

• My coupon code is 8B9840EBBC344CA2A3EF I don't need it at this time.

• lawllawl Member

I like cheap domains. Awesome for stupid webpages like http://godaddy.is.ultra-gay.org/