Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM virtualization: How much isolation / resource guarantee does it provide?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM virtualization: How much isolation / resource guarantee does it provide?

We are assuming no malicious intent users in this scenario.
If an end user is using a KVM VPS, and they max out all available resources CPU/Disk/RAM/Network.. which resources will impact other clients? If a provider wants to allow end user to do what they want in their VPS, does KVM provide technology to allocate such limits, such that other VPS are not impacted by actions of one VPS? Does KVM allow resource guarantees?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Fairshare CPU = inpact for everyone, when the HDD is used hardcore it breaks all other VM's down. Network its basically the same you get high latency but RAM would be one point when you dont mount it as RAM Disk and abuse it like the HDD it should not slow anything down. Correct me when i am wrong.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

You can provide resource guarantees by pinning the VM to a specific subset of CPU cores. For disk, you can use raw disk format without sparse file so that is guaranteed as well. Network and RAM are harder to do, although you can of course solve RAM by not overallocating RAM (the hypervisor exposes a specific memory pool to each VM, so this isn't hard to do; OpenVZ for example maybe a bit more confusing since it's more direct with host), and there are ways to rate limit network usage.

If you are not able to control the hypervisor (i.e. you are buying from another provider) then of course there are no guarantees for any resource, other than service-level guarantees...

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • @perennate , Agreed. +1 for that point of view.