Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildcard SSL for CNY25/5yrs (=$4.08/5yrs)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wildcard SSL for CNY25/5yrs (=$4.08/5yrs)

I' not the op. Just translate and repost here.

Original post:
http://www.v2ex.com/t/139400

ssl.so is to offer CN¥25/5yr (=US$4.08) wildcard ssl, with SHA256 signature.

Time: Oct 24 00:00 (UTC+8) - Oct 25 00:00(UTC+8) (or Oct 23 11:00 CDT - Oct 24 11:00 CDT)

Rules (preliminary):

1. Only once for the same root domain
  2. Only once for the same mail addr
  3. Only once for the same Alipay name
  4. Only once for the same /24 IP range
  5. NO reissue. Renewal is available.

There is another provider currently offering ¥5/yr (=$0.82) wildcard cert with SHA-1 signature.

Original post:
http://www.v2ex.com/t/139369

Order link:
http://www.hi-vps.com/whmcs/cart.php?a=add&pid=98

About Alipay:

Alipay is the most online payment method in China.

It is operated by Alibaba Group (NYSE:BABA) which just went through IPO, though Alipay service business has not gone public.

However, cautions should be taken when installing Alipay plugin. It installs a several autostart background (so-called) 'safety component', but some are actually doing things more than safety. Also it installs self-signed root ca cert in system cert pool, yet this cert is not currently taking any effect (i.e. untrusting them won't cause malfunction).

AFAIK, both the providers are offering AlphaSSL.

Comments

• The 0.82/yr link is already out of stock. Good find though..

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

Tried to prepare for this a bit, made an Alipay Wallet, but sadly the only halfway sane way of recharging it is via Webmoney WMZ of all things, and I don't like them, don't want to also sign up there, at least for now.

Also the original site https://www.ssl.so/ is puzzling to say the least, and even though pages are so small, it barely even loads. But yeah keep them coming, maybe next time it'll be something more usable by non-Chinese.

• Somebody has comments ?

• All I want is to be able to buy some cheap wildcard SSL certs in English...

• arpanjotarpanjot Member
    edited October 2014

I'd love to buy them but Chinese is damn confusing even after translating :(

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited October 2014

from what i gather, the price is now at 300 rmb ! almost $50 ? or are we suppose to wait for oct 24 ?

• raza19 said: from what i gather, the price is now at 300 rmb ! almost $50 ? or are we suppose to wait for oct 24 ?

said: Time: Oct 24 00:00 (UTC+8) - Oct 25 00:00(UTC+8) (or Oct 23 11:00 CDT - Oct 24 11:00 CDT)

• no alipay in India :(

• Ask my friend to help. Finally got 1!
    5 years SHA256 wildcard SSL for less $5, can't beat!

• mycloud said: Ask my friend to help. Finally got 1!

Is it still possible to order something? The website says "10.24 to 10.25"

• @gsrdgrdghd said:

It's 10.24 to 10.25 Beijing time (UTC+8), which is 15hrs ahead of Los Angeles time (PDT=UTC-7)

Currently it's 10.24 01:50am in China. Still 22 hrs remains.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:

Yes. But you need alipay.

• Anybody has alipay account? Help me getting one please?

• Thanks @BAKA and @mycloud, since i don't speak chinese and don't have Alipay i guess i'll pass on this offer

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

mycloud said: But you need alipay.

I was under impression I do have an Alipay, but apparently my Alipay is not a good enough Alipay for them.

and the first thing "use the bank card payment" does, is asks for a mobile number, I assume Chinese-only.

• @rm_ said:
    and the first thing "use the bank card payment" does, is asks for a mobile number, I assume Chinese-only.

Sometimes we are joking that China is not on the Earth, so "International" doesn't include China. And most products' "Global warranty" does not cover China...

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Sorry if the question is stupid, but what is the code on the first page of the website? It looks like some sort of hash string, is that what the SHA256 CSR looks like?

• @rm_ said:

You can't use alipay international account. It's different system.
    The hardest part is how to get Chinese alipay account. If you can get a verified account, then you can pay via any VISA/Mastercard CC.

• @zhuanyi said:
    Sorry if the question is stupid, but what is the code on the first page of the website? It looks like some sort of hash string, is that what the SHA256 CSR looks like?

Here:
    https://www.ssl.so/new/pay/
    You need buy a code.

• I couldn't figure out how to order. Regardless, the hi-vps offer is out of stock.

Temporarily out of stock

The product you have selected is currently temporarily out of stock, we will update the stock immediately, if there are other problems, please email [email protected]

• Have few questions for this SSL.The vps experts may be able to help me out

1) On the order page,I get an option to generate CSR.The CSR is generated,and is emailed to the registered email ID.Now how the heck did the ssl provider generate CSR code? Isnt it generated by server on which ssl needs to be installed?Same things goes with private key. SSL provider issued private key and sent it to my email ID

2.) I know the SSL cant be reissued.Is there a way to migrate ssl from one machine to another?

• Does this include free surveillance and interception from the Chinese government?

• mycloudmycloud Member
    edited October 2014

@arpanjot said:
    Have few questions for this SSL.The vps experts may be able to help me out

1) On the order page,I get an option to generate CSR.The CSR is generated,and is emailed to the registered email ID.Now how the heck did the ssl provider generate CSR code? Isnt it generated by server on which ssl needs to be installed?Same things goes with private key. SSL provider issued private key and sent it to my email ID

2.) I know the SSL cant be reissued.Is there a way to migrate ssl from one machine to another?

1) The onside csr generation tools is for convenience. If you don't trust the provider, just generate it on the local machine by yourself.
    2) How do you define "migrate"? With the .crt and .key file, you can use it everywhere.

Also, I suggest you reply original post to ask provider: http://www.v2ex.com/t/139400

Thanked by 1arpanjot
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Microlinux said:
    Does this include free surveillance and interception from the Chinese government?

Do you understand how certificate signing requests work? Because your question is pretty stupid.

Oh, and Globalsign/AlphaSSL is not a Chinese CA anyway.

• @Nyr said:
    Do you understand how certificate signing requests work? Because your question is pretty stupid.

The comment was in jest.

• Damn...just got home and...it is all done :(

• BotoXBotoX Member
    edited October 2014

I got one of my chinese friends to transfer 25 yuan to my alipay, was waiting yesterday until the price has been adjusted and wanted to order.

But instead of 25 CNY the price was 25.99 CNY, and I was unable to complete the order. My chinese friend wasn't online at the time and I left him a message to send me one more CNY. He did while I was asleep, but until I woke up the SSL was already sold out :/

Now I have 26 CNY in my alipay and no SSL D:

• Bought one for my client, here is the tutorial step by step in case there may have stock in the future:
    http://jingyan.baidu.com/album/6766299740dbdd54d41b8456.html?picindex=0

Thanked by 1ben78
  • BAKABAKA Member
    edited October 2014

Update from the op.

The SSL.so is offline and the SSLCertificate.cn is now online.

The domain sslcertificate.cn was previously 'on Hold' by gov, so the op xoxo tried cooperating with ssl.so. As the cooperating period has ended, ssl.so will have no business with xoxo from now on. Please visit https://sslcertificate.cn for purchasing.

Since the event last day encountered some technical difficulties and time restriction, the event will continue today. The price will be doubled to CNY50 (=USD8.17) for 5yrs Wildcard SSL with SHA256 signature.

Thanks. --xoxo

N.B. "today" means before 10.25 24:00(UTC+8), determined by CSR submission time.
    Los Angeles time is UTC-7, so UTC+8 is 15 hours ahead of Los Angeles.

• so I registered for alipay but don't see how to exactly get funds on this account while being from europe? anyone who can tell if this is possible and how?

cause of that much chinese text as images, google translate doesnt' work so well and I am really not sure if I am willing to put my CC credentials into different fields just to try out ;-)