Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Micro VKS @ OVH "review" - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Micro VKS @ OVH "review"

Comments

• AsadAsad Member

Verification (diving licence, phone call, whatever) is probably only done for new customers ordering dedicated servers. I doubt they'll do it for this.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Is there anyone already get the dedicated server?

• earlearl Member

@AsadHaider said: Verification (diving licence, phone call, whatever) is probably only done for new customers ordering dedicated servers. I doubt they'll do it for this.

Yeah I think so.. I signed up at all three locations and they never requested ID..Also I think with the free VKS port 25 is blocked not sure what other ports might be blocked..

@NanoG6 said: Is there anyone already get the dedicated server?

Tux mentioned that the dedi is only free till August so not really worth it in my opinion..

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited July 2012

It's free dedicated server, still worth it for me just to play around :)

• JTRJTR Member

I got the Dallas one though, I had wanted the Chicago one :(. And I'm still unsure why dd is throwing that error. On the other hand, pings to it seem to be only slightly higher than to Chicago... I'm not sure what to do with the remaining ~96mb of RAM and ~4.5GB disk, does anyone know what's a good thing to do with this small of a VPS? My BuyVM and dedi are doing all the work I can throw at them...

• NevilNevil Member

I got mine and wrote a review about it on FreeVPS already. It's much better than the Host1Free crap. 5GB is enought for me as I use the VPS as a script testing machine and SSH Tunnel. 128MB RAM + 128MB vSwap is actually enough for a free product from OVH.

I have choosen Frankfurt but got France and it's odd that all IPs are allocated to Canada.

My review:
    http://freevps.us/thread-5480.html

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

anyone go this working? I cant :(

• Sorry, we have reached the limit of vKS available today. Please come back tomorrow.

Lucky me :(

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Maybe you could try again later :)

It's tomorrow now, no available :(

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@Nevil said: It's much better than the Host1Free crap.

Oh come on, you are saying that on a lifetime free VPS. How thankful you are..

Thanked by 2netomx Maounique
  • earlearl Member

My Host1free VPS has been quite awesome!! had to admit initially it was pretty bad but lately it's been working great.. I think it's pretty nice of them to offer the service for free.

Thanked by 3netomx NanoG6 Maounique
  • n0myn0my Member

Dam! I'm always late for freebies...

Sorry, we have reached the limit of vKS available today. Please come back tomorrow.

• ThorinThorin Member
    edited July 2012

It's tomorrow now, no available :(

Try these links (French):
    https://www.ovh.com/fr/cgi-bin/nic/newNic.cgi
    http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/vks/geovks.xml

I was able to sign up but it wasn't instant set up (it's been an hour so far and I'm still waiting).

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Stay tuned on their twitter timeline.
    When it says "3 .. 2 .. 1 .. go #VKS #OVH" then you have about 5mins window to get the VKS :)

• @NanoG6 : Have you got the vks?

How does it went?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

yep in Hongkong, as requested.
    network / ping is good from Asia, ssh no lag at all.
    but it appears that the bottleneck is on CPU. http check / score using pingdom isn't good.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Came through and ordered one in Frankfurt. :-)

• NevilNevil Member
    edited July 2012

@NanoG6 said: Oh come on, you are saying that on a lifetime free VPS. How thankful you are..

Really? My Host1Free VPS has 2x266MHz which feel even slower. The Disk IO is down to under 10 MB/s and IOPings are crazy. The network is having packet loss (small but still annyoing on a TeamSpeak server). The load is over 3.00 with a empty TeamSpeak3 server which uses 12MB RAM.

Thankful for this? Nah, my Android phone does much better than this crap. Oh and my friend who signed up got no VPS but got accepted (WTH) and no staff is giving support to him. They simply ignore their shit overloaded forum where everybody posts problems that have been resolved 1000x times. No support absolutely no support.

These micro kVS are free for lifetime when you don't miss to renew them every month.

@ErawanArifNugroho said: How does it went?

I got one and it's really great.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@Nevil said: Thankful for this? Nah, my Android phone does much better than this crap.

Oh well..
    I always appreciate what people give to me. If I'm unable to say something good about it, at least I will never say crap about it.

@Nevil said: These micro kVS are free for lifetime when you don't miss to renew them every month.

Free for lifetime? Well thats good. Where did you know about that? Any links that saying it is free for lifetime?

Got mine now, just waiting for the activation :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@NanoG6 said: I always appreciate what people give to me. If I'm unable to say something good about it, at least I will never say crap about it.

If someone gives you a free VPS, you set it up, configure and try to use it, and it's so bad that you can't, then that person has just "stolen" your time wasted on all that, i.e. the VPS had negative value to you. Nothing wrong with being angry at this.

To clarify, this is not about the Micro vKS, mine in HK is totally awesome. :)

I'm still waiting for mine :(

• @rm_ said: "stolen"

So the other person has your time now?

@gsrdgrdghd said: So the other person has your time now?

Ha. You should've learned long ago that "stealing" does not mean anything literal in the digital world :P Especially when put in quotes. But yeah, they still get whatever benefit they set out to gain by giving out VPSes for free, be it some word-of-mouth publicity, load testing of their nodes and network, etc etc.

• KairusKairus Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: So the other person has your time now?

I hope they don't use it for dirty things.

• earlearl Member

For the HK vKS does the IP location say HK? My vKS is in San Jose but IP says Canada Montreal

• n0myn0my Member

@earl said: For the HK vKS does the IP location say HK? My vKS is in San Jose but IP says Canada Montreal

tracert to find out...

edited July 2012
    GeoIP Country Edition: HK, Hong Kong
    GeoIP Country V6 Edition: HK, Hong Kong

But "Geolocation" in ManagerV5 says FR.

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@n0my said: tracert to find out...

Yeah it was the tracert that showed my vKS was in san jose.. but the whois for the IP is canada montreal so can't use it for tunneling to hulu.. Also the ping time seems to correspond to the server being in California rather than Montreal

@rm_ said: But "Geolocation" in ManagerV5 says FR.

same as mine under "Management of IP addresses" geolocation is FR