Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Business owners/employees: Do you spend all day working? Promotion, advertising, etc?

Business owners/employees: Do you spend all day working? Promotion, advertising, etc?

edited July 2012 in General

For anyone who runs a web hosting / VPS service, I am wondering what your day consists of. I thought It would be interesting to know: do you have side-projects? Do you work on only one aspect of your business your entire day? Spend time with your family? Etc etc.

Personally, during the summer and weeks while I do not have full time school/work, I only end up spending about 2 hours per day working on various tasks that relate to my web service business. The rest of the time, I am spending time with friends, family, or just relaxing at home. (of course answering support tickets and chatting with team members all day too). I try to schedule my day and only work between our "business hours" - this leaves from personal time for us.

How about you?

EDIT: I am trying to spend a bit more time on things as there are various areas of our business which I need to focus on and complete.

CubixCloud Web Services - [email protected]

Comments

• DanielMDanielM Disabled

no, we pay for this type of service. and most oursourced

• @DanielM said: we pay for this type of service

So you can just sit back and collect profit without working? Awesome - been in the LEB business for a while I bet :)

most of the time yes. that's generally it.

• @DanielM said: that's generally it.

What business do you represent? Can't find it on your blog..

if you look more you will find out. but i run a few. Web hosting/VPS and VPN

• @EricCubixCloud

Interesting ... ya I can confirm that :P

Well I'm a noob in all this but my time is this:

• University around 4 - 6 hours everyday
    • Home - the rest of the day (week)
    • Homework - (some at home som at unviersity)
    • PC/PS3/PSP - play any game around 2 - 3 hours
    • Party, fool around, have fun - saturday at night (after university)
    • My noob business hours using my cellphone most of the time (it doesnt matter where i am) or my laptop(university or home) just when there is a question, ticket or service order, but most of the time for general questions :S

• And yes part of the tiem talking with Kevin and Gabriel about business projects.

http://mitihost.com/ -> Great Shared Hosting for a good $$

https://freevps.us/ -> Great P2H Forum to get free VPS's

Thanked by 1EricCubixCloud
  • I forgot also working in some apps for windows phone and windows 8 (trying to make something like putty but in a Metro UI Style) and an app for connect, reboot, boots, shutdown a vps xD

http://mitihost.com/ -> Great Shared Hosting for a good $$

https://freevps.us/ -> Great P2H Forum to get free VPS's

• DamianDamian Member

I spend about 6 hours a day total on IPXcore things.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • When I was running my company, I would idle on tickets, do some promotion, answer reviews, queries on market-specific boards etc.

One week, I pulled 48 hours straight when I had to emergency migrate clients (6 hours downtime ;/)

I ran about 3-9 hours/day depending on load, I had a dutch guy who kept watch overnights (he didnt sleep. ever.) -- And he was awesome, answered most sales tickets, called me when there was a problem...

Systems Administrator | IWFHosting

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

@eastonch said: I had a dutch guy who kept watch overnights (he didnt sleep. ever.) -- And he was awesome, answered most sales tickets, called me when there was a problem...

Was he a friend? Or did you find him on a site/service somehow?

We have a difficult time covering the 2 to 5 AM range, and i'd like to close up that hole, but I'm not sure how to go about finding someone we can trust on issues.

• Well this is kind of a surprising thread to be honest.

Between 10 - 16 hours p/day working (I count this as work to some degree).

• PADPAD Member

If you don't outsource you mainly put time into managing clients, promotion and advertising is relatively easily (a matter of targeting forums and keeping up a daily post count) when you're small-time.

• DamianDamian Member

@AnthonySmith: What do you spend all of your time on?

• CoreyCorey Member

I spend pretty much all day working on YDGH, some occasions where the GF wants me to do other stuff with her.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • HC_RoHC_Ro Member

I spend about 16-18 a day =(

• @rds100 said: Just don't choose India :)

That's quite rude :(

@HC_Ro said: I spend about 16-18 a day

You're actually working on something or doing what I do... get distracted then look at the clock and see how much time I've wasted? :P

• rds100rds100 Member

@EricCubixCloud you are from India? I apologize if you felt offended by my comment.

• @rds100 said: you are from India? I apologize

No, I'm not. I have many great friends and business partners in India though and I think highly of the country. No offense taken. :) Thanks though :)

• rds100rds100 Member

@EricCubixCloud i have nothing bad to say for the country, it's just the communication with support engineers outsourced to India is usually quite hard and sometimes frustrating.

@rds100 said: it's just the communication with support engineers outsourced to India is usually quite hard and sometimes frustrating.

Blame the companies who outsource them and dont trame them properly

I have had problems will call centres in Bulgaria personally too..

• rds100rds100 Member

@DanielM true, i guess you can't expect too much from a low-to-mid payed employee.

@liam said: I have had like problems with call centres in like liverpool.

LOL.

• qhosterqhoster Member
    edited July 2012

Spending whole day paying invoices :)

Instant OpenVZ/Xen VPS in UK, DE, US, FR, CH, NL - PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WM, PM, STP, OKPay, CashU, Ukash, AliPay
  • 25000 tickets this year

• @ShardHost said: 25000 tickets this year

What's your company name?

• CoreyCorey Member

That is a ridiculous amount of tickets.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • rskrsk Member

Nothing against outsourcing, but I rather know my clients personally.

Even when I am not working, I accept mail which is connected directly to my phone - thus, it gives my clients easy access to me at any time.

When I am not working, I am thinking of ideas on how to progress and build around the network :P

Regards,
    R. Alkhaili MyRSK - VPS hosting provider since 2009.

• JarJar Member
    edited July 2012

Maintenance, let's be fancy and say R&D (aka toying around with new ideas), and contract work. There goes my day. But let's be honest, #2 in that short list is the real time sink.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@EricCubixCloud said: You're actually working on something or doing what I do... get distracted then look at the clock and see how much time I've wasted? :P

Nah I am generally working but I do tend to have distractions going all the time with multi monitors.

• No, but i work 02-17 :)

Opinions/Posts are to be assumed my own/personal and not company related unless obvious
    Currently unemployed | Available for consulting | http://as198412.net | https://william.si

• MikHoMikHo Member

@damian Would that be answering tickets? Or what did you have in mind?

I think I put in atleast 12 hrs a day with things related in one way or another to my work.

http://www.lowendguide.com/ - the guides to administer your lowend vps | Make money writing tutorials
    Free CPanel Shared Hosting Locations: Miami (US) | Rotterdam (NL)
  • RandyRandy Disabled

i spes atleast 6hours or more. i got a smartlhone to help me cover whem i am out when you guys outsorce as in support?

• TazTaz Disabled

@Randy Fix your whmcs dude. Broken icons, leftover code(near footer) + Why do you have different logo in different places?

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• RandyRandy Disabled
    edited July 2012

@NH thanks i will fix those later when i have access to a pc.

as for the logo i forgot to update for wmcs;-)

Edit : Fixed

• I average a bit over 100 hours of actual work in a typical week, mostly management/customer relations (with some of our high-end customers)/"r&d"

• VictorVictor Member

Spend most of time browsing LET/LEB, looking for new projects to work on and answering the occasional tickets. :)

FiberVolt | Quality Los Angeles & Chicago Virtual Servers - http://fibervolt.com

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • I would hope Employees actually work during their time "on the clock" :-)

I myself average about 14 hours a day where i work, if my taskload permits it i work less on certain days to spend time with the girlfriend, friends etc. Most of my day goes to keeping in touch with the staff, following up on escalated tickets, "general" business tasks legalities and so on, following the related news and if i find myself with a little time on my hands i'll go and visit some forums.

Serverminds | Servers - VPS Specific Nodes - Native IPv6 in 8 global datacenters | http://www.serverminds.com

• I spend typically from 14 to 16 hours daily working, as this time includes browsing on different forums, related to hosting, which I still consider as some kind of research, however in total not more than 1 hour on average day. Support on my side is not outsourced yet, as I am still looking for reliable alternative. My customers rarely have issues, so it is quite over the support dept and as I am not yet promising 24/7 support, tickets are handled by me in that 14-hour time I am working. As most of my friends are working, they are often tired and as I am single for 2 months now, I have plenty of time and has happened to work for more than 16 hours straight. However, to keep on track I keep record of the things that are done and need to be done every day. The things I spend more time on varry - depending if I am looking for new customers or now, if I am going to expand in some other area and etc., meaning for example if I am trying to expand, I spend more time on doing research and on developing the thing I am about to offer to expand. I do take holidays, though, which is quite relaxing and gets me back on my feet really fast, @rds100 can confirm that in BG there are some nice places you can be on a holiday :) . Out of town, to relax, to spend time with my family or with friends. I can't leave to anywhere without my laptop and a 3g dongle, though. Even when I am going to other town/city, I just have the feeling that everything would just collapse and break down the second I get out of the office or out of home.

Disclosure: I work for Query Foundry LLC.
    I own DA International Group Ltd.
  • @Brandon said: What's your company name?

http://www.daddycheese.com

• @ShardHost said: http://www.daddycheese.com

Ah okay that makes more sense.

• @ztec said: Loving the name!

>

Thanks ;)

• @Damian -- He was a friend through the interwebs.

You could check freelancer.com -- Do a few interviews, whatnot. Or WHT Job Posts? Pay, Per ticket if they're casual, or per hour if they're not.

Systems Administrator | IWFHosting

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.