Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting a VPN provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Starting a VPN provider

I want to start a VPN provider for fun and for profit but I'm not quite sure how I'd go about this, it doesn't seem like there's any ways to get openvpn AS working with WHMCS, anyone have any idea on the easiest way to go about doing this?

Comments

• @TommehM said:
    for fun

Nope, just stop here.

Thanked by 1pbalazs123
  • wychwych Member
    edited September 2014

@TommehM said:
    I want to start a VPN provider for fun and for profit

Just don't, this feels like vpn.sh all over again.

but I'm not quite sure how I'd go about this, it doesn't seem like there's any ways to get openvpn AS working with WHMCS, anyone have any idea on the easiest way to go about doing this?

You can't; either code a module or buy the existing one.

BTW - Nice photo's!

• wych said: You can't; either code a module or buy the existing one.

BTW - Nice photo's!

I've looked at the safesrv one and it doesn't seem like it even exists anymore, is there any others?

and thanks :)

• Just use open source openvpn and plugin.

• @TommehM said:
    I've looked at the safesrv one and it doesn't seem like it even exists anymore, is there any others?

Seems to still be out there?

http://safesrv.net/main-freeradius-module/ | https://github.com/secondimpression/whmcs-freeradius

• mycloud said: Just use open source openvpn and plugin.

And what plugin?

I was looking at that one, it looks pretty decent.

• Best approach is to find a dual core atom server, maybe 1gb ram at most, probably a small 40gb disk. Don't use more than 1 hdd, make sure you're running at most a 10mbit port. Then sign up as many as you can and it's $$$ all the way to the bank, no effort required just easy money.

• @sc754 said:
    Best approach is to find a dual core atom server, maybe 1gb ram at most, probably a small 40gb disk. Don't use more than 1 hdd, make sure you're running at most a 10mbit port. Then sign up as many as you can and it's $$$ all the way to the bank, no effort required just easy money.

LoL XD

• Truthfully unlike solusvm/whmcs or cpanel/whmcs, there is no turn-key solution to this to were you barely work and get easy money.

You will have to write a full backend management system for managing the VPN users, certs, as well as a whmcs module to bridge the tool. Unless you have a lot of money to hire a coder, or are a coder your self, this isn't going to be an easy venture.

Oh and don't forget to get datacenters who are understanding with DMCA's, as you WILL get abuse.

Good luck!

• @sc754 said:
    Best approach is to find a dual core atom server, maybe 1gb ram at most, probably a small 40gb disk. Don't use more than 1 hdd, make sure you're running at most a 10mbit port. Then sign up as many as you can and it's $$$ all the way to the bank, no effort required just easy money.

Until the cops breaks your door because someone used your VPN to do illegal stuffs.

• @Chuck said:
    Until the cops breaks your door because someone used your VPN to do illegal stuffs.

He forgot the step about the dedi being in Russia.

• openvpn is open source and very flexible

you can even write your own integration

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

If you want to do it for fun, then you ought to be offering free services. Don't charge people for your practice run.