Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ColoCrossing 1+ year review.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ColoCrossing 1+ year review.

Hello fellow LETalkers,

While I am positive I’m not the only one here who’s having a good experience with ColoCrossing, I sure don’t see enough positive feedback, or even any good feedback at all. However, since it’s been over a year since we used ColoCrossing, I thought I’d give them public review today.

I am a part of a small web hosting company which name I prefer not to mention as we are not a low-end provider, and we have servers in each and every ColoCrossing location in the united states.

Over a year ago, I personally sent an email to ColoCrossing with requesting a quote for a server. Shortly after, @jbiloh responded to me with a more than a reasonable offer which left me with no choice but signing up and giving them a shot. Not long after, we officially migrated our first server from our old location to ColoCrossing, and we continued to host with them ever since.

List of requirements:

When we approached ColoCrossing, we had a long list of requirement, such as announcing IPs over our own ASN, building a carrier-symmetric AnyCAST Network, up to 20x the regular bandwidth offerings, special routing configuration, custom DDoS filters, and custom hardware specifications and configuration in some cases. With the exception of IPv6 (which is excepted soon), we had each and every one of our requirement accommodated. The least I could say is that ColoCrossing went above and beyond a few rounds to accommodate our requirements.

Uptime:

Network uptime, aside from unexpected carrier mess-ups, has been 100%. Power uptime has been 100%.

Support:

I am not exaggerating when I say that ColoCrossing’s support staff is as prompt as they are fast when it comes to responding to tickets. The average response time is 3~5 minutes; whether it’s 2:00am or 2:00pm, it makes no difference. There’s always a SysAdmin on the other line should I need to pick up the phone, and everyone knows what they’re doing.

I have read many reviews and companies on LowEndTalk about ColoCrossing and Spamhaus, also VPSBoard seems to have a few members dedicated to bashing ColoCrossing. I’m sure this would doubtlessly scare many people away. However, we personally had no issues regarding that. When we ended up with some IPs that were blacklisted with SpamHaus, ColoCrossing simply swapped them for clean IPs with an apology and a promise it’s being worked on. I’m not a fan of SpamHaus myself, but the fact that they are one of the most used DNSBLs out there is undeniable. I however strictly believe that ColoCrossing are NOT tolerating spam. For example, each time I reported spam to ColoCrossing, the next day I wouldn’t be receiving any spam at all, and I don’t even tell them which email address is getting spammed… It just stops. They DO handle it well, despite of what many would say.

I know I’m not the only one here with a positive experience with ColoCrossing, other providers like CVPS and CVH use and love ColoCrossing. But again, LET is not very fond of either.

Bottom line is that I like ColoCrossing and will continue to use them. My advise for those who never used ColoCrossing is to not depend on the reviews you read, give them a shot first and decide for yourself.

P.S. Forgive my grammar and spelling mistakes. It's 2:00am :-)

Thanked by 1aglodek

Comments

• No doubt, they are doing a great & professional job, price is a bit high but it worth that.

• NoermanNoerman Member
    edited September 2014

said: VPSBoard seems to have a few members dedicated to bashing ColoCrossing

• @Noerman said:

So does LET what's your point?

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited September 2014

ColoCrossing doesn't seem too bad of a provider. The only reason why people dislike them is because of their blacklisted IPs and the spam abuses.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Happy to hear of your positive experience. We work hard to please.

Gotta love that meme. Joe feels famous. :)

• said: With the exception of IPv6 (which is excepted soon)

Soon™

Anyhow, I'm don't have complaints with Colocrossing, the vpses I have running with hosts in CC are running just fine for me.

• cassa said: Anyhow, I'm don't have complaints with Colocrossing, the vpses I have running with hosts in CC are running just fine for me.

I bet they are. The true experience with ColoCrossing is when you have dedicated servers with them directly. This is when you truly see how great their uptime and hardware is.

For example, here's a dd test from a XEN PV OnApp Cloud server with 512 MB Ram:

root@test:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=1g bs=1M count=1024 oflag=direct
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.16337 s, 923 MB/s

We have no complaints, and I doubt we ever will.

• jbiloh said: Happy to hear of your positive experience. We work hard to please.

*Succeed.

• GreenHostBox said: ColoCrossing doesn't seem too bad of a provider. The only reason why people dislike them is because of their blacklisted IPs and the spam abuses.

Yes, but this is being worked on and I personally had some hands-on experience with it. We mostly use our own IPs with ColoCrossing, so it doesn't bother us too much

• cassa said: Soon™

Trust me, it'll be way sooner than you expect :)

• ATHK said: So does LET what's your point?

It's not that. If you browse VPSBoard enough, you'd see what I mean here. It's like there's some sort of a one-sided bitter rivalry where some VPSBoard members feel compelled to trash-talk about ColoCrossing.

• Sooner then I expect?

You have to be kidding me, I have been waiting for 3 years now for "sooner than you expect :)"

• It's here on LowEndTalk as well, although they're too cowardly to come out and cry in this thread since your Opening Post was detailed enough not to fault. It's kind of sad how the bandwagon troll mentality works around here, and how easy it is to influence the groupthink.

@Mun said:
    You have to be kidding me, I have been waiting for 3 years now for "sooner than you expect :)"

Agreed frankly, we left ColoCrossing some three years ago because they literally couldn't figure out how to make IPv6 work. I still don't understand how they can't, here's a list of IPv6 capable routers and switches that they could be using to support IPv6:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/collateral/tk648/tk872/tk373/technologies_white_paper_09186a00802219bc.html

http://www.brocade.com/solutions-technology/technology/ipv6/products.page

Every networking company has a solution, although Cisco was pretty slow on the draw.

@goodhosting We want to do a nationwide rollout of IPV6. At this time our equipment in all locations is IPv6 ready as we have completed our immense network infrastructure improvement project (lots of brand new Juniper and Brocade gear). We're now developing our network automation platform so that it fully supports v6. We're looking forward to enabling v6 as soon as we're ready on the software side.

We hope to see you back as a customer sometime in the future.

• You write lots of stuff but you still hide the company you run.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @jbiloh said:

I'm glad to hear that you guys want to enable v6 network-wide as one fell swoop.

Might I recommend paying some competent developers to fix your ubersmith front-end?

There are still a multitude of issues I reported back when I was a customer the first time...

• Its nice to see a positive review, but at that, one from a long time customer.

• GoodHosting said: Might I recommend paying some competent developers to fix your ubersmith front-end?

What makes you think its an Ubersmith front-end...? I'm genuinely curious.

• @GoodHosting said:
    Might I recommend paying some competent developers to fix your ubersmith front-end?

It's not ubersmith at all. It's completely custom.

• @QuadraNet_Adam said:
    What makes you think its an Ubersmith front-end...? I'm genuinely curious.

I always assume Ubersmith at this point, since even most companies that do "Custom panels" (like SingleHOP for example) are simply using the Ubersmith API as a boilerplate and extending features on top of it.

@serverian said:

Portal is all proprietary. It's a lot more powerful than Ubersmith.

We have 3 full time developers, and we're making speedy progress on all fronts. We just released our API a couple of weeks ago too.

As always we are open to suggestions!

• @jbiloh said:
    Portal is all proprietary. It's a lot more powerful than Ubersmith.

We have 3 full time developers, and we're making speedy progress on all fronts. We just released our API a couple of weeks ago too.

As always we are open to suggestions!

you also have DC in netherlands?
    and can i maybe colocate my desktop computer

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2014

Is he personally under your investigation for some reason? Just wondering.

• @Spirit said:
    Is he personally under your investigation for some reason? Just wondering.

I'm just curious. He comments on stuff he uses like Onapp and Colocrossing but never mentions his company name. Hiding it making him suspicious :p

• I'm also genuinely curious about the company run by @DalekOfSkaro. Care to tell?

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

DalekOfSkaro said: It's not that. If you browse VPSBoard enough, you'd see what I mean here. It's like there's some sort of a one-sided bitter rivalry where some VPSBoard members feel compelled to trash-talk about ColoCrossing.

If you browse LET enough, you'll see the same negativity provided the threads weren't removed. Some members who were vocal about some of CC's shadiness left LET/LEB because CC owns it, so they came to vpsBoard. Simple as that.

People don't dislike them for absolutely no reason, there were and continue to be reasons.

• serverian said: You write lots of stuff but you still hide the company you run.

Well, I joined LET to participate to the community and post my opinions and I didn't think my company's name would make any difference since I don't plan to make offers or advertise our services here. So I decided to keep it simple. Furthermore, our prices are nothing LET/LEB users would be interested in.

Might I ask what makes you think that I do?

serverian said: I'm just curious. He comments on stuff he uses like Onapp and Colocrossing but never mentions his company name. Hiding it making him suspicious :p

While I completely understand your concern, I have no way to providing anything here unless I reveal my company's name, which I really don't want to. However, we do use ColoCrossing, OnApp, SolusVM, and we're a cPanel, Parallels, LightSpeed, and CloudLinux partners.

k0nsl said: I'm also genuinely curious about the company run by @DalekOfSkaro. Care to tell?

I seem to have made many people curious, didn't I?

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

DalekOfSkaro said: I seem to have made many people curious, didn't I?

Very much so, yes.