Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for price match / beat
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for price match / beat

BhuvanBhuvan Member
edited September 2014 in Requests

Dual E5-2620 , 64GB RAM , 4x512GB ssd , onboard raid 10 , 125 IPv4, 10 TB @ 1 GBPS @ $250
Dual E5-2620 , 64GB RAM , 4x2TB HDD , onboard raid 10 , 125 IPv4 , 10TB @ 1GBPS @ $199

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

lol

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited September 2014

We (incero.com) do those with setup fees (~$1-3k depending on RAM which you didn't mention). A+B psus fed by A+B PDU+UPS is included. Using LSI 2208 RAID (e.g. 9271-4i etc). /24 is free including RDNS delegation. 100TB on gig port is include. 10gig port is an upgrade option.

• Where did u get offer from

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

said: onboard raid 10 ?

• Software RAID possibly?

• @mikeg

its HW raid

• @Bhuvan said:
    mikeg

its HW raid

What card?

• edited September 2014

Lsi 9260 or higher they were offering i think idk which though

• Be realistic, those prices aren't sustainable for any provider. That is even cheaper than OVH offers their servers for. The first system alone would cost upwards of $4000 to build.

• I wonder where he is getting it though

• True question is why would he want a price match ? wouldn't you just go to that provider from that point ? that either means this isn't a actual provider OR that provider has a bad rep.

• @Shivam said:
    True question is why would he want a price match ? wouldn't you just go to that provider from that point ? that either means this isn't a actual provider OR that provider has a bad rep.

He wants something even cheaper.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited September 2014

@vdnet said:
    Be realistic, those prices aren't sustainable for any provider. That is even cheaper than OVH offers their servers for. The first system alone would cost upwards of $4000 to build.

Dual E5-2620

64GB RAM

4x512GB ssd

onboard raid 10 @ $250

Actually no, the price wouldn't be $4,000 to build, see below:

This is an example, I wouldn't recommend these parts specifically.

Qty - Price (USD) - MODEL NAME OR NUMBER
    1x - $760.00 - SUPERMICRO SYS-6017R-TDF 1U Rackmount w/PSU
    1x - $30.00 - SUPERMICRO 1U STANDARD RACK AND RAIL KIT
    2x - $440.00 - Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 LGA 2011 80W BX80635E52620V2
    8x - $85.00 - Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3-1600 ECC Reg. KVR16LR11S4/8I
    1x - $370.00 - LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i PCIe 2 w/ 512MB RAM, RAID, Kit
    4x - $210.00 - Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 512GB MLC SSD
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Total: $3,560 USD (New) -- Not including financing or discounts

It's missing a few things, such as the PCI riser, cables, etcetera; but that still comes out at a lower price than your original gross estimate of $4,000 for a server of this specification. It's important to note that a lot of LowEnd providers will purchase already-used hardware or certified refurbished hardware, greatly reducing the cost from the original table above. The OP also did not specify a real RAID card, so you could easily reduce the quoted price from $3,560 USD to $3,190 .

If you don't care about the RAM being low voltage, you could reduce the price further to $2,980 .

There's simply a lot of ways you can cut price.

• I'm not sure who can do this lol ? i'd be all over them if someone did this. Tbh he says ''Price match / beat it''

• @GoodHosting said:
    If you don't care about the RAM being low voltage, you could reduce the price further to $2,980 .

>

Furthermore, if we work the price out across some time periods:

6 Months | $496.67
    12 Months | $248.33 (break even point, minus fees, hardware replacement, etc.)
    18 Months | $165.56 (actual break even point, with fees, replacements, etc.)
    24 Months | $124.17

Hell, some people even go in for the long haul:
    36 Months | $82.78

Of course, none of these include the small price of colocation, or power+net+cooling, etc.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited September 2014

@GoodHosting said:

You are missing a lot of information.

• First off, the MX100 series are not server SSDs.
    • You aren't including any build costs. Someone has to put it together and it has to be shipped.
    • You aren't including any warranty information or spare parts which dedicated servers have to have to satisfy their SLAs or if the host is leasing the server as the leasing company would require this and other standards.
  • @vdnet said:

Of course it's missing things, I didn't say it wasn't.

Worth noting:

• Most "server" SSDs are absolutely terrible on I/O (look at Intel's disgusting SSDs for a good example of what not to do with a solid state drive, 12K write IOps is simply unacceptable on an SSD.

• Yup, I built the above quote assuming someone was colocating, or purchasing the server themselves. I would assume they knew how to assemble a server (It's really not that hard, put the square thing in the square hole, hard to fuck up.)

As per the last point, it has to be touched on in parts:

• Again, if this were colocation or a self-purchase; SLA would not come into play.
    • I have over-simplified the parts listings (rounding prices, etc.) as an example only.

I do especially agree about the following however:

• Spare parts must be purchased, this is a very good point that should not be overlooked.

And, interestingly enough:

• Many "LowEnd" providers do not actually have many spare parts on site (or own hardware, heh.)
    • I can name/shame four "Enterprise" providers that do not have enough spare parts on site.

Not to mention my point about refurbished parts.

• GoodHosting said: Of course it's missing things, I didn't say it wasn't.

What you're missing the most is you don't build 1 server build for 1 person. You've built it for him so of course it's cheap. When you actually rent servers you want flexibility and common items etc. To help with spare parts and to adjust to different orders. This means you often can't get he cheapest parts. There's a lot more to it then looking at a quote online for a server. There's also IPMI support, how well the board works, etc...

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

@Bhuvan said:
    Dual E5-2620 , 64GB RAM , 4x512GB ssd , onboard raid 10 , 125 IPv4, 10 TB @ 1 GBPS @ $250
    Dual E5-2620 , 64GB RAM , 4x2TB HDD , onboard raid 10 , 125 IPv4 , 10TB @ 1GBPS @ $199

Forget about price match! Grab 20 of them.

• I enquired about it , they say they gonna use

Supermicro X9DRD-IF motherboard

Samsung 840 SSDs

for 72 GB ram they asked 1 time fee of $160 with no extra monthly charge

• thats not a bad deal being a 2x E5-2620 , i'd get one of them $250 for a E5 with on board raid STATA III -> 6 gbps on raid 10 config with Samsung EVO SSD drives packs quite the punch all that including 125 IPv4 Canadian server im just dying to know the provider lol