Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increhost says sorry for accidentally deleting the VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Increhost says sorry for accidentally deleting the VPS

HWAYSHWAYS Member
edited September 2014 in General

I had nothing to say but only good words on Increhost. Nice servers, nice support.
Had 2 services with them and decided to cancel one of them as I don't use it anymore.

This morning got an email from Increhost that simply says that they are sorry for deleting both my VPS.

The other VPS was for a client of mine and worked a full night for configuration and move the data. In the same time, the client worked on his side and added information to his website in the last month as well.

Now, everything is lost. I did no off server backup of the website as this website was scheduled to setup a off server rsync today, on Sunday. I just postponed the work for today as yesterday was too late ..
Now IT IS late.

I Had only local backups only as I was prepared for my or my client mistakes...

I am deeply sad that a company I was trusting did this.

Below is the message from them:

_"Dear customer, we are deeply sorry in inform you that while processing the cancelation of one of your servers
there as a mistake on our side which ended with the cancelation of both of your VPS.

This is indeed our mistake, and we have re deployed the server so you can enter and restor data from a backup.

Unfortunately, this services are not being under a backup schedule, so the data of your server is unrecoverable for us.

we have forward your case to our management whom is on duty on Monday, in case you want a refund for this service.

Again, w are deeply sorry for this very uncommon and unfortunate mistake.

Kind Regards"_

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Backups are extremely important. VPSDime+rsync=super easy backups.

• I agree with you. But i shouldn't buy extra services to defend myself from some idiots pressing the buttons.

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited September 2014

This is unacceptable at all and this shouldn't happen, not even once. I can feel your frustration right now, losing everything after days of hard work. In the future, take backups of your VPS and store them off-site so if this happens to occur again, you have nothing to worry about.

• @HWAYS said:
    IBut i shouldn't buy extra services to defend myself from some idiots pressing the buttons.

Yes, you should if your data is important.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@HWAYS said:
    I agree with you. But i shouldn't buy extra services to defend myself from some idiots pressing the buttons.

Sometimes unforeseen things happen, not just someone hitting a button and your data goes poof. VPSDime is cheap, 250GB of storage for $5 dollars is amazing.

• Frankly it isnt only one day of work. It is my client work for one month of adding info to his website. In the same time, 3 days ago a developer installed on his website a custom work that it is lost entirely.

I cannot evaluate the lost right now but this is tough for me from a provider I trusted.

• @mattherwvz, this isn't the issue. I told you that the car I bought as new was defective from the start and had an accident and you keep repeating me that I should buy an insurance.

I have a VPSDime VPS for backup and I was setup backups for all my VPS to that one.
    On Increhost I had 2 accounts, one was already moved and fine, I was prepared to work on the second one while Increhost deleted it!

The idea is that it can happen to anybody even before starting the rsync.

• HWAYS said: I cannot evaluate the lost right now but this is tough for me from a provider I trusted.

It's like buying insurance. You do need backups.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Yes, a tough lesson. Very soon we will need backups to backups as the backup service can fail as well.
    You never know if they are not in the same DC on fire ... :)

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • @HWAYS said:
    I agree with you. But i shouldn't buy extra services to defend myself from some idiots pressing the buttons.

Shit happens, cover your ass, stay happy :)

• @HWAYS said:
    Yes, a tough lesson. Very soon we will need backups to backups as the backup service can fail as well.

Accidents happens. You have to try to be safe. You could have taken the backups .... From now on its your fundamental job. Thanks for sharing this with us. I have faced that once .... From who ? They are not a company anymore.

I think you should at least take weekly backup to your pc ... and i don't think your site will be heavy like 1-2 Petabyte .... So keep backup as many as possible by you... That is what i have learned. Provider will try to give you something but they will not be able to give you back all your work and time to that vps.... However, Hope you will recover.

• Had an accident with another company (the install was corrupted and the VPS didnt boot) but they managed to restored it from backup in minutes. MyCustomhosting and Phil. But this another league.

At that time I decided to prepare the backups. Got a backup server and started to backup one by one. The deleted one was scheduled to be done today. But in the morning it was already deleted.

Hard lesson, ya.

• @HWAYS

Sorry to hear about the incident. It really does suck. Other than the lesson learn and the earful you're going to give the provider on Monday, you may want to prepare the conversation you're going to have with your client and mitigate that relationship.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @HWAYS said: Yes, a tough lesson. Very soon we will need backups to backups as the backup service can fail as well.

You mean that if you do bother, then you only do one backup? Seriously...?

Joking aside, the "very soon" is here and now. And rsync works the same to one or two backup destinations. And for best results (read: easier, faster recovery), I suggest cloning entire containers.

• concerto49 said: It's like buying insurance. You do need backups.

Agreed but it appears a retard runs the company. i meen how can such a thing happen?

• @Sumo: thank you. I already did it. It is also mistake as I have trust nobody.

It will be very tough as the website is empty totally empty. I am very ashamed.
    I understand that the hdd may fail but a human error in this field doesn't sound me like professionalism.
    I wasn't expected that from Increhost.

• @tarrzd I wouldn't call them like that. The guy that did that is not professional. And therefore for one person a company suffers.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited September 2014

http://increhost.com/en/terms-of-service.html

7 We do not store any backups of users data due to our low costs, we suggest users to make and maintain their own backups.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member
    edited September 2014

Sure. I agree with this. I dont blame them because they don't have backups, I blame them because they deleted an account. Is it hard to see the difference ?

It is written in the TOS that we can accidentally delete the accounts therefore please do backups ?

When you go with the car to the Service Center do they ask you for a full insurance because their servicemen can put fire on your car ?

So, any new client of Increhost (or even the old one) should think: "nice price, nice offers but I have to be prepared as they can delete my account all the time".

what if I have a forum as this one and the backups are done at each 24 hrs ? Should be ok to have lost 5000 posts ?

I run another ecommerce website with 40 orders per day. I have daily backups. Should I expect to lose all the daily orders because a smart guy delete my account ?

HOW can this action be indemnified ?

Pls re-read their statement:

"...while processing the cancelation of one of your servers there as a mistake on our side which ended with the cancelation of both of your VPS.
    ..."

You won't be happy with this either.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Let me get this straight:

1 In an unfortunate turn of events, your host lost some of your data. On this occasion it was avoidable, but it had no consequences beyond that of a common hardware failure, which is a risk you should be aware could strike at any time.

2 They make it clear in their ToS they don't take backups, and this is standard practice in the low-end industry.

3 You're doing this work for money, and your margins are so tight you can't justify $5/month for backup, and you haven't discussed with your client the very real risks you are putting their data/business at.

I have a feeling that Increhost will be in business long after you've completely destroyed your own. If you're so confident you are not at fault, why don't you post your full business details here so potential clients can read this thread and see the care you'll take with their data, and how quick you are to point fingers when you get caught with your pants down?

• HWAYSHWAYS Member
    edited September 2014

@tedan: is anywhere I mention that it isn't my fault that I had no backups.??
    Read the first sentence if my post. They are a good company and I liked them very much.

Moreover as I already mention but you failed to read the vps was scheduled to be backup today as everything was setup in place.

This didn't happen as it doesn't exist anymore.

As I already mention, it is truly understandable when it is hardware failure.
    But it is hard to accept such a mistake yo delete an account... as you thought that both have to be deleted.

Please 're read my statements. I don't accuse the company itself. Somebody made them retards. I defended them as it isn't ok.

But you can not call him professional while one guy is doing such thing.

You know, it is a common technique in disinformation to throw the guilty On somebody else as you did in the previously post.

It isn't a smart as tomorrow other accounts may be deleted and you or whatever will hide the "professionalism" behind the terms and conditions.

I only expect that the Increhost manager to throw away that guy. Or it sint his fault maybe?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • matthewvz said: Backups are extremely important.

+1

• Sure they are Harold. We will need hourly backups soon.

But the backup thing is a second plan. The first one is a non professional company from a respected company that deleted an account.

Simply like that.

Or should I simplu think: Oh, I shut you. Sorry :-) But you should had a gun too.

• Would you feel better if they said it was corrupted HDD and lost your data? I mean, drive failures could happen that very night, or anytime; hence the importance of backups for whatever reason. Yes, I agree it's the host technician fault. At the very least they are honest and willing to admit mistakes, it's hard for some to do the same.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Yes. I was thinking the same. HDD Corruption and the TOS provisions.
    In any case they are a good company with good servers. Too bad for such individuals.

• i didn't read everything except the main thread, i used Increhost for about 2 months and they were always helpful and to the point. i am sorry to hear your lose but you will always remember to backup the last state. no matter what.

• You guys really should read the thread instead of repeating the annoying backups are important ..

@HWAYS Obviously knows that they are important and already stated in the original post that the backup was set at an daily interval (if I read it correctly), appearently one of the VPS that should not have been destroyed did get destroyed before the scheduled backup could start. I definitly would blame the host for destroying a VPS that never was requested to be destroyed.

• @HWAYS
    don't you make mistakes?
    The host made a mistake, were honest about it (most people would have given some other excuse) and are also willing to provide refund.
    The host has accepted your mistake, now you should too accept that you should have backups.

Thanked by 2obakfahad ucxo
  • HWAYSHWAYS Member
    edited September 2014

@techkken: you touched my heart. I just want you not to have such experience. Even sincere.

I already mentioned several times. I had local backups and I was programming an off server one.

The server was deleted even before rsync starts to transfer 3 files to my VPSDime server.

Probably you will tell me that I am not lucky or it is God's will. :-)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Human error happens, it is a sad fact of life, at least they admitted it rather than blaming clients like some hosts here have done.

It is a horrible experience either way.

I have accidentally lost a clients disk image in the past, it is a long story that involved a complex request a bug in solusvm and a touch of human error.

I immediately informed him said sorry 100 times and offered free service for life or to pay for the next 3 years of service at another host of his choosing without restriction up front if he decided he could no longer stay.

I also sent details of what process had been put in place to make sure this would never happen again.

I got an email back within a few minutes saying "these things happen, I have backups, appreciate the honesty don't worry about it" he is still a client 3 year later.

Really this was not done through malice, I can almost promise you they feel absolutely terrible about it but if it was that important you would not have left it so long without putting some recovery plan in place yourself, what if they said "Sorry the raid array failed, we have recreated your base system, please restore your own backups" you would have no one to blame but yourself and the truth is disks fail more often that hosts accidentally delete stuff.

just my 2c, sorry this happened it is not nice either way.