Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can you do with the vps with the ipv6 address provided?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can you do with the vps with the ipv6 address provided?

I have several hosts nowadays, some of which provide me with one ipv6 address or even more.

To my astonishment, I seldom utilize all these ipv6 addresses and most frequently I choose ipv4.

What can you do with the host bound with ipv6 address? I need some experience concerning this.

What I can think of is to build a ipv6 address website?

I will appreciate it if you can share more details about this. Thank you.

Comments

• As more ISP's adopt IPv6 I would expect more services and systems to start utilising it.

Pretty much Spirit gave the best reference on LET.

• I use routed /64s and /48s for VPN tunnels, so that VPN clients can have public IPs in the v6 world. Anything to be rid of NAT all over the place!

Another use, if you happen to be into network labing, is that your Dynamips/GNS3/JunOS Olive topology can be all public IPs, and reachable from the internet.

Really, just start to think of any situation in which you wished you did have many, many more v4 addresses, and that can be a reality!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

If you get one IPv6 address, then you can do pretty much the same thing you already do with IPv4, i.e. enable access to your services such as your website over IPv6 too.

If you get a few IPv6 addresses ("16 IPv6", like so many providers loved to give, but it's a wrong practice and this changes now towards providing larger subnets), then that's a weird spot, you don't get much over 1 IPv6, maybe just some more reverse hostnames to use with for your IRC bouncer.

And if you get a subnet such as a /64 or /56, you can do this: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/28237/ipv6-tunnel-broker-with-openvpn-on-openvz/p1