Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clueless Online.net support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clueless Online.net support

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
edited September 2014 in Providers

I'm desperate. One would think Online.net is a big ISP and has a decent an knoweldgable support, but my first try with them couldn't be worse.

I will try to keep it simple:

• Got a server, IP address is on the 195.154.0.0/16 range.
  • 154.195.in-addr.arpa has 3 delegated NS: nsa.online.net, nsb.online.net and ns.ripe.net
  • ns.ripe.net isn't working as a slave for the zone, throws NXDOMAIN
  • As a result, one of each three RDNS queries for the 195.154.0.0/16 range is getting incorrect results.

Fix is as easy as removing ns.ripe.net from the delegation or correctly setting it up as a slave, whatever they want. The technician assigned to my ticket just refuses to recognize the problem and seems clueless about it. Escalation to a manager doesn't seem to work. Meanwhile, rDNS for the whole 195.154.0.0/16 is not working correctly and they couldn't care less.

I honestly don't know how this could be explained better to them so it can be fixed. If you have a dedicated server on the 195.154.0.0/16 range, you probably want to submit a ticket about it, since you are affected too. Maybe a different technician can see it and does understand how PTR delegations work.

Full ticket, for anyone interested: http://cl.ly/image/3t301K0A1z2T

Thanked by 1rm_

Comments

• Ask them to delegate to your own servers. Setup a DNS server with a reverse DNS space and away you go.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Mun said: Ask them to delegate to your own servers. Setup a DNS server with a reverse DNS space and away you go.

Is that possible for a /32? Even then, I don't think they support/would do it.

And anyway, this is a problem common for the whole /16, not my responsibility and out of my hand.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Nyr said: Is that possible for a /32? Even then, I don't think they support/would do it.

nope, well technically yes but 99 times out of 100 no.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • Instead of removing ns.ripe.net, they should allow the zone to be transferred from 193.0.0.0/22 and 2001:610:240::/48 and 2001:67c:2e8::/48

• I have 2 IPv4s in this range.

• ShivamShivam Member
    edited September 2014

If they refuse to help , get a refund first time i got a server after on the first day some things didn't work so i just decided to get a refund. contacting support, it always took a day for a response.

• I wonder how much profit they make on their ips ?

• "dig -x 195.154.110.X @ns.ripe.net +tcp +short" is showing me nothing.

rds100 said: Instead of removing ns.ripe.net, they should allow the zone to be transferred from 193.0.0.0/22 and 2001:610:240::/48 and 2001:67c:2e8::/48

They use only their own servers with other ranges, that's what I mentioned the two ways.

kcaj said: I have 2 IPv4s in this range.

If you want to submit a ticket about it, maybe a different tech will pick it up... escalation to a manager doesn't seem to work :(

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

Nyr said: If you want to submit a ticket about it, maybe a different tech will pick it up... escalation to a manager doesn't seem to work :(

I've brought it to the attention of someone via IRC, I'll let you know if they're able to make any progress on the matter.

EDIT: Fixed > http://forum.online.net/index.php?/topic/4835-support-technican-doesnt-seem-to-understand-how-ptr-delegation-works/?p=25650

Thanked by 2Mark_R Nyr
  • tehdantehdan Member
    edited September 2014

edit - see you've got it fixed

@nyr thanks for spotting!

edited September 2014

This has been fixed as soon as @kcaj did let them know. Just incredible after more than a week with this problem and the technician not helping at all.

Thank you again, @kcaj!

Edit: zone still not transfered to RIPE, but should soon since they acknowledged the problem said a fix is being deployed now :)

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2014

Nyr said: This has been fixed as soon as @kcaj did let them know. Just incredible after more than a week with this problem and the technician not helping at all.

Thank you again, @kcaj!

You're welcome, however mikmak had already replied to the forum post by the time I had passed him a link to here.

• The best way to get an answer is to reply in french or when the member assigned to the ticket is offline. At that point report it to the manager to get a new rep.

• Did anyone else notice that one of their nameservers is "nsa.online.net"
    LOL

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Nyr wow wow wow you got them to fix this? And for all of their ranges? Wow you're a hero :D Here's something for your reading pleasure (from back in january this year, OneProvider).
    http://s.lowendshare.com/8/1411097380.465.2014-09-19T032743Z-op.png

rm_ said: Here's something for your reading pleasure (from back in january this year, OneProvider).

http://s.lowendshare.com/8/1411097380.465.2014-09-19T032743Z-op.png

Oh, my...

• Yeah, I got this problem too, but they fixed it this morning :)

• OnlineJulienOnlineJulien Member
    edited September 2014

Hello,

we're sorry for the problems you've got, it looks like it have been solved by one of our network engineer.

Julien @ Online.net.

• over 12 hours now - anyone seen their PTR appear on ripe's NS yet?

@tehdan said:
    over 12 hours now - anyone seen their PTR appear on ripe's NS yet?

For mine, the RIPE NS is not directly answering but reporting the two other authoritative name servers, so fixed anyway.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

their support is more than hell.

since last 20 days i am in touch with them regarding a 1.99 euro payment, but they aren't able to resolve...

• @agentmishra said:
    their support is more than hell.

I wouldn't describe dealing with them as hell.

edited September 2014

@wych said:
    I wouldn't describe dealing with them as hell.

dear @wych

you would better understand if i would paste, for you, the complete ticket script.

• wychwych Member
    edited September 2014

@agentmishra said:

Maybe, but at the end of the day that is your experience and I have mine that differs.

@wych said:
    Maybe, but at the end of the day that is your experience and I have mine that differs.

i agree.

• To be honest: I had and have no problems at all with their support. Maybe a language barrier? I speak french and their english is not always the best, even though it improved a lot...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • They are million times better than 123 system.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Nyr said: For mine, the RIPE NS is not directly answering but reporting the two other authoritative name servers, so fixed anyway.

How do you check that this is the case? I feel this is still not fixed for some ranges, e.g. 195.154.107.*