Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnApp bought SolusVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnApp bought SolusVM

This has been planned for awhile apparently what will come of this?

Comments

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider
  • @VMNode said:
    This has been planned for awhile apparently what will come of this?

Really? Hopefully more improvements!

• Just got a mail!

Hi James,

You've probably noticed the big "watch this space" message we’ve had on the SolusVM homepage for the last few weeks. Well, here's our big news… SolusVM is now part of OnApp!

I'm really excited about this move, and I've been itching to share it with you. OnApp is one of the most exciting and innovative companies in cloud computing today.

As part of OnApp, we have the backing of a large, successful and very well-funded business, and the support of a team of really smart, switched-on people who know hosting inside out, and who care about what SolusVM customers need.

So, what does this mean for SolusVM?
    We're not changing the fundamental purpose of SolusVM. SolusVM was designed as a fast and streamlined way to deploy and manage your virtual servers. Now we’ll be able to focus even more time and energy to make it the best it can possibly be.

One of the most exciting things we’re planning to do is to open up SolusVM to OnApp’s global network of clouds - otherwise known as the OnApp Federation - so you can deploy virtual servers on cloud infrastructure all over the world, on demand. That’s going to be pretty awesome and we should be introducing the first beta before the end of the year.

We also hope to expand the range of templates available with SolusVM, too.

What else?
    As part of the OnApp team I’ll continue leading the development of SolusVM, and we’ll be building up the SolusVM development team too.

Apart from that, and a few little changes to the website, you shouldn’t see any real difference to the way you buy and use SolusVM today. SolusVM is going to keep improving and keep delivering what we know you guys all rely on.

With the backing and resources of OnApp, we’re going to be able to keep doing that, long into the future. And that, pure and simple, is why we've made this move.

Join our webinar to find out more
    I’m sure you’ll have questions and I'd love to hear what you think. Together with OnApp's CEO, Ditlev Bredahl, we’ll be running a webinar on 25th September where we’ll give you more detail on our plans, and answer any questions you might have.

You can register for the webinar, read the press release and FAQs and ask questions here: http://onapp.com/solusvm.

These are exciting times, and I can't wait to get started on the next phase of our journey with SolusVM. I look forward to telling you more!

Best regards,

Phill Bandelow
    Founder, SolusVM

OnApp | The Cooperage, 91 Brick Lane, London E1 6QL, UK | contact us

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

Pretty sure it will go great together!

• I hope so!

• As an OnApp Provider: I hope OnApp will adopt some of SolusVM Nice features, like ISO Mount and more *BSD Support.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited September 2014

Wait. Wait. Wait. What?!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • We are very excited with this announcement, it will open a whole new marketplace to Solus clients, and of course the product will continue to grow and innovate, Phil is still here and managing that side of business

• Merged multiple threads

Thanked by 1serverboss
  • MSPNick said: Really? Hopefully more improvements!

I hope they'll finally implement more of the features we requested :)

• @Fusl said:

They have actually been doing really good lately

• @Fusl said:

Yup! But they have been doing a really good job recently; let's hope with OnApp they continue the work.

I was thinking about switching to virtualizer but now it looks like I will stay with SolusVM for a little longer.

• Virtualizor started to look better suddenly!

• ausaus Member
    edited September 2014

@serverian said:
    Virtualizor started to look better suddenly!

Yep. With the acquisition OnApp is just going upsell many products to Solus users.

• Even more of a reason for me to not use it.

Thanked by 1aus
  • Yes, min. 500$ monthly fee should come :)

• @fileMEDIA said:
    Yes, min. 500$ monthly fee should come :)

There are no plans for pricing changes. We've put together a list of FAQs that you can see here - http://onapp.com/solusvm/

• @OnApp_Terry said:
    There are no plans for pricing changes. We've put together a list of FAQs that you can see here - http://onapp.com/solusvm/

It says no immediate changes.

• This whole "deploy your VPS customers on someone else's cloud infrastructure" or "allow other unknown VPS providers to deploy their customers on your cloud infrastructure" sounds like a future nightmare for handling and preventing abuses.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    Will SolusVM pricing change?

We have no immediate plans to change pricing.

Am I the only one that read this as "LOL obviously we want to scalp everyone but will probably wait 6 months before we F everyone in the A" ?

Thanked by 3lbft RLT Infinity
  • OnApp_Terry said: There are no plans for pricing changes. We've put together a list of FAQs that you can see here - http://onapp.com/solusvm/

I prefer it, reduce the summer hosts :)

DalekOfSkaro said: I hope OnApp will adopt some of SolusVM Nice features, like ISO Mount and more *BSD

Talked a few times with OnApp, no plans to integrate it.

edited September 2014

@OnApp_Terry please confirm that immediate was a bad choice of words and guarantee the price structure will stay the same for all current legacy license holders please.

• Also @OnApp_Terry, which one is true? "Thousands of clients" like @ditlev said earlier here: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/697489/#Comment_697489 or 900+ clients like your FAQ says here: http://onapp.com/solusvm/

Thanked by 1ranaldlys
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    OnApp_Terry please confirm that immediate was a bad choice of words and guarantee the price structure will stay the same for all current legacy license holders please.

The price you have today you will be able to continue to have, there are no plans to change it and should anything "ever" change you will be able to continue to buy your licenses for the price now, but let me reiterate .. there are no plans for change.

• @fileMEDIA said:
    Talked a few times with OnApp, no plans to integrate it.

What ISO mount ?, actually thats been on our roadmap for a long time

• NullMindNullMind Member
    edited September 2014

serverian said:
    Also @OnApp_Terry, which one is true? "Thousands of clients" like @ditlev said earlier here: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/697489/#Comment_697489 or 900+ clients like your FAQ says here: http://onapp.com/solusvm/

There are over 900 direct customers in OnApp, but that translates to over 2000 clouds and over 1k hosts (going trough partners, etc)

• NullMind said: What ISO mount ?, actually thats been on our roadmap for a long time

Well, that would nice, Carlos. Along with integrating with PowerDNS, maybe? The ISO mount will probably open the door to using many other operating systems with OnApp. It just needs to come sooner :-)

NullMind said: change you will be able to continue to buy your licenses for the price now

How about future licenses post price change if/when you change prices in 6 months.

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited September 2014

NullMind said: What ISO mount ?, actually thats been on our roadmap for a long time

Yes talked last year and this year with paul. Answer: Not ETA yet..