Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runing Mail Server on 256mb ram vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runing Mail Server on 256mb ram vps

I want to setup a mail server on a 256mb ram vps
and i would like to know which panel would work perfectly on it
also how to set it up

Comments

• You don't really need any panels to run a mail server.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    You don't really need any panels to run a mail server.

this. I've found postfix to be the best mailserver

• edited September 2014

I have postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, nginx and php running in < 128MB.

Edit : I wrote a guide on how to set it up. I'll find it and PM you.

Thanked by 2Blanoz Cikon
  • @enitan092 said:
    I want to setup a mail server on a 256mb ram vps
    and i would like to know which panel would work perfectly on it
    also how to set it up

Install virtualmin and just remove all the other packages like bind apache etc.

• @rajprakash said:

Could you be so kind to shoot it into my PM box aswell?

• @rajprakash said:
    I wrote a guide on how to set it up. I'll find it and PM you.

Also send that to me :)

• souensouen Member
    edited September 2014

@rajprakash said: Edit : I wrote a guide on how to set it up. I'll find it and PM you.

I'd be interested in the guide. May I please get a copy as well?

• If you can do without spam filtering and webmail then 64mb is plenty!

• @rajprakash said:

Can you send me the guide too! xD

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Mailserver works on 64MB KVM, 128MB and 128MB KVM without any MB of SWAP

Just put a webserver on it for Postfixadmin with Postfix and Dovecot and a Databaser server.

• This isn't mine, I'll find mine later tonight. But it's a goodie from the "other" forum.

https://vpsboard.com/topic/1506-running-your-own-mail-server/

• @rajprakash said:

pm also

• @rajprakash

could ya pm me also? :3

• @rajprakash - might as well post the link here to avoid any further "PM me this".

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Install ISPconfig. They have great tutorials on how to do it step by step even from a formatted physical pc, tutorials for over 30 flavors of Linux and with extremely different configs (mysql/mariadb/postgre, dovecot/courier/ apache/nginx/lighttp etc).

It is not a "panel" as software itself that include web server, mail server and database (it does not run as a daemon) but an interface for all the components on your installation (controls the installation and configuration that you chose) and only consumes a few MB every 1 minute and less than 10MB when you use the interface.

So, you can install anything you want, no more, no less. Install it without bind, with nginx instead of apache and with mail server.

Use roundcube as web interface and do not use clamav (alone it want at least 512MB to run, extremely painful to install it to 256MB). If you don't use clamav (and spamassassign), you can run mail server even in 96MB (128 recommended). Just use as gateway free services as mailgun (10.000 free mails per month) or mandrill (12.000 free mails per month) and you will be filtering incoming spam and outgoing reputation for deliverability.

Suggestion: Follow this

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-wheezy-nginx-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p3

From chapter 7 (update debian).

Don't install "Amavisd-new, SpamAssassin, And Clamav", don't install and use mailman if you don't really need it, don't install PureFTPd, Jailkit, BIND DNS Server and Quota, do not install SquirrelMail but find a tutorial on how to install roundcube or aftermail lite instead.

Thanked by 2enitan092 aglodek
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

yup or you can install kloxo or vestacp

and use it as mail server after disabling the not-needed stuff...

• agentmishra said: and use it as mail server after disabling the not-needed stuff...

Do not use kloxo, it is a security hole. Kloxo-mr is more secure, but it had it's problems, too.

As ov Vestacp, it need at least 512MB to work properly, in 256 MB (If you manage to install it correctly) you may face a lot of stability problems.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2014

Ah, something last: most panels (virtualmin, vestacp, kloxo-mr, sentora etc.) do custom configs in the mail servers they install with (not ispconfig because you install all the components manually). So, if you want to do tweaks or connect mail server with third party extensions / services, you have to do a lot of work to make function properly.

• @rajprakash said: I have postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, nginx and php running in < 128MB.

PM me too or publish link here pls...

@enitan092: I have above minus spamassassin plus virtualmin as CP running in < 160MB. MySQL, BIND, FTP etc all turned off. Been running 4 domains with a few mailboxes each on this setup without any hiccups for a year now. Very easy to set up following @mpkossen's tutorial on LEB with a few tweaks.

• @jvnadr: Can you provide more info on mailgun and mandrill and how it can be configured? Is it simple? I have 512MB OVZ VPS. Is there any guide?

• What mail server are you running? Is it based on a control panel or installed by hand?

Those 2 are some good tutorials to start with

http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/introduction-to-mailgun-email-automation

http://documentation.mailgun.com/quickstart-sending.html

edited October 2014

I also works with a 64MB KVM with postfix/dovecot and postfixadmin.

• I always used to follow this tutorial when installing postfix + dovecot. It also shows how to integrate SquirrelMail!

http://www.unixmen.com/setup-local-mail-server-using-postfix-dovecot-squirrelmail-opensuse-13-x/

• is this the famous @mpkossen's tutorial on LEB Mail Server ?

have heard its mention several time but not everyone gives a link to it. Please confirm.

By the way, nice discussion... will watch this thread.

• @rajprakash said:

Can you pm me as well?

Or better yet, maybe upload it somewhere so you don't have to pm every single user? :)
    I can provide hosting for it if you need it.

• @mehargags said: is this the famous mpkossen's tutorial on LEB Mail Server ?

Yes, this is it ;)

• This is an awesome guide for setting up a mail server on a 128-256MB LEB. http://www.wlanboy.com/tutorial/mailserver

• @rajprakash PM me your tutorial please..