Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mysql-server installation problem!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mysql-server installation problem!

I'm trying to install mysql-server on my linux vps, But It just won't work.

Everytime I try to install it i get:

Errors were encountered while processing:
mysql-server-5.5
mysql-server

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I've also tried with mariadb (version 10), Note that I've tried and get this on the following operating systems: Ubuntu Server 12.04, 14.04 ( both 32 & 64 bit ), Debian Server 6 & 7.

Looking up this problem online, I get that it's a bug, but none of the solutions I've tried had worked this far. If anyone here have had the same problem and have a solution that works, I would appreciate the help.

I don't know If it's the vps itself that have a problem, but I do run a 1GB vps, as I've been able to install mysql-server on previous 1GB vps's I don't think this is the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Zombie

Comments

• Hire a sysadmin.

Thanked by 1Profforg
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

What does your error.log say?
    What dist are you running?

Have you tried update the repos?

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited September 2014

if your os template is minimal, it usually fixes by applying the following command

apt-get dist-upgrade

in my case, every ramnode 128 vps fails to install mysql-server-5.5 with their debian minimal templates. the error message was same, but when I dug it I found that the process failed because "logger" command was not available.

happened in other les boxes too, and in most cases it was fixed by "apt-get dist-upgrade"

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited September 2014

GoodHosting said: Hire a sysadmin.

desperate to be hired?

• update and upgrade apt-get and you should be golden, may need to force a install/update however if it failed.

• @ironhide said:

Actually, yes. Albino Geek Services Ltd. does have consultation services such as Systems Administration, and Helpdesk support ; as well as being for hire for programming jobs and site cleanups, it's something we've been hired for in the past for migrations and other long tedious repetitive tasks.

As per this particular issue, it's a one command fix, but chances are there are more things that the @OP may ask in the coming few days on LowEndTalk (as many do, when they start posting threads like this. No offense to this particular @OP , but the last few days on LET have been a bit of a flurry of "I just got a VPS and I don't know how to use it." style posts.)

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • @GoodHosting said:
    "I just got a VPS and I don't know how to use it."

Yeah I have seen a rise in tickets for this too.

• apt-get remove --purge mysql-server*

then install this

https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=coreix

• GoodHosting said: "I just got a VPS and I don't know how to use it."

well his name explains it all. he is a zombie, and he is certified in it's category. so he will come up with more dumb questions for sure :P

• @GoodHosting said:
    No offense to this particular OP , but the last few days on LET have been a bit of a flurry of "I just got a VPS and I don't know how to use it." style posts.)

Probably because an unmanaged VPS is now cheaper than most shared hosting plans

• @hostnoob said:
    Probably because an unmanaged VPS is now cheaper than most shared hosting plans

Due to it being unmanaged ;)

• Correct the solution to this is apt-get dist-upgrade. Seems like it's just a funky problem with the templates.

• I've tried to force install as well as doing, apt-get update & upgrade, haven't tried the dist-upgrade so will give it a try.

GoodHosting said: Hire a sysadmin.

>

I was hoping not to need a sys admin for a single dev server, I kindly asked you guys for a solution, after looking at several other forums such as ubuntus own forum, without any success.

ironhide said: well his name explains it all. he is a zombie, and he is certified in it's category. so he will come up with more dumb questions for sure :P

Hopefully It won't come to that, but you never now ;) As for your other comment I will try doing that and hopefully It will all work out, might just be the template If I'm lucky.

hostnoob said: Probably because an unmanaged VPS is now cheaper than most shared hosting plans

Thats the sole reason, yes.

@hostnoob said:
    apt-get remove --purge mysql-server*

then install this

https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=coreix

After testing all things, like update and upgrade as well as trying different versions of both ubuntu and debian, I tried mariadb, but as It is a fork, It seems like the bug is still there. But thanks, will look into it further.

• After doing an apt-get dist-upgrade it installs a few things.
    I remove mysql-server and tries to install it anew, but with no success.

But the error has changed slightly to:

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.5_5.5.38-0+wheezy1_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

• @CertifiedZombie said:
    After testing all things, like update and upgrade as well as trying different versions of both ubuntu and debian, I tried mariadb, but as It is a fork, It seems like the bug is still there. But thanks, will look into it further.

I've had issues installing MySQL on some boxes before, but MariaDB always worked.

• hostnoob said: I've had issues installing MySQL on some boxes before, but MariaDB always worked.

Yeah well I was looking around for an alternative to mysql and mariadb came to my mind, as it is a fork and all it would also be mostly compatible with all my code.

But If you look at the original post, I get the same problem / error but with mariadb instead of mysql, so apparently It won't work for me... I haven't tested all the maria versions, but will give it a try and post if it works, but with all my previous problems, the chance is the problem will still be there.

• CertifiedZombie said: But If you look at the original post, I get the same problem / error but with mariadb instead of mysql, so apparently It won't work for me

oh sorry I didn't see that before. I can't help since MariaDB worked for me, and it only happened on one image from one provider.

• I've verified on a new VPS that apt-get dist-upgrade installs it. You may be best rebuilding, running apt-get dist-upgrade first and then installing. If not then try sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a

• edited September 2014

@definedcode said:
    I've verified on a new VPS that apt-get dist-upgrade installs it. You may be best rebuilding, running apt-get dist-upgrade first and then installing. If not then try sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a

I will redo it all from scratch and follow all the steps, cheers :)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2014

GoodHosting said: As per this particular issue, it's a one command fix, but chances are there are more things that the @OP may ask in the coming few days on LowEndTalk (as many do, when they start posting threads like this. No offense to this particular @OP , but the last few days on LET have been a bit of a flurry of "I just got a VPS and I don't know how to use it." style posts.)

I disagree on posting comments as "hire a sysdamin" to someone that clearly is a newbie and/or trying to learn how to use a vps. "Hire a sysadmin" is for companies/individuals that are willing to start a business or/and use hosting for business purposes.

Despite that, I agree with you that there are more and more posts by newbies here that are do not know even the basics and, instead of searching in Google or reading/viewing tutorials, are trying to make this community to become a giant help desk for more-simple-of-that-problem-is-just-not-exists.

So, I suggest LET/LEB admins to think of adding a new site or sub-site with tutorial for newbies on how to use a low end vps and maybe asking there for help in issues as that. It will be also an opportunity for providers to gain more popularity and clients, if they are targeting to people that are willing to learn about vps/dedi hosting administrating.

Thanked by 1arpanjot
  • To add I am very new to both linux and managing my own server, But It's not by far my intention to come with questions just because I'm to lazy to find it on my own.

But with my lack of linux experience, It might not always be the easiest to understand the errors and issues that occure.

Mentioned earlier I was looking at other forums before asking here, but with no success.
    I hope from the darkest corner of my heart that all we newbies will try more before asking how to even to the most basic of stuff.

And..... Isn't the help section the best place for us newbies to get help from you all knowing guys? :p

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jvnadr said:
    So, I suggest LET/LEB admins to think of adding a new site or sub-site with tutorial for newbies on how to use a low end vps and maybe asking there for help in issues as that. It will be also an opportunity for providers to gain more popularity and clients, if they are targeting to people that are willing to learn about vps/dedi hosting administrating.

There are a multitude of sites out there (where I have one), let me know what you need to know and I'll try to write something that would help out.

• With an fresh install of Debian 7 64-bit, running apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgradeand lastly apt-get install mysql-server.

I got mysql up and running successfully, hope this can be to help for others that happen to get this error / problem in the future.

Thanks @definedcode

Thanked by 1definedcode
  • MikHo said: There are a multitude of sites out there (where I have one), let me know what you need to know and I'll try to write something that would help out.

Thanks. I don't want anything, just agree with @GoodHosting that this forum cannot be turned to a help desk for "chapter 1 lesson" issues of linux administration. BTW, I have used occasionally your site and I should say that I appreciate your (and, of course, even more Anthony's) work on LES!

• I see nothing at all wrong with people asking for help with admin tasks. It's a lot more constructive than some of the threads here.

And if the knowledgeable hosts took a minute here and there to answer a question, it might mean fewer newbie questions in your helpdesk....

If you're a newbie admin and are put off by the newbie-unfriendliness here, head over to http://www.linuxquestions.org -- the "Linux Server" category is a good place to be.

• @sleddog said:
    I see nothing at all wrong with people asking for help with admin tasks. It's a lot more constructive than some of the threads here.

Agreed. I'd rather read these than 20 pages about a grass-colored value host.

• @JustAMacUser said:
    Agreed. I'd rather read these than 20 pages about a grass-colored value host.

What about my hat? Why don't we talk instead about a grass hat?

• Installing mysql on debian is sometime a PITA. One of the reason why I choose CentOS now

• @GoodHosting said:
    What about my hat? Why don't we talk instead about a grass hat?

Sure. Still a much better conversation than what I was implying. Although I personally do not wear hats, grass or otherwise,

• @JustAMacUser said:
    Sure. Still a much better conversation than what I was implying. Although I personally do not wear hats, grass or otherwise,

That's a right shame. A nice fellow in Cuba made me this hat out of palm leaves. wove it right in front of our family when we were on vacation; then went ape-shit on some coconuts for us too. So we took the guy to lunch with us.