Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 different services on 1 VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2 different services on 1 VPS

kovacsakkovacsak Member
edited September 2014 in Help

Is it possible to run 2 different services, like VestaCP and OwnCloud on 1 VPS?

Comments

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

Yes but it isn't advisable running 2 services where the purpose is the same. You can run into some very nasty problems.

• @MeanServers said:
    Yes but it isn't advisable running 2 services where the purpose is the same. You can run into some very nasty problems.

What can you advice, like which 2 services can I run without problems?

What are you trying to accomplish exactly? Some services you can obviously run together, i.e. a web server, an email server, a database server, etc. As long as you are running services that do not accomplish the same thing, there will not be an issue. However, if you are running two control panels that essentially do the same thing, better get another VPS and split the two.

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited September 2014

@MeanServers said:
    What are you trying to accomplish exactly? Some services you can obviously run together, i.e. a web server, an email server, a database server, etc. As long as you are running services that do not accomplish the same thing, there will not be an issue. However, if you are running two control panels that essentially do the same thing, better get another VPS and split the two.

Do you know what is ownCloud? It has nothing to do with VestaCP.

• Imagine using a server for more than one thing!?

• @linuxthefish said:
    Imagine using a server for more than one thing!?

I wonder how insane could be the one thinking that.

albertdb said: Do you know what is ownCloud? It has nothing to do with VestaCP.

Which is why I tried to keep it as general as possible. I was wrong, I concede.

• Yes, VestaCP can totally coexist with OwnCloud. VestaCP is a hosting & VPS control Panel where OwnCloud is a service that uses these services (php/web server/mail server).

It might not work if you're going to do this on a VPS from @MeanServers though...