Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the best infrastructure for you for a fast loading website?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the best infrastructure for you for a fast loading website?

So I'm looking forward to building a more advanced infrastructure for our websites then a VPS or dedicated server. I'd be hiring some network professionals for the setup but I need some suggestions as to what the ideal setup would in your opinion and your experience.

A major concern being faster loading wordpress websites. I've been looking into load balancing, cloud and stuff like that, but that's all prebuilt services like rackspace and softlayer which I've heard aren't "the best you could get for the price they charge"

Here in LET, I'm sure people do have better ideas and setups. The first simplest setup that comes to my mind is load balancer (on a dedi perhaps) and multiple VPS containing the same data. Might not be the best way out but that's what I though. Opinions?
Another thing would be, that is it worth it? Even if it could make the websites 20% faster and much more stable at the same time, it really would be worth it.

Comments

• wychwych Member

Optimise your DB and cache the hell out of the wordpress install and it will fly!

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Nothing is going to beat a cache solution or at least a nginx in front of apache. Oh, and go for SSDs.

• wych said: Optimise your DB and cache the hell out of the wordpress install and it will fly!

Already cached it, modified various plugins too so that extra useless code doesn't load, its fast but I am sure enhancing the infrastructure can make it even better. Faster speed would directly affect the sales.

• Blanoz said: nginx

That had gotten off my mind, thanks!

• wychwych Member

Well I had expected it all to be behind nginx etc.

• wych said: Well I had expected it all to be behind nginx etc.

Foolish of me, yes.

• edanedan Member

You can try to put your website temporary file on RAM disk, example your MySQL temporary files.

Thanked by 1srvrpro
  • tomsfarmtomsfarm Member
    edited August 2014

You could try Varnish in front of nginx normally this helps increase the Performance even further, I know this due to past experience with clients who are mostly concerned about their load times. we have done various different modifications to see what makes them the most happiest. and it seems that Varnish helps with that.

• @clamhost : Varnish + Wordpress caching plugins, sounds like a good combo.

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
  • tomsfarmtomsfarm Member
    edited August 2014

@srvrpro said:
    clamhost : Varnish + Wordpress caching plugins, sounds like a good combo.

Let me know if you want any assistance on a good configuration. I was tuning a configuration for a client a few weeks ago. and he seemed to like what it did for his site. Especially on pingdom :)

So just hit me up in PM and I'll send you the configuration. it would be Varnish + Nginx + Wordpress cache ?

Thanked by 2srvrpro joshin
  • Check out EasyEngine - https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/

It's a shell script for setting up optimized WP installs on Debian or Ubuntu. Nginx/PHP-FPM/MySQL/Memcached + 3 or 4 caching options/setups - auto WP install, db creation, etc. It's pretty awesome.

• edanedan Member

@edan said:
    You can try to put your website temporary file on RAM disk, example your MySQL temporary files.

Or using TMPFS than serve the cached page using it, good reading.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • khavkhav Member

Ditch apache completely

Try Nginx + PHP-FPM + ZendOpcache + Varnish .As others have said go for SSDs

• wychwych Member

@khav said:
    Ditch apache completely

Apache isn't all as bad what people make out.

• @wych said:

Its fly , if you give enought memory for it. :)

Yes.. its not bad. Memory eater.

• You can easily and very cheaply make your WordPress fly, just choose a decent VPS provider and jimmy rig a CDN by using CloudFlare on a subdomain that only serves static files.
    Throw all of your static files onto there, including your WordPress theme's CSS/JS. It might take a little time to modify your theme to make this work, but it's totally worth it.

Don't load too many plugins. Try and keep it below 5 if you can.

Cache everything you possibly can. I personally loved using this method with redis due to it's drop and go simplicity.

If you have any questions with scaling WordPress though, let me know :)

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited August 2014

@wych said:

^^This. And custom .htaccess rules that may not be easy to replicate on other webservers.

@srvrpro, if it is non-trivial to swap to a different webserver and you want to "roll your own" solution:

• Optimize code/plugins
    • PHP accelerator
    • Check RAM usage and add more RAM/Caching (Varnish)/other optimization if indicated
    • Multi-master MySQL Replication (allowing numerous copies running in different geographies that can run independently in the event that the replication ring is broken by a server outage)
    • Load-balancer OR GeoDNS such as Rage4 (@gbshouse) for load balancing, failover, high availability. Technically, Rage4 doesn't do "load balancing" but if you have enough webservers running in different geographies, it becomes de facto load balancing as your user traffic gets split up amongst the servers; this, of course, is dependent on where your user base is though

Cheers

EDIT: BTW, the replication doesn't have to be too complicated as you can start with just 2 instances and expand it as your needs/traffic grow. Eventually, you can have some instances that you have "hidden" as hot spares that you only expose to external traffic in case of disaster/emergency.

Thanked by 1srvrpro
  • Varnish - and cache everything (even the blog pages). Varnish 4.0 allows for lazy cache updating and SSL acceleration.

Thanked by 1srvrpro
  • khav said: Try Nginx + PHP-FPM + ZendOpcache + Varnish .As others have said go for SSDs

On a popular website nginx & PHP5-FPM will crap out quicker than apache2 & mod_php.

If you have enough RAM both in parallel is a good solution.

• alexhalexh Member
    edited August 2014

AThomasHowe said: On a popular website nginx & PHP5-FPM will crap out quicker than apache2 & mod_php.

I'm not entirely sure about this. Aside from DSO being only marginally faster than FastCGI, it lacks many configuration options. I think even using Apache, PHP-FPM may be the best option now. PHP-FPM can also be used in a cluster easily as OP mentioned.

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited August 2014

Even on older hardware, if optimized it works well. This is running on a 512MB VPS, with two cores on a Xeon 5140. This blitz.io is testing WP with 4 plugins, on Nginx, php-fpm, APC, Memcache, MySQL and Varnish on a single server. If anything were to start falling over from load, a second VPS with just web data can be added to Varnish, and set it to talk to the main VPS for the Database.

This rush generated 55,769 successful hits in 60 seconds and we transferred 365.46 MB of
    data in and out of your app. 
    The average hit rate of 929.48/second translates to about 80,307,360 hits/day.

The average response time was 57 ms. 

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • said: A major concern being faster loading wordpress websites.

Nginx fast-cgi cache. Serve Wordpress as static HTML. Problem solved.

• The best infrastructure for the fast website loading time is hosting your websites at the local network of all the people over the world. But now being serious, there is no "best infrastructure"

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
  • Why not use cloudflare? Even their free version speed up the load time quite a bit.

• No matter what combination you choose, you got to include varnish in somewhere.

• ytalk said: Why not use cloudflare? Even their free version speed up the load time quite a bit.

cloudflare = more downtime

Thanked by 2Profforg k0nsl
  • namhuy said: cloudflare = more downtime

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
  • BradBrad Member

@namhuy said:

How so?

• ytalkytalk Member
    edited August 2014

@Brad said:

@namhuy said:

How so?

Yeah, how so? It actually eliminates downtime, seeing as they have load balancers, so the downtime would depend on your actual host.

Plus, when your host is down, CloudFlare can serve a cached version of most pages on your site.

Thanked by 1tr1cky