Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS with >= 1TB HDD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS with >= 1TB HDD

Hi there,

since Vultr is not offering any storage upgrade for their KVMs, I am looking for some decent mountable storage.
Cloud solutions do not seem to fit my needs, e.g. Google Drive (cheap, but no Linux client, fuse mount way to slow), Hubic (very cheap, but also too slow), Amazon S3 (too expensive).
So what I am looking for is the following:

• >= 1 TB HDD, maybe upgradable to up to 10 TB
  • Should be possible to mount it as regular drive on headless Linux
  • Good transfer speeds from/to NL (>=10 MB/s would be enough)
  • Traffic >= 1 TB
  • As cheap as possible, but reliable!

I do not really need a extra VPS for the storage, but it seems it would be the most convenient method fitting my needs. The VPS would be doing literally nothing, except serving the file system to the other VPS.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• wychwych Member

Do you need a VPS? You could get a cheap dedi with a 1TB HDD?

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

VPSDime? @serverian

• How about a dedi with kimsufi? I currently use a 2TB server for backup. Do not go with ByteOnSite even they might have 1TB for 6-7 usd. It is waste of money.

• KVM 1TB $14/month

• dedi with large disk more reasonable prices IMO.

btw need more than 0.5 year, from my home connection for up/download 1TB data.

• I'm using Backupsy (NL) as my main storage for backups and OwnCloud server. I can only say positive things about this server. It has been stable for quite a while and the transfer speed is excelent. I think it is safe to state that it is one of the most reliable (low cost) choices.

I use Cloud Shards (Dallas) as secondary storage. I'm only using it since March, but it has been very reliable up to now. Obviously, the network latency between the EU and Dallas is high, but for backups I don't care too much.

I think ByteOnSite (Chicago) has the cheapest offer for storage. They did have a severe disk/raid failure recently with data loss as a result. I've got the impression they are still recovering from that. I'm still looking forward to see them improve, but - for the time being - I don't count them as a reliable storage space.

As sugested above, I'm also using a Kimsufi Dedi in Roubaix. Network speed is execelent. That Dedi hosts quite a lot of my data, and hapilly streams music and video to me and the rest of the family. But since I risk loosing all of my data in case of a hardware failure, I don't count this as a reliable storage place either.

• I wouldn't bother with Backupsy, go with VPSDime instead. Run by the same people but for some reason it's much cheaper.

• @hostnoob said:
    I wouldn't bother with Backupsy, go with VPSDime instead. Run by the same people but for some reason it's much cheaper.

Well, it's OVZ vs KVM. Of course, this doesn:t mean you can't oversell. No offence to @serverian

• Thanks for all the good suggestions.
    Since it is only used to be mounted by another VPS, not much processing power / RAM is needed.
    VPSDime has very nice offers, I will look into that. OpenVZ would be sufficient.
    Backupsy is also very nice, but I do not really need KVM, so why paying more? Assuming VPSDime is equal reliable.
    Most Dedis are a bit overkill, since I do not need much RAM/CPU (Kimsufi 16 GB RAM with 2 TB storage). A low end dedi with high storage would suffice.
    Connection to CloudShared servers is unfortunately not good enough (~4 MB/s to my VPS).

• I might have a few dedi box's that you might like. PM me and I could send you over a test IP.

• wychwych Member

KVM allows you to encrypt your data on said VPS. Some people prefer this and I would think that's why backupsy has it but not VPS dime.

• What about using EncFS on mounting device?

@wych said:
    KVM allows you to encrypt your data on said VPS. Some people prefer this and I would think that's why backupsy has it but not VPS dime.

• @tehdartherer said:
    Connection to CloudShared servers is unfortunately not good enough (~4 MB/s to my VPS).

Right now, I get about 8MB/s with CloudShared and 26MB/s with Backupsy.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

we always have storage specials from our xenstorage brands.

Here is 1TB special on xen platform for 15 usd

https://drserver.net/drbill/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=131

• @drserver said:
    we always have storage specials from our xenstorage brands.

Here is 1TB special on xen platform for 15 usd

https://drserver.net/drbill/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=131

In which country and DC is this plan available?

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

@Amitz said: In which country and DC is this plan available?

Chicago - USA - Equinix DC

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Thanks - any plans to do this in the EU one day? :-)

• @tehdartherer said:
    Thanks for all the good suggestions.
    Since it is only used to be mounted by another VPS, not much processing power / RAM is needed.
    VPSDime has very nice offers, I will look into that. OpenVZ would be sufficient.
    Backupsy is also very nice, but I do not really need KVM, so why paying more? Assuming VPSDime is equal reliable.
    Most Dedis are a bit overkill, since I do not need much RAM/CPU (Kimsufi 16 GB RAM with 2 TB storage). A low end dedi with high storage would suffice.

If you can get your hands on one the Kimsufi KS-2 comes with a 1TB or 2TB drive (it says 1 on the website but most people have been getting 2TB drives lately) for 9.99 EUR.

• wiffel said: I use Cloud Shards (Dallas) as secondary storage. I'm only using it since March, but it has been very reliable up to now. Obviously, the network latency between the EU and Dallas is high, but for backups I don't care too much.

And anyone else, if there are any performance issues over network, please PM me or raise a ticket and we'll take a look. No promises.

• Kimsufi KS-2 is really a nice offer, if I would get 2 TB it would be perfect.
    Unfortunately they do not offer any storage upgrades, thus it is limited in this case.

@Dylan said:

• The upgrade is to buy another one ;)

• @tehdartherer said:
    Kimsufi KS-2 is really a nice offer, if I would get 2 TB it would be perfect.
    Unfortunately they do not offer any storage upgrades, thus it is limited in this case.

In fact KS-2 will be delivered with 2TB for new orders. The problem is that you need to monitor when the stock is available :-)

• wiffelwiffel Member
    edited August 2014

@concerto49 said:
    ... if there are any performance issues over network ...

No network issues for me ...

@tehdartherer asked for NL locations. And Naaldwijk in NL (Backupsy) is obviously closer than Dallas (Cloud Shards). I'm less then 10 ping/milliseconds away from Naaldwijk. For Dallas, I'll have to add another 100 ping/milliseconds, just for crossing the ocean.

@tehdartherer suggested (s)he wants to mount the storage. In that case the latency will count. It will also play a role when using something like scp or rsync, since these programs tend to create a lot off ping-pong messages between the client and the server.

As already mentioned, my storage server at Cloud Shards has been very reliable and network access pretty decent. No problems with that at all.