Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for reliable low-cost yearly VPS that has latest/greatest Linux OS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for reliable low-cost yearly VPS that has latest/greatest Linux OS

I would like to keep the yearly cost to $50-ish. I plan to host an SMF forum and website and maybe run a Mumble server on it (10 users max). I would like for this server to be USA and the closer to Canada, the better.

I am also interested to know what kind of specs I should be looking for with my above requirements RAM / CPU wise. I do believe bandwidth and connection speed are more important with regards to Mumble.

Comments

• Sounds like you want this

• KihiKihi Member
    edited August 2014

Albit we are a new company (and I attest to that), we are running our 100% our own hardware and located in Kitchener, Ontario.

To be honest, if you're running Mumble, the requirements are quite low ram-wise & connection-speed. So have a look at a few other providers here as well who offer low-spec VPS hosting.

Personally, we have CentOS7 as well as Ubuntu 14.04 in terms of latest Linux distributions. So if you decide to go that route, simply (in Ubuntu).

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mumble/release

>

sudo apt-get update

>

sudo apt-get install mumble

To get Mumble up and running.

Otherwise, have a look around LET for a few other VPS' to compare.

If you do decide to go with us, I'll be more than glad to enable your account for API key access so you can always check what's happening with your VPS directly from your phone.

~Kihi

• DBADBA Member

The RamNode link shows OpenVZ plans to start with which won't support "latest/greatest Linux OS". The KVM plans will however and aren't much more expensive.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited August 2014

Rallias said: Sounds like you want this

The 512MB SVZ should work nicely. $5/m or just over budget at $54/yearly.

RAM (dedicated/burst): 512 / 256 MB
    CPU: 2 x vCPU
    Disk Space: 50 GB
    Bandwidth: 2000 GB
    1 IPv4, 1 /64 IPv6

You can do some ping/download tests from your home connection to see which location is best for Canada.

• DBA said: The RamNode link shows OpenVZ plans to start with which won't support "latest/greatest Linux OS". The KVM plans will however and aren't much more expensive.

Why wont it? For a small mumble server and forum OpenVZ is fine... Unless you're saying they have outdated OS templates or something you're talking out your ass. Don't try and confuse new members with your bias.

• What OS are you looking for? 99% of VPS providers have the latest stable versions of Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS. Ramnode also has Fedora, Scientific and SUSE (and some others)

you can then make them the "latest" by running apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (and whatever the CentOS alternative is) and even upgrade them to a testing/non-stable if you want.

"Based on data from out testserver, murmur will use about 40 MB of virtual memory, of which about 4 MB are resident in physical memory."

A 256MB plan will do for Mumble and SMF (running on lighttpd)

• DBADBA Member
    edited August 2014

AThomasHowe said: Why wont it? For a small mumble server and forum OpenVZ is fine.

Never said it wasn't.

AThomasHowe said: Unless you're saying they have outdated OS templates or something

OpenVZ support and templates tend to lag behind the "latest and greatest" in regards to Linux and even if that isn't needed for what the poster currently plans to use the VPS for it was one of the things requested. Likely won't be able to learn nftables in an OpenVZ container for a while yet for example.

As for the rest of your post, please lose the attitude.

• Thanks guys (and gals). I may consider Ramnode but will wait for other comments. Going to sleep here now so will check for additional recommendations in the morning. Th!anks again!

• CrabCrab Member

Ramnode and VPSDime

• So I take it Ramnode and VPSDime are the best providers recommended in the community? I will say that I am biased towards KVM if possible.

• @zerodamage said:
    I would like to keep the yearly cost to $50-ish. I plan to host an SMF forum and website and maybe run a Mumble server on it (10 users max). I would like for this server to be USA and the closer to Canada, the better.

I am also interested to know what kind of specs I should be looking for with my above requirements RAM / CPU wise. I do believe bandwidth and connection speed are more important with regards to Mumble.

How about these plans for you?

LET SPecial

60GB HDD space

2048MB ram

2048vSwap

2vCores

1 IPv4 IP
    £4/mo

Order now -- >

All plans come with a 1GB/s connection.

Let me know.

• Hey,

Currently i only have KVM in stock , and i could offer you this location,

New York ,
    2 GB Ram

Multi Core CPU @ 3.3 ghz

300 GB BW / Month

1 GBPS Network

40 GB HDD

$50 / Year

• how about in Canada itself? @mycustomhosting

• Hey,
    we currently have OpenVZ in stock and located in Canada which is better :)
    I could do for $49.99/year
    2GB RAM
    2 core @ 3.6GHz
    UNMETERED 1Gbps bandwidth
    50GB Hard Disk