Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easiest way to do full OpenVZ container migration without access to node?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Easiest way to do full OpenVZ container migration without access to node?

This has been discussed a million times, and people always recommend the same old manual approach of using "rsync" to copy all files and configuration from one VPS to another.

I am looking for a more robust/automated approach similar to the Proxmox dump/restore. I think it would be valuable if providers allowed users to dump/restore their OpenVZ containers, but as this is not the case (and unlikely to ever be) has there been any innovation in this space?

Comments

• @elwebmaster said:
    This has been discussed a million times, and people always recommend the same old manual approach of using "rsync" to copy all files and configuration from one VPS to another.

I am looking for a more robust/automated approach similar to the Proxmox dump/restore. I think it would be valuable if providers allowed users to dump/restore their OpenVZ containers, but as this is not the case (and unlikely to ever be) has there been any innovation in this space?

Open a Support Ticket to your provider and ask if they will provide a backup of your server, if you don't want to do it yourself. Mind you, all they're going to do is "tar -cjf backup.tbz /vz/private/###/"; the same thing you could do with rsync.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

vzdump?

• elwebmasterelwebmaster Member
    edited August 2014

@shovenose said:
    vzdump?

Yeah, that's what I want but from within the VPS.

• @GoodHosting said:
    Open a Support Ticket to your provider and ask if they will provide a backup of your server, if you don't want to do it yourself. Mind you, all they're going to do is "tar -cjf backup.tbz /vz/private/###/"; the same thing you could do with rsync.

Is this what vzdump does underneath?

I found this article promising: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Full_system_backup_with_rsync

But I can't believe nobody has created a script for doing this on VPS specifically.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2014

Previously, in such scenarios, I used rsync. Although it is something you "do not want", people recommend it like you say :-)

It is a single, simple command - which can be tuned to your liking (in terms of exclusions)

rsync -e 'ssh -p 22' -azPx --delete-after --exclude-from="/root/exclude.txt" / [email protected]:/

You can read more about it at http://articles.slicehost.com/2011/2/4/migrating-a-linux-server-from-the-command-line-running-the-sync

Good luck :-)

• elwebmaster said: Is this what vzdump does underneath?

Pretty much. vzdump can do a live dump by doing trickery, but it gives you a tarball just the same.