Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Debian vs Ubuntu Discussion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another Debian vs Ubuntu Discussion

Since ubuntu 12.04LTS was released it has been my goto server of of choice. Its been good to me, and I good to it.. With the advent of 14.04 i migrated all my servers to that but had to almost immediately revert back to 12.04 due to things just seeming 'slower' and there were those weird one off bugs... shudders

I recently moved to Debian 7 as it is currently more updated that ubuntu 12.04 and I love that i can get almost everything I need from the dotdeb repository instead of grabbing this and that from here and there...

So.. to all you debian/ubuntu people.. which are you using? and why? Also.. what do you think of the upcoming Debian 8 Jessie and/or the current Ubuntu 14.04

Comments

• I don't get it why people use a bloat- and malware Linux distribution like Ubuntu based on Debian?

If you really want that thing get the real Debian not something that is based on it and is used as bloat- and malware like Ubuntu. Debian is the real thing. As far as I heard Jessie will be really different (systemd??? and other stuff).

IMHO

• ronaldgrnronaldgrn Member
    edited August 2014

@SandwichBagGhost said:
    I don't get it why people use a bloat- and malware Linux distribution like Ubuntu based on Debian?

If you really want that thing get the real Debian not something that is based on it and is used as bloat- and malware like Ubuntu. Debian is the real thing. As far as I heard Jessie will be really different (systemd??? and other stuff).

IMHO

I liked ubuntu because it had all those extra little goodies built in that made a huge difference..... like the coloration when I type ls, or automatically having syntax highlighting in vim.. I get I can do those things myself by editing my bashrc and whatnot but... it made me feel at home

• lool so boring those endless discussions.

any advanced user will realize the real difference between overkillbuntu and debian in some hours/days.

• perfomance, stablity, compatibility

well thats all for servers. on desktop pc thats a whole different story

• @infected said:
    lool so boring those endless discussions.

any advanced user will realize the real difference between overkillbuntu and debian in some hours/days.

• perfomance, stablity, compatibility

well thats all for servers. on desktop pc thats a whole different story

performance? on my end it seems like ubuntu 12.04 and debian 7 has pretty much the same performance.... (used UnixBench, loadimpact and the ever so controversial ab)

• i'm actually about perfomance when actually doing something. benchmarks can be one thing.
    like a more complex samba server with ftp server etc. and you will quickly see how bad bloatbuntu can handle that

• hmmm... I can't argue there because at work we are using a drbd based fileserver running debian and its never so much as broke a sweat

• I always go with Debian, no reason for me to use Ubuntu instead.

• infectedinfected Member
    edited August 2014

@ronaldgrn said:
    hmmm... I can't argue there because at work we are using a drbd based fileserver running debian and its never so much as broke a sweat

see, debian is just stable and thats everything you need. in my company i've setup several servers for our workers to do required stuff and some of them are up since ages while doing heavy tasks every day.

edit: there rest are more the *experimental **mad dev servers*

• Debian for all my leb's, of course, because it's consume less memory

• Ubuntu because of the guaranteed long term support (5 years, versus the 3 in Debian), the community (Ask Ubuntu, Ubuntu Forms, etc.), and the PPA's (can't find something, just upload the source for a native Ubuntu build). Economic support by a company allows Ubuntu preferred treatment (secure boot signing, community build servers, etc.).

netrix said: Debian for all my leb's, of course, because it's consume less memory

What does Ubuntu run that Debian doesn't? The same packages are install. Ubuntu server can run under 10MB using OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • MunMun Member

Ubuntu / Xubuntu for desktops, it is the way to go. Debian desktop is lacking...

Debian for servers, it is rock solid and I have more then a few servers with 100+ days uptime and little to no issues.

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited August 2014

server: redhat, centos, debian

desktop: fedora, ubuntu

yes ubuntu comes w extra repos n extra packages, but you can get them for debian as well. i would rather choose stability rather than convenience for servers

• @Silvenga brought up a good point... in a business environment doesn't ubuntu's predictability and longer support term make it the 'safer' choice?

• @Silvenga said:
    Ubuntu because of the guaranteed long term support (5 years, versus the 3 in Debian).

What does Ubuntu run that Debian doesn't?

Unless you are using something really old fashioned, or you will be killed when you want something new.

tl;dr, Debian can upgrade.

I've tried upgrading from squeeze to wheezy, and wheezy to jessie beta, and it just works. How about Ubuntu? Did anyone manage to upgrade ubuntu without blowing it up?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2014

@ronaldgrn said:
    Silvenga brought up a good point... in a business environment doesn't ubuntu's predictability and longer support term make it the 'safer' choice?

Yeah, those are the main reasons big players like Wikimedia have been switching to Ubuntu LTS. In comparison to Canonical's organized and timely updates, Debian stable's slow and unpredictable release cycle is a nightmare for large organizations. The Debian Project's leaders have been saying they have a big problem for a while now.

• msg7086 said: How about Ubuntu? Did anyone manage to upgrade ubuntu without blowing it up?

Haven't needed to upgrade personally (still have a couple of years of support). Although I know many who have upgraded using the official upgrade path have done so without issues.

The largest issue is the upgrade of Apache in 14.04 for many people. Apache breaks from 2.2 to 2.4. I see Wheezy still uses Apache 2.2. I wonder how the upgrade will go from Debian 7 to 8.

Some are saying Debian is more stable than Ubuntu, therefore better. While others say Debian is better because it gets newer packages before Ubuntu. The two cannot coexist.

With Ubuntu, LTS is best for business who need a stable environment that won't break custom packages. The non-LTS releases are best for consumer users and those who want up-to-date packages.

• I love both and use both.
    Debian 7 x64 on my servers for the stripped/plain working distro that i can customize without any little addon that i don't need, and ubuntu on my desktop where I experiment and need to able to do anything, so the pre-installed bonuses of ubuntu are coming in handy.
    and because they are on the same base, when I acheive something on ubuntu, i can replicate it on debian and vice versa! i love this duality ^^ linux is about choice, just go for whatever you think is the best for you, and if it reveals itself not that good than you can change. Linux FTW

• i use debian for servers and ubuntu for desktop

• Debian 6 remains my choice - it's not bloated and uses very little ram memory.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Debian for servers. I even started out using Ubuntu, but when I took a look at Debian, I haven't gone back since.

• Debian.

I use it, because it win at all aspects compared to Ubuntu and other Debian-based systems.

Some Ubunters said, that Ubuntu have long-term support - well, they're right, but do you really want to stay on old system, when you have new? For example when i have Debian 6 on a few hundreds of servers, i've just tested and understood, that it works really fine with Debian 7, so i'm just did upgrade to Debian 7 and this way servers are living for years now, they are stable and rock solid.
    Ubunters, who like long-term, must understand, that such "support" is fake. It's just some weak security updates. They are slow. They are not guaranteed to be here. They are partial. They can break whole system.
    Debian also support their previous stable versions for years. Look, they extend support for Squeeze (6) to 5 years, just the same as Ubuntu LTS. https://www.debian.org/News/2014/20140424

Some other things i like in Debian:

1. Very easy upgrade to new versions. Just change /etc/apt/sources.list a little, do aptitude dist-upgrade - and you are here.

2. Rock-solid stability while staying up-to-date on all components. Do you know, that Debian have Linux Kernel 3.14 on their Wheezy release? Do you know any other Linux systems who's have 3.14 kernel into stable release nowadays?
      And, it's 100% stable by default (this is how it should be!!!!), but you can always use 'backports' repository to be top-notch and be 99% stable :)

3. Dotdeb. Without DotDeb repository Debian is not fine for web. I think, that people should start to make more repositories for Debian. You know, there are so much Debian users, and such repositories usually compatible with Ubuntu. Why just don't do it, if you able?

4. Native. I just like, that Debian is a clean system. It's like DOS, it's very little, simple and kawaii (sorry, i don't know how to translate word "кавайная" from Russian into English).

5. aptitude - really the guy who made it is awesone. Apt have mistakes, which make Apt (or apt-get, if to be correct) is not good to be used. But aptitude fixes apt mistakes.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited September 2014

Profforg said: Do you know, that Debian have Linux Kernel 3.14 on their Wheezy release?

There's a reason for that, last benchmark I saw was that 3.13 out performed 3.14.

Profforg said: is not good to be used. But aptitude fixes apt mistakes.

There are levels to the Apt systems. Aptitude is the abstraction or the user friendly wrapper for apt-get. Apt-get wasn't designed for an end user, although most of us still use apt-get to be closer to the system.

Profforg said: Very easy upgrade to new versions. Just change /etc/apt/sources.list a little, do aptitude dist-upgrade - and you are here.

Ubuntu users use do-release-upgrade and we're done. I've been upgrading servers lately and haven't had any issues.

Profforg said: Ubunters, who like long-term, must understand, that such "support" is fake. It's just some weak security updates.

How do you define weak security updates? That doesn't even mean anything. Security fixes are support. New features are not support. Canonical has an economic reason to provide security updates for the long term. Debian doesn't have such a motive. Ubuntu will receive security fixes, and will not be forced to upgrade instead.

What security update for a LTS release broke standardized packages? I doubt there are any.

Profforg said: but do you really want to stay on old system, when you have new

It is so annoying to build packages for Debian 7. I always seem to miss a modern version of libc6. Debian 7 uses 2.13. I can't upgrade it either because so many packages depend on it. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (older than Debian 7) uses 2.15.

Profforg said: Native. I just like, that Debian is a clean system.

It is a clean - just like Ubuntu server net install.

EDIT: Ubuntu also has over $10 million in funds to maintain the LTS releases incase Canonical dies off.

• I prefer Ubuntu to Debian because I get newer packages on a predictable schedule.

• Ubuntu 14.04 minimal where apache 2.4 is needed. It works great and haven't had any problems. And it doesn't drain your RAM, ffs. Learn to properly configure your servers.

Debian 7 for production. I'm too lazy to compile 2.4 on Wheezy.