Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS: Never again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS: Never again

I needed a VPN for me and my roommates, and ChicagoVPS seemed a perfect fit - cheap prices for decent specs in good locations. I ordered my service. Normally, when you buy a VPS, it is immediately provisioned automatically. This did not happen with ChicagoVPS. I did not get an e-mail confirming my order or anything. I assumed that they needed to verify my order, so I waited a few hours. My WHMCS control panel showed an IP address which was down. When I clicked the boot button, it said “system booted successfully”. Upon refreshing the page, the system was down again. After a number of hours, I filed a ticket. That was yesterday, today the server is still not up, I can't access VNC and it won't boot and I can't reinstall the OS.

Contents of the ticket. Pretty funny.

I should've known that ChicagoVPS wasn't going to come through, I've literally never heard a positive review of the company. You live and you learn.

Thanked by 2Faizi darkshire

Comments

• They're ok for the price you pay. Giving them < 24 hours starting on friday night to fix a technical issue before requesting for a refund seems unreasonable to me.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • @zach_ said:
    I've literally never heard a positive review of the company. You live and you learn.

So why did you ordered from them in first place ?

• @FredQc said:

I figured they couldn't be that bad. > @black said:

They're ok for the price you pay. Giving them < 24 hours starting on friday night to fix a technical issue before requesting for a refund seems unreasonable to me.

I agree, but if you read the ticket, he actually told me that the service was up and accessible when it was not. There's no reason for him to lie.

• I waited 4 days for a reply from CVPS, usually. Just saying.

• @zach_

You've never heard of a positive review? Let me give you one.

I've got a nice server with them. It's a 2GB OVZ with 50GB HDD and 3TB BW. It costs me $39 per year.

I figured I needed some more RAM, so I asked to be bumped up to 4GB. It was quickly done and now the VPS costs me $60 or so per year. A pretty good deal if you ask me.

Node is situated in Buffalo, which is near where I live.

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 2400.075 MHz Total amount of ram : 4096 MB Total amount of swap : 2048 MB System uptime : 9 days, 3:17, Download speed from CacheFly: 67.3MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 38.6MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 37.2MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.96MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 13.2MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 32.6MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.37MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 21.8MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 14.1MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 78.8MB/s I/O speed : 117 MB/s

Benchmark. Uptime is not high because I rebooted for a purge.

Tickets are answered extremely quickly. My RAM upgrade was complete in one day, from when I first inquired, to when the RAM was boosted.

P.S.
    I can connect to your IP fine, (198.46.148.192), although I obviously don't have a root login.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Honestly, I am not joking, I would fire someone if they worked for me and answered tickets like that, no if's no buts, just gone.

I get mistakes happen however if that was the way tickets were being answered I would have also lost the will to continue and 24 hours is generous for an infrastructure related problem.

literally zero effort and complete incompetence and if that support guys real first name is James I will eat my hat.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Can we have a few screenshots of the actual ticket?

Although it's not exactly 'spamhouse', at least there were quick replies and he was helpful.

• I am not sure but you can wait. Possible they don't service during weekends.

• @zombiekiller753 said:
    Can we have a few screenshots of the actual ticket?

Although it's not exactly 'spamhouse', at least there were quick replies and he was helpful.

Sure, here: https://i.imgur.com/dkdcQdi.png

• @zombiekiller753 said:
    P.S.
    I can connect to your IP fine, (198.46.148.192), although I obviously don't have a root login.

Check out the screenshot I posted, I didn't have the same experience as you, unfortunately.

That IP is up, but it's not the IP address from the ticket as you can see in the above screenshot. Also my virtual server is not up. That IP shows CentOS, which is not the OS I ordered. When I try to install Debian from WHMCS, it tells me my virtual server is not found.

• @zombiekiller753 said:
    Can we have a few screenshots of the actual ticket?

Gmail does not use Spamhaus, and I wish them luck de-listing your IP, with the current issue between ColoCrossing, and said SBL.

• @zach_ said:
    I agree, but if you read the ticket, he actually told me that the service was up and accessible when it was not. There's no reason for him to lie.

They don't usually look at the container itself. They generally make sure the node you're on is online and at most they try to ping it. They're not going to put in the IP via HTTP (because not all servers run web servers) or try to connect to your server via SSH (because you might not run ssh on the default port or even have it enabled). You can't honestly think they can just lie and tell you "nope it's up" without you doing anything else.

• Sending mail directly from php (using mail()) will almost never work, blacklist or not. Just use the mail pear package and a clean relay.

Thanked by 1eddynetweb
  • joereid said: Just use the mail pear package and a clean relay.

Or use Mandrill or MailGun.

• Same animal, different color

• And while I'm here, I have a 512mb KVM in NJ with CVPS that has been great. Sure they had a disk failure back in July, but no other problems. I renewed for another year a few weeks ago.

• Is it in NJ? My VPS drops pings all the time, so your box will be online, but it will appear offline if it's not on the network at the time.

• This isn't a thread about my emailing issues :P

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2014

@zach You joined this community only today, just to bash a provider that didn't deliver you a vps in less than a day? All your activity is one visit, one post and two answers to readers? It is sad when someone joins LET or WHT just to make a revenge to a provider that couldn't meet his expectations. And it's fishy, at least IMHO.

said: I should've known that ChicagoVPS wasn't going to come through, I've literally never heard a positive review of the company.

So, where did you find the offers from CVPS? Did you search for them? Did you see all the reviews in LET, WHT or VPSB? How did you find LET? Before or after you ordered from CVPS?

Yes, their support failed to be professional because they used typical responses at start. But:

1. A provider didn't deliver a vps instantly. You initially send them 3 on-a-row- support threads. You say that you never received an email from them (did you check if you did a mistake entering the email details, or the email did in your spam folder?)

2. Staff member says to you that the vps is online but there is a problem on the server that they are know that and willing to resolve it soon.

3. Then, you again send another three threads in a row (!) that the ip in the ticket is different from client area. What ip in the ticket? ChicagoVPS has no solus access. The only access is on your client area where you control the vps. When there is a problem, vps show as unavailable.

4. He asks you if he should setup a new server for you. (I assume that he ask that because if, sometime in past hours, you could access the vps, maybe you already put some stuff in). You don't answer that and you just answer to setup the server you ordered.

5. He again ask you about the new setup, informing that any possible data you may be having there will be lost. You threaten him with a chargeback in less than 24 hours from your initial order, without even open a ticket to billing dpt. to ask for a refund! THEN, you answer to his original question, saying that your vps were never accessible.

Sure, the way staff member handled the situation was not professional. he could put some more effort to resolve the issue. If you pay peanuts for gigs of memory and disk, you cannot wait the company has the ultimate support.

Of course, if the problem continue, you should ask first for a refund from them and, then, if they refuse it and don't deliver the vps, you should do a chargeback and inform this community.

Thanked by 2eddynetweb orak
  • @zombiekiller753 said:
    This isn't a thread about my emailing issues :P

Oh, I know. I have a tendency to derail threads sometimes.

• @jvnadr said:
    zach You joined this community only today, just to bash a provider that didn't deliver you a vps in less than a day? All your activity is one visit, one post and two answers to readers? It is sad when someone joins LET or WHT just to make a revenge to a provider that couldn't meet his expectations. And it's fishy, at least IMHO.

Of course, if the problem continue, you should ask first for a refund from them and, then, if they refuse it and don't deliver the vps, you should do a chargeback and inform this community.

jvnadr, I've been part of the LEB/LET community on freenode for many years under a different name, and part of the WHT forum community for even longer than that. This isn't "revenge", this is an honest account of my experience with ChicagoVPS so far. I even posted a screenshot.

I never received an e-mail. Not in my junk mail. I did provide the correct e-mail address on registration. I agree that I was a little rash in some of my responses, I've been spoiled by Hostigation, RamNode and other companies with solid support and services for a low price.

• Update, I just got a ticket response saying that they have fixed it and sent me my details. It seems that they've ignored the fact that I haven't received any e-mails from them at all because Outlook.com seems to either block CVPS e-mails or their mail server is broken. They're trying.

• @black said:
    They don't usually look at the container itself. They generally make sure the node you're on is online and at most they try to ping it. They're not going to put in the IP via HTTP (because not all servers run web servers) or try to connect to your server via SSH (because you might not run ssh on the default port or even have it enabled). You can't honestly think they can just lie and tell you "nope it's up" without you doing anything else.

That's what seems to have happened here. Neither the IP in the ticket nor the IP in WHMCS was accessible via any means (HTTP, SSH, or ping) at the time of that writing. What I think happened is James pinged the domain I provided for the account, which would point to RamNode until I can get this VPS working.

@hostnoob said:
    Is it in NJ? My VPS drops pings all the time, so your box will be online, but it will appear offline if it's not on the network at the time.

ATL

• Another update: "We have corrected your issue and sent you vps login details. We are able to access your vps with given details."

I was unable to access my VPS with the details they sent me. Video proof:

• first of all, chicagovps may be fine for playing around with a cheap unreliable box, but why the hell would you leave Ramnode for cvps?

second of all, did you change the password to something like password1 in their control panel (when it's actually working, which is like 20% of the time)?

• video proof ;). btw since the ip is pingable, reset root password from client area and rest the case.

• Thank their recent acquisitions for the "improvement" in response times

• @hostnoob said:
    first of all, chicagovps may be fine for playing around with a cheap unreliable box, but why the hell would you leave Ramnode for cvps?

second of all, did you change the password to something like password1 in their control panel (when it's actually working, which is like 20% of the time)?

I'm not leaving RamNode for CVPS, I wanted a node to run a VPN on in addition to my RamNode node. I'm quite happy with my existing RamNode service.

Thanks for the idea, I'll try that. Here's the result:

• zach_zach_ Member
    edited August 2014

@upfreak said:
    video proof ;). btw since the ip is pingable, reset root password from client area and rest the case.

If only it were that simple!

• zach_zach_ Member
    edited August 2014

@ub3rstar said:
    Thank their recent acquisitions for the "improvement" in response times

I love waiting 4 hours for a useless response in broken English.

/s