Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

tune nginx/php5-fpm/mysql for LowEndBox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

tune nginx/php5-fpm/mysql for LowEndBox

sandozsandoz Veteran

does anyone have some good configs for a lowendbox from buyvm? I tried o change some settings, but my php5-fpm is using too much memory. Constantly using swap, so my wordpress site is loading slow..

Comments

• Google. Find out how to edit the ram usage and number of threads of php-fpm and also edit the mysql config. There's lots of tutorials around for these. If all else fails, buy more ram.

• If you are using myisam as storage engine,

vim /etc/mysql/conf.d/leb.cnf

[mysqld]
    skip-innodb
    default-storage-engine = myisam

If your site is small,

vim /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/www.conf

pm = static
    pm.max_children = 2

• i tried other my.cnf configs, but when i load them, my wordpress site cannot find the database anymore for some reason?

• `
    [client]
    port = 3306
    socket = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

[mysqld_safe]
    nice = 0

[mysqld]
    user = mysql
    pid-file = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
    port = 3306
    basedir = /usr
    datadir = /var/lib/mysql
    tmpdir = /tmp
    lc-messages-dir = /usr/share/mysql
    skip-external-locking
    bind-address = 127.0.0.1

default-storage-engine = myisam

key_buffer = 1M
    query_cache_size = 1M
    query_cache_limit = 128k
    max_connections=25
    thread_cache=1
    skip-innodb
    query_cache_min_res_unit=0
    tmp_table_size = 1M
    max_heap_table_size = 1M
    table_cache=256
    concurrent_insert=2
    max_allowed_packet = 1M
    sort_buffer_size = 64K
    read_buffer_size = 256K
    read_rnd_buffer_size = 256K
    net_buffer_length = 2K
    thread_stack = 64K
    expire_logs_days = 10
    max_binlog_size = 100M
    [mysqldump]
    quick
    quote-names
    max_allowed_packet = 16M
    [mysql]
    [isamchk]
    key_buffer = 16M

`

this is the new one i tried. I used tuxlite to setup the vps
    When i change the mycnf to the above, wordpress starts with the default install

• said: does anyone have some good configs for a lowendbox from buyvm? I tried o change some settings, but my php5-fpm is using too much memory. Constantly using swap, so my wordpress site is loading slow..

The amount of memory used by PHP is determined by the app (Wordpress) and the number of simultaneous visitors.

You might look at your Wordpress config (plugins) for something that is abusing memory.

• BayuBayu Member

I have wordpress site on my dedicated server. Using nginx, php-fpm, mysql, apc, & memcached. With 3000+ uv per hour only use ~ 2 GB of 16 GB memory.

Server spec maybe seems overkill, but previously while still using the DO vps, the cpu load is too high. Wordpress is cpu hogging when faced with many concurrent request

So basically you might look at your active plugins for something that using to much memory.

• LexLex Member

Also you might be intersted in using CloudFlare and WP Super Cache plugin for wordpress :) That should speed up your website and save on the resources.

• KihiKihi Member

May be a stupid question, but have you thought of using a Turnkey Linux distribution?

There's one already configured with nginx, php5-fpm and mysql already configured. A simple apt-get update & upgrade and you'd be up-to-date and running within minutes.

• @Kihi said:
    May be a stupid question, but have you thought of using a Turnkey Linux distribution?

There's one already configured with nginx, php5-fpm and mysql already configured. A simple apt-get update & upgrade and you'd be up-to-date and running within minutes.

OP want to tune for LEB, not just deploying.

Anyway, I have active WP website which have more than 1,000 concurrent visitors at certain time. Its in 256MB box. I set it up few years ago using this as basic guide. The trick with WP is to always minimize php & sql call.

• this is the new one i tried. I used tuxlite to setup the vps
    When i change the mycnf to the above, wordpress starts with the default install

anyone know why this happens?

• Anyone have a nice nginx/php5-fpm installer for debian?

• @linuxthefish

Yes, it's called dotdeb repo.

• @sandoz said:

I'm going to guess it happens because you're changing datadir.

• MunMun Member

Do you having caching like quickcache installed on your wordpress installs?

• throw varnish into your mix for some really impressive improvements. @bigcat already linked one of the best guides out there for supercharging wordpress.

• WoopWoop Member

datarealm said: throw varnish into your mix for some really impressive improvements. @bigcat already linked one of the best guides out there for supercharging wordpress.

This, Varnish will by far make the biggest difference. Even when you setup a cache plugin in WP, and tune nginx etc, it will still hog your CPU.

Make sure you disable WP-cron as that will completely kill your server once you get heaps of traffic: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/wordpress/disabling-the-wp-cronphp-in-wordpress

You can get varnish to run on a fairly low ram VPS (I have it running on 512mb DO VPS with a site that gets about 500 uniques a day).

• i don't see any difference in the config regarding datadir
    Other applications that use mysql still work