Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the most important aspect of your ideal VPS configuration?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the most important aspect of your ideal VPS configuration?

Assuming the infrastructure is 100% (Network/power/etc). What is most important to you?

VPS Specifications
  1. Which spec is most important to you?132 votes
    1. Storage Space
      17.42%
    2. RAM
      15.15%
    3. Price
      43.18%
    4. CPU Performance
      13.64%
    5. I/O Performance
      10.61%

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@DaveA Would you consider adding flexible resources to that list?

For clarity I mean the ability to upgrade one of those elements CPU/Disk/Ram/IO Priority etc without having to upgrade everything.

Thanked by 3ucxo Makenai Floris
  • I went with price. I don't mean paying peanuts to unreliable hosts (unless it's a backup or torrenting box or something), but why pay £20/mo or something for reliable hosting when I can get it with EDIS for £5. Why pay £5/mo for high storage when you can get it with Ramnode for £10/yr

• orakorak Member

I dont really understand what you'd need heaps of HDD space for other than backups?

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited August 2014

Obiovius it is the price

Here how i think

Price (whether its worth it)

Cpu ( how powerful the server/comp is)

Ram (how many programs you can keep open)

Disk IO (how fast your server is)

Storage (how much you can store either filehost or seedbox or a extra drive)

Network (the main point of servers)

All are a joint link needed to be called a server

Which spec is most important to you?
    Dedicated resouces

• @orak said:
    I dont really understand what you'd need heaps of HDD space for other than backups?

Storing crap such as screenshots/videos/downloads, my www folder is 136gb :)

• support

• said: Assuming the infrastructure is 100% (Network/power/etc).

That's a big assumption. If you can deliver it, then the obvious choice (for me) is price.

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • @orak said:

Attachments for a 10 years forum.

Thanked by 2orak linuxthefish
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited August 2014

@orak said:

I do some graphic design in my spare time, and I'd just like to say that working with other designers on something(and giving customers their order) requires exchanging lossless imagery which can add up quite quickly to many gigabytes.

@DaveA Is HDD addon space currently being considered? Would be neat to have the main OS and such be on an SSD and larger stuff on some cheap HDD(NFS?) storage. Or otherwise are anymore storage server locations being considered? NJ is nice and all, but more options for that would be cool.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish msg7086
  • M66BM66B Veteran
    1. Deliver what was promised
    2. Stability (resources, uptime)
    3. Support if anything went wrong (fast, to the point)
    4. Price
  • Uptime, stability & decent enough performance(80+MB/s Disk I/O) are most important things for me.

• orakorak Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Storing crap such as screenshots/videos/downloads, my www folder is 136gb :)

Holy cow yea it kinda makes sense now I read all them posts.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • network, used to be price but now I will pay an arm and a leg for stable connection.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Price has to be the most important aspect, because you can have everything else at A price.

• Price + nice features (something like backup service, free ip, etc.).

• Clearly the network and reliability.

• Price and Network realibility

• Off-topic: the poll result chart kind of look like a finger at the time of reply.

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • Price and reliability.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Honestly I don't understand this poll, you can't value one of these above another. For example, if the I/O and CPU performance are complete shit, or the price is too high, then you're obviously not going to get the VM. So, like, what do these options even mean?

• sleddog said: said: Assuming the infrastructure is 100% (Network/power/etc).
    That's a big assumption. If you can deliver it, then the obvious choice (for me) is price.

I have plans that promote 4, 5, 10TB of bandwidth.. but you'd be lucky to push 20mbps, on a good day, for 10 minutes. Network reliability is a HUGE factor for me, and breathing room on the network. If you say gigabit speeds, I'd like to be able to burst up to 100mbps once in awhile.

• Low latency, whatever the hardware resource. Price.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited August 2014
    • A provider that respects Privacy (i.e., no photocopy of credit card CVV2 or other PCI in-scope data, or of personal bills)
    • A provider that doesn't have (ridiculous to me) terms in their ToS or AUP - yes, I read them
    • A provider that doesn't limit ports
    • A provider that doesn't charge VAT to non-EU customers
    • Business, and Network, stability and uptime (but not to the exclusion of "new" providers or one-man-bands)
    • Virtualization type
    • Interesting (to me) location
    • Reputation (Good reviews from others, in particular regarding support, aptitude, attitude)
    • A provider that appears to be "taking care of business" when sh*t hits the fan (i.e. communication, updates, feedback); not posting about unrelated drivel in online forums
    • Price
    • Resources (RAM, Storage Space)
    • Performance (I/O Performance, CPU Performance)
    • (Depending on intended purpose) Clean IPs
  • @geekalot said:

• A provider that respects Privacy (i.e., no photocopy of credit card CVV2 or other PCI in-scope data, or of personal bills)
    • A provider that doesn't have (ridiculous to me) terms in their ToS or AUP - yes, I read them
    • A provider that doesn't limit ports
    • A provider that doesn't charge VAT to non-EU customers
    • Business, and Network, stability and uptime (but not to the exclusion of "new" providers or one-man-bands)
    • Virtualization type
    • Interesting (to me) location
    • Reputation (Good reviews from others, in particular regarding support, aptitude, attitude)
    • A provider that appears to be "taking care of business" when sh*t hits the fan (i.e. communication, updates, feedback); not posting about unrelated drivel in online forums
    • Price
    • Resources (RAM, Storage Space)
    • Performance (I/O Performance, CPU Performance)
    • (Depending on intended purpose) Clean IPs

Just wondering bro, how much do you willing to spend to get all of those criteria? Hehe

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited August 2014

@sirmbhe said:
    Just wondering bro, how much do you willing to spend to get all of those criteria? Hehe

There are quite a few LowEnd Providers (cost wise) that match a lot of the criteria; it is really about doing research and not doing impulse buying at every "offer."

Obviously, quite a bit of the criteria (for me) is simply vetting the provider .......... as well as cost & performance.

At one point I was up to about 30+ LEBs, and over time as I learned more and had a basis for comparison, I reduced the numbers, dropped the "zeroes" and kept the "heroes." (And added colo's :-)

And actually, in a lot of cases prices have decreased over the years; you just have to make sure the quality does not.

The key is not to be dependent on ANY one provider; when you spread the risk across various providers, you have more flexibility, opportunity, and time to be picky and find the right deals. And, to be willing to make the compromises that suit YOU.

• Price+network availability.

• Storage Space (y)
    i like VPS Vultr, deploy 3 VPS Storage :D

• Would love a little faster disk from Vultr. It about half of what I get from RamNode or Linode. Still, not bad, though.

• Bandwidth! Or more specific: Included transfer

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • cidero said: Bandwidth! Or more specific: Included transfer

On Gbit, too.