Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMBox 1 month review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMBox 1 month review

LexLex Member
edited August 2014 in Reviews

I bought a server with these guys from their latest offer and thought about doing a review about them :).

The server is located in Amsterdam, and has the specs from the offer.

Benchmark:(the average result from 3-5 runs)

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 2100.069 MHz Total amount of ram : 3072 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 14:58, Download speed from CacheFly: 82.8MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 17.1MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 17.8MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.75MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 95.6MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 99.9MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.05MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 14.2MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 12.8MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 24.2MB/s I/O speed : 196 MB/s

The bench was executed mid-day, around 14:00 GMT+2. And don't worry about that uptime, I'll explain it below.

Network:

Uptime: Since I got the server, the uptime was 100%*. No network problems, no tehnical problems, no problems at all !

*-the only "downtime" I had with them, had a length of 1 hour and 20 minutes, and I was announced 24h prior of it (reason: upgrading node&changing raid battery) and when I got the service suspended because I forgot to pay the invoice.

Support: I have opened 3 tickets with them, for various questions I had and/or payment problems. The initial response time was pretty quick, the fastest one was answered in 3 minutes, and the slowest one in 10 minutes. After the initial response, any of my following replies (if any) were answered in 1-30 minutes.
I'd say they have the fastest support I've seen with a company that I had services with. I don't know how fast they will handle a tehnical ticket, as I didn't have any problems with them so I could open a tehnical ticket.

I've read the comments from their latest offer, and there seems to be a fuss about their CPU usage policy+auto suspension. I've opened a ticket about it, it seems that your box get suspended if you use an average of .9 CPU for a period longer than 15 minutes.

But I didn't have absolutely any problem/incident with it. I hosted 3 wordpress blogs on the box + a minecraft server (spigot, 20 plugins, ~7 people) without any incident (I admit, I kept an eye on the CPU usage, and it was around ~0.7 tops)

Ratings:

Network: 9.5/10 (so far one of the best I've seen in a budget box)

I/O performance: 8/10 (75GB SSD-Cached for 6.5$ ~190MB/s I/O is more than decent)

Overall performance: 9/10

Thanked by 1StevenN

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

One month is hardly enough time for a review, come back in six at least..

• VMbox is one of the good providers I ever used.

Thanked by 1StevenN
  • LexLex Member
    edited August 2014

@ATHK said:
    One month is hardly enough time for a review, come back in six at least..

I agree with you, that's why I specified the time period I've spent with them.

Unfortunately I dropped my services with them and I cannot do a review in 6 months.

(the reason I dropped my services with them is that I don't have any use for the box anymore)

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the review, i'm glad to hear you're satisfied with our service. :)

Thanked by 1MorningIris