Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GRE tunnel -> How to show hops in traceroute?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GRE tunnel -> How to show hops in traceroute?

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
edited August 2014 in General

Hello, from a CentOS server in OVH I have routed a IPfailover to my Mikrotik in Madrid via GRE tunnel. I have assigned that IPfailover to a container in my Madrid infra. All seems is running ok, but when I do a traceroute to the IPfailover, it doesn't show the hop OVH -> Mikrotik. I think this is caused by the TTL. There are any way to show this hop? Thanks!

PS- I have do the same config, but instead from a CentOS -> Mikrotik, using a Mikrotik -> Mikrotik, and the hops are showed ok.

Comments

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Is there any way in CentOS to prevent TTL decrement when the forwarding is via GRE tunnel?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

From a networking point of view, the TTL decrements at each hop.

If there is a way to prevent it from decrementing, I am unsure - but I guess it is not wise to do so .. loops.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2014

You can modify the TTL with iptables, but it's a bad idea. You can easily kill your box and network this way if you are not extra careful.