Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

LEB Anonymous

LEB Anonymous

HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Member
edited June 2012 in General

Hello,

My name is HalfEatenPie. And I have a problem.

I own too many LEBs.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

why? impulse buying?

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• AdamAdam Member

One of us! One of us! Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble!

Thanked by 1Asim
  • blackblack Member

Before, I never understood why women buy so many pairs of shoes and rarely wear them. Now I understand, it's the same thing with LEBs for me.

Download and upload speedtest: wget dl.getipaddr.net/speedtest.sh -O- | bash || You can find my other useful scripts on GitHub. Free Proxy Detection || You can contact me on Twitter

Thanked by 4NanoG6 Andri Chan Raymii
  • Please finish your pie, before you order again ;)

NameSilo .com/net/org $1 LESS: NODADDY / SILODEAL
    For Sale : RootVM(com)+50u Gapps / VPSFreak(com)
    Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • I'm not an addict. I can cancel any time I want to. Really.

My Advice: : VPS Advice | My Blog: : raindog308.com
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

well you can use it when the need arise.

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• HalfEatenPie, did you get your dose of Linode yesterday? :-)

@raindog308 said: 'm not an addict. I can cancel any time I want to. Really.

Yes, we believe you. I think you need a new layer of backup for your backup of backups, don't you?

IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@prometeus said: Yes, we believe you. I think you need a new layer of backup for your backup of backups, don't you?

+1 he is not leb addict. he is backup addict.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • gianggiang Member

Same as me, just canceled few lebs :D I ordered just for dd, wget =)

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

what if your main backup got corrupted, and get copied to backup of backup? this is why im really considering using git as backup of backup. so that there is history, and i can get to a particular point in time and restore that backup.

• blackblack Member

But what if git gets corrupted?

Download and upload speedtest: wget dl.getipaddr.net/speedtest.sh -O- | bash || You can find my other useful scripts on GitHub. Free Proxy Detection || You can contact me on Twitter

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator
    edited June 2012

no... you have multiple backup of backups backing up your main backup. they should not be connected at all.

my problem if backup is not versioned and always latest copy, if latest is corrupted, and copied to all your backup of backup.... then everything is corrupt.

edit: btw, git knows when itself is corrupted.

• @jcaleb said: btw, git knows when itself is corrupted.

In theory, everything should know... I know better since it happened to have corrupted backups of backups. Fortunately, I could go back in time and restore files from older backups, but if it was a db or something... I dont want to think about it. And, no, replication wont work as corrupted DB will also replicate corrupted, the only way I can think of is (for example pg) pg_dumpall --clean > dateandtime every hour like a boss. I just made a cheap NAS with 4x2 TB drives in raid-z out of an old atom d525 MB with extra sata controller and I can throw at it lots of backups of the DBs. I think cheap multiple backups are better than an expensive but reliable one. M

top - 22:32:38 up 906 days, 2:58, 1 user, load average: 3.94, 5.13, 8.38

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited June 2012

@liam said: I can provide counselling for $7 per minute (per vps) to help you deal with this crisis.

This will definitely make me come clean as I will finish "pocket money" in a few minutes so LEBs will go unpayd. M

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@liam said: I can provide counselling for $7 per minute (per vps) to help you deal with this crisis.

vps shrink?

edited June 2012

Well, here in the east winters are cold and summers hot, work aplenty and pay low... I make 400 EURO a month. M

• vedranvedran Moderator

LEB addiction is not really that bad, it does not hurt your physical health and it won't hurt you much financially either as long as you keep it reasonable.

On the other hand, most datacenters are powered with non-renewable energy meaning you are causing some pollution, also you are speeding up IPv4 depletion.

All in all, it's not really a problem.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@vedran said: LEB addiction is not really that bad, it does not hurt your physical health and it won't hurt you much financially either as long as you keep it reasonable.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/79177#Comment_79177

• @Maounique 400 euro for a full day job?

IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
  • rds100rds100 Member

400 Euro for an IT job is too low even for Bulgaria, and i know salaries in Romania should be somewhat higher than in Bulgaria.

• Haha yup @jcaleb and now I have to add a few more to that list.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@HalfEatenPie maybe use your LEBs by reviewing each of them and post to community. either your own blog or let. So even if it has no use for you, it will have use for us.

• @jcaleb I'll look into that. I'm not really the best at reviewing but I can probably put something together.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@HalfEatenPie you could just write a script and output to html or something. automated.

• @prometeus said: 400 euro for a full day job?

Haha, I know it sounds unbelievable, but it depends where are you working, not on what. For me it is enough as it is not the only income, I only needed it for insurance and stuff, moving jobs on a market that discriminates on gender and color is not easy and I dont like changing workplace often. 11 years ago I was working in a bank and it was worse, work from 7-23 and still we were to blame... At least here I can set everything the way I like, nobody to say "do it like that" and "I told you so" when **** happens. **** didnt happen in a long time, also, even like this, on 17th expires my... hum, what you call the time you still have to work after you sent the note you quit ? I did that in 15th of May, i have to work still 45 working days, then I take a few months vacation. They tried to hire someone else since I told them I go and so far everyone wants double at least and the boss doesnt even consider seeing those ppl. He imagines he will find even cheaper because, you know, it is crisis time. I don't need his money, this is the advantage of working on really low end of pay, you can fire your boss anytime. I consider moving into canada, I have 2 houses to sell and many savings plus investments. Just age might be a problem. M

• Damn, my pay being an intern at a certain IT company during uni year was at least 2x of that. Check your labor law you might be exploited.

vpsdash.com - Tips and tricks in life, information and technology news to get things done

• @cosmicgate said: Damn, my pay being an intern at a certain IT company during uni year was at least 2x of that. Check your labor law you might be exploited.

In which country did you intern? Eastern Europe (and Romania in particular) has different prices for living (and therefor different wages) than e.g. the USA

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Eastern Europe (and Romania in particular) has different prices for living (and therefor different wages) than e.g. the USA

Hum, rent is 200+ in Bucharest for one decent room, food at minimum (if you cook) is about 150 (2 ppl making a lot of savings) Euro, utilities (without AC and heating) like 100 more. Last winter had in one month 200 Euro heating alone. Sure, in US is much more expensive, but we can compare to an average village there. A few examples of food (at hypermarket): Frozen chicken chest about 4 EURO a Kg, apples 1 Euro, Oranges 50 cents in season, one euro outside (like now), 1 Euro milk, also yoghurt per liter, 3 Euro plus cheese. Only the cheapest considered. Some things like bread are cheap, for example 1 Euro per Kg a regular loaf, the toast is 2 times that. Also eggs are 10 cents atm, but were double last winter and even more. Some prices are similar to hypermarket prices in EU countries like spain and italy. Fortunatelly, local producers are still delivering healthy and cheap food to the markets and in the summer you can buy at half price there, for example one kg of cucumbers is 20 cents or so right now, 3 times less than the hypermarket but in the winter there is no choice. Potatoes are also 20 cents there so you have a choice if you cook yourself and it is also much healthier as you know what is in there. My grandma died at 100 and her mother at 106, we dont really trust processed food. Hope you are not too bored :P I like sharing this kind of info with ppl around the world, this way you know better the countries and ppl very far away. M

Thanked by 2vedran Spirit
  • @HalfEatenPie said: Hello,

My name is HalfEatenPie. And I have a problem.

I own too many LEBs.

Some non US/UK readers may not get the joke. At Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, attendees will stand up and stereotypically say "Hello, my name is John, and I am an alcoholic." Well, at least they do in the movies - I've never been at an AA meeting :-)

• yomeroyomero Member

Or someone deleted my post again Or I am so lebaddict that I can't remember anymore :|

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Member
    edited June 2012

I haven't been to one either but I mean I am kind of a LEB addict right now.

• vedranvedran Moderator

@yomero said: Or someone deleted my post again Or I am so lebaddict that I can't remember anymore :|

You are a lebaddict and you can't remember anymore (I can't find any posts from you deleted today)

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator
    edited June 2012

@HalfEatenPie get some SSD LEBs bro. There are several offers already. You need it, trust me.

• @jcaleb if @GridVirt has a decent-priced SSD LEBs then I might go for one if its in the right price-range

• yomeroyomero Member

@vedran said: You are a lebaddict and you can't remember anymore (I can't find any posts from you deleted today)

OMFG My brain melted :S

Or the browser failed to POST... xD

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@HalfEatenPie prometeus and jhadley has some SSD's

• PhilPhil Member

@raindog308 said: Well, at least they do in the movies - I've never been at an AA meeting :-)

What about Backup Anonymous meetings ?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @Phil said: What about Backup Anonymous meetings ?

My name is raindog308, and I am a backupaholic.

It started with a rsync, but only on the weekends.

Then it became every night.

Then I'd run a quick backup in the morning, just to get me going. Then another backup before I went to bed. Sometimes I'd login during the day just to do a "little" backup.

Lately I've been fooling around with Tarsnap even though I know that once you start down that path, it's hard to turn back.

• I see how this started, ppl admitting they have a problem, then talking about a "fix" (the SSD stuff), then talking about another problem... Looks like an AA meeting gone wrong, like: -Hey, I am an alcoholic... -Me too... -Lets have a drink... -Yeah, well, I also do some crack...

A guy enters a phone booth and reads an add: "If you are an alcoholic, call this number:..." He does and it was a liquor store...

I mean talking about this on a leb board is like holding an AA meeting in a distillery... M

Thanked by 3Liam yomero NanoG6
  • KairusKairus Member

'Tis a joke Mao.

• Mine too... M

• netomxnetomx Member

@Maounique said: Frozen chicken chest about 4 EURO a Kg, apples 1 Euro, Oranges 50 cents in season, one euro outside (like now), 1 Euro milk, also yoghurt per liter, 3 Euro plus cheese. Only the cheapest considered. Some things like bread are cheap, for example 1 Euro per Kg a regular loaf, the toast is 2 times that. Also eggs are 10 cents atm, but were double last winter and even more.

that's why I love Mexico <3 good things, cheap =D

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
    edited June 2012

@netomx said: that's why I love Mexico <3 good things, cheap =D

You promised you will ignore me ? :P I would also like some examples of prices in Mexico, but some things cant compare. Here oranges dont grow, also agriculture means only a few months a year, plus extra costs with animals to store food and heat in the winter, etc. Heating should cost a lot less there but you spend more on AC... M

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@raindog308 do you backup of flash drive, external hardisk, cd, dvd, and tapes?

• You could always give them away

• netomxnetomx Member

@Maounique just when you get annoying :P

Well like an example, sometimed orage can get down to €0.2 a kilo ;D and gasoline is like €0.6 a liter

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • @jcaleb said: do you backup of flash drive, external hardisk, cd, dvd, and tapes?

No.

• flash drives are too small
    • hard drive really means running another server and they're too expensive electricity-wise.
    • CD/DVD is too big a pain for their small capacity.
    • there is no high-capacity, feasibly-priced home tape system, at least when I've looked

VPSes, shared hosting: 2 backup VPSes Customer stuff: same + Amazon S3 + one more backup service Home stuff: Dropbox, CrashPlan, Tarsnap

I do have a spare 300GB USB that I could mount up to my Tomato-USB router in order to have a local backup of things, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I would like to have more backups of stuff at home. CrashPlan has been very good but they could always go out of business. I wish I had more uplink at home...7mbps residential downlink DSL comes with only 1mbps uplink. I could get 200mbps downlink...but it's still only 1mbs uplink :-(

Back in the day, I did backup to encrypted hard drives which I'd lock in my desk at work...that was a pain and I am glad those days are gone.

edited June 2012

@netomx said: Well like an example, sometimed orage can get down to €0.2 a kilo ;D and gasoline is like €0.6 a liter

I was expecting that with oranges, also gasoline since you are non-eu and western hemisphere countries dont really care about pollution even like that. Here it is 1.4 Euro a liter. That doesnt stop traffic jams, I take a convoluted path with the subway/tube/metro however you call it and it takes less than 1/3 the time it takes by bus, even tho I have to exchange 2 of those and a short 2 stations by tram. Before the last line was finished I used to wake up at 5 AM to be at work at 6 to avoid traffic jam. Better stay at work than in traffic, in those hours I would do lots of things without the users calling every 10 minutes.

I think Romania is a great country to retire. Get a house here in the new suburbs, it is clean (since about 2 years) secure, cheap and organic if you know where to go. You can also hire someone to do the housekeeping, can do that for about 200 Euro for a full time job and about 100 for the basics (cleaning, cooking, groceries, bills) A house would not be so cheap as ppl expect, but you dont have to come in Bucharest, there are other towns where everything is even cheaper and the local producers closer, follow prince charles ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2065174/Prince-Charles-king--ROMANIA-revealing-related-Vlad-Impaler.html ) and go the Transylvania way. I am not joking, Romanian streets are very secure, for example in 2007 when the country joined EU we were going to celebrate the new year in the squares, about 700 k ppl were out in Bucharest that night, one London based friend told me I was mad and could get injured, nobody was injured apart from the regular fireworks maniacs. So, house about 50 K Euro a regular apartment in Bucharest, big house countryside with some serious land, modest upkeep including housemaid about 700 Euros private healthcare included for 2 ppl. Many romanians do just that, go work in western europe and retire here on those money. If they can do that in just about 5-10 years, everyone can do it. M

• netomxnetomx Member

@Maounique some US citizens retire in Mexico, too. Some places are nice, clean, cheap, and the people is good =)

• Perhaps, but the risk to be kidnapped here is about the same as getting killed by a meteorite. I have not heard of anyone being kidnapped for ransom, romanian or otherwise, tho occasionally westerners do die in the mountains or Germans at the Black Sea. 2500 m seem low, but the weather is really extreme there. A few beers and falling asleep in the sun at 30+ degrees on the Black Sea coast and you are gone without knowing it. I even resuscitated one a few years ago. Black Sea is not the the Baltic Sea, the sun is merciless in the middle of the summer. M