Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you doing with your XVMLabs VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are you doing with your XVMLabs VPS?

So like many, a while ago I bought a XVMLabs VPS with 4 IP's. It was, like a few other VPS's pretty much 100% an impulse buy. I've let it idle for a while due to other life demands, but today is slow, so I thought I would ask what other's are using theirs for. With only 100GB transfer, I can't use it for a VPN. I thought about setting up my own "shared hosting" for my own purposes ... but I already have shared hosting with BuyVM and a free account from @Jeffrey, so not much purpose there (with exception of learning, which is really a good enough reason).

What are you using yours for?

Comments

• Testing box.

• Monitoring stuff

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Serving small files

• proxy check slave nodes

• Fourth NS?

• My 512MB one is web crawling and acts as a backup relay/entry node for a mesh network.

My 1024MB one used to monitor my network, but after a day of almost constant packet loss it is now idling. Don't know what to do with it. It might become a Piwik server over the weekend.

• cassa said: Monitoring stuff

What program are you using? I'm assuming you mean something like UptimeRobot?

webcraft said: Fourth NS?

Thought about maybe experimenting with running my own NS. Wasn't sure what I would really use it for though instead of just using 8.8.8.8

netomx said: Serving small files
    XxNisseGamerxX said: Testing box.

Interesting. I was thinking of installing say OwnCloud or Pydio and messing around with them ...

Silvenga said: It might become a Piwik server over the weekend.

This sounds pretty cool as well.

This is why I love LET. 5 minutes after posting and tons of great ideas to try!!

• ACaton said: Thought about maybe experimenting with running my own NS. Wasn't sure what I would really use it for though instead of just using 8.8.8.8

You would if NS 1-3 went down. :P 8.8.8.8 would just talk with your name servers 1-4 and cache the response.

• ACaton said: What program are you using? I'm assuming you mean something like UptimeRobot?

Nope, self hosted. Observium, Smokeping and Munin

• @ACaton I'm glad you're enjoying your free shared hosting account! How's VestaCP treating you?

• Running observium

• Jeffrey said: How's VestaCP treating you?

Unfortunately, due to other work commitments, haven't had much time to use it yet. I will let you know!!

• cassa said: Nope, self hosted. Observium, Smokeping and Munin

sonontse said: Running observium

So this just gave me a bunch of cool ideas to check out. Thanks!!!

• Asia optimized VPN because they are in Quadranet LA.

• @Silvenga said:
    My 1024MB one used to monitor my network, but after a day of almost constant packet loss it is now idling. Don't know what to do with it. It might become a Piwik server over the weekend.

I don't monitor for any packet loss, however I do notice an increase in visitors and page view after I move my test websites from their 1024MB box to another provider.

• Can I running a website on XVM Labs VPS?

• sonicsonic Veteran

@manlivo said:
    Can I running a website on XVM Labs VPS?

why not?

• manlivomanlivo Member
    edited August 2014

@sonic said:
    why not?

I didn't find it in the previous comments. I have set up a web server. it's really good.

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited August 2014

Use it as personal VPN and personal Squid Cache Server.

• proxy farm~

• idling...

• Monitoring, running Observium.

• I use it for personal vpn, mirroring my website, and try out something interesting like control panels, cmses and so many other thing to make my time not wasted easily. In a short, it is my playground.

• tarasistarasis Member
    edited September 2014

Honestly, nothing yet. I keeping meaning to but have had other things on my hands for a while.

I'm glad I hadn't though given my server was re-installed 16 odd days ago.

-- Edit

Ah, so I now see that they had a node die and moved us and reinstalled the OS. Shame they hadn't put that in the original email they sent out.

• Webproxy :) works great