Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web.com silently charges for "Perfect Privacy" for many months?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web.com silently charges for "Perfect Privacy" for many months?

nhocconannhocconan Member
edited August 2014 in Providers

Hello,

Today when checking my credit card statement, I found there is a small charge ($1.95) from WEB.com for "POS PURCHASE" (not sure what it is). Trying to log in to their panel, I see there is a monthly invoice for "Perfect Privacy". It was weird, I have never purchased this service from them. This has been charged constantly from April. I have not been aware of this for many months since this is really a small amount ($1.95/m). I just want to ask:

• Does Web.com allow to charge for the service that I have never confirmed? I am pretty sure there is NO invoice / order regarding this (as I have searched my emails).

• I submitted a ticket request for refund but not sure if they accept. In case they refuse, can I fire a chargeback to the credit card company?

• Is there any of you have the same problem? Can you please share your experience on how to solve this?

• Added: I cannot remove my credit card information from their web panel. Is there anyone can help?

Thanks.

Comments

• said: In case they refuse, can I fire a chargeback to the credit card company?

Yes, and if you truly were not presented an option to decline the charge that's the best course of action.

The CC company will usually take your side.

• @ihatetonyy said:
    The CC company will usually take your side.

This is the action that I do not really want to do, maybe it will be the last option if they do not have a reasonable explanation. They did charge my credit card 3 times in the past but they explained all were pending and it is ok.

I have to say that I have very bad experience with Web.com :-(

• What do you use them for? Couldn't you transfer your services to another provider?

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • said: Added: I cannot remove my credit card information from their web panel. Is there anyone can help?

Ask your bank to refuse invoices from them. Some time ago i did that with Amazon. They tried to charge 500$ for air, they fail :)

Thanked by 2nhocconan ihatetonyy
  • @ihatetonyy said:
    What do you use them for? Couldn't you transfer your services to another provider?

I registered domain from them, but do not add any privacy information. I intend to transfer the domain to NameCheap / Namesilo / my own ResellerClub, but I need to remove my credit card information from their panel first.

• @Profforg said:
    Ask your bank to refuse invoices from them. Some time ago i did that with Amazon. They tried to charge 500$ for air, they fail :)

Thanks, I will ask to refuse any further charge from them, but I will also need to remove the credit card information from their website too I think :-)

• As recent answer, they did not allow me to cancel the service that I have never accept / order:
    "Thank you for contacting Technical Support about terminating your services. In order to cancel your account with us, please call and speak to a live agent of our Customer Care team. Customer Care can be reached at 1-800-338-1771 option 3, 2, 2, Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST. For security reasons, we cannot process a cancellation request via e-mail or ticket. International Customers may dial 011-1-404-260-2477 or 001-904-680-6600 We appreciate your business. Please let us know if we can assist you any further. "

It seems that the only option is calling my bank to remove authorization from the website.

I have no word to say about this :-(

• well, imo, stay away from http://web.com/ and https://www.networksolutions.com/

I couldn't cancel any service from them, couldn't change from auto renew to manual renew... (especially the exchange email AUTO comes with domain name, I even asked to cancel it and received refund for the first month, but the next month they continue to charge me). I used Paypal, so I remove them from Paypal subscription, and problem solved.

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • Profforg said: Ask your bank to refuse invoices from them. Some time ago i did that with Amazon. They tried to charge 500$ for air, they fail :)

That't not failing, for Amazon that's called not caring. :P

nhocconan said: It seems that the only option is calling my bank to remove authorization from the website.

I would raise a complaint, try to discourage holding financial data hostage.

c1bl said: they continue to charge me

PayPal just sends money if a subscription is enabled. As you said the subscription was still valid so Paypal just sent the money, the company doesn't have control over that.

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • @Silvenga I asked to cancel the service, and it's canceled, they sent me the refund, and then continue to charge me? Why it's Paypal problem? Why customers have to log in to Paypal and disable the subscription manually?

• @c1bl paypal subscribtion is an agreement between you and paypal. You are instructing paypal to send money every month.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • colmcolm Member

Companies can cancel Paypal subscriptions on their end.

Unfortunately many don't when you cancel your service with them so you as the client need to make sure to cancel manually.

• This is called fraud.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited August 2014

colm said: Unfortunately many don't when you cancel your service with them so you as the client need to make sure to cancel manually.

Not when you have a multitude of clients, you can't always keep track of all of them.

Not to mention a lot of clients may use alternate email address when paying via paypal.

[EDIT] In the end it's the customer finances, if they can't look after them correctly and don't understand that they're signing up to a recurring payment, they probably shouldn't be using a credit/debit card or anything online..

• colmcolm Member

@ATHK said:
    Not when you have a multitude of clients, you can always keep track of all of them.

I think the idea is to automate this with the provider's billing software. I understand WHMCS is missing this extremely important feature but providers can't blame the client for lacks in the software the provider has chosen to use.

Providers using WHMCS can up-vote this feature request: https://requests.whmcs.com/responses/cancelled-orders-cancel-paypal-subscription

• c1bl said: I used Paypal, so I remove them from Paypal subscription, and problem solved.

--> I remember that when I ordered the domain at them, there is no option for PayPal. For PP, I understand what I will need to do.

@colm said:
    I think the idea is to automate this with the provider's billing software

--> I would agree that this should be implemented from the billing software, too.

In my case, as some of you told that they will not allow to cancel the service (it is weird that I did not order that service), I might come to the decision to work with the bank on this.

• @rds100 said:
    c1bl paypal subscribtion is an agreement between you and paypal. You are instructing paypal to send money every month.

@ATHK said:
    [EDIT] In the end it's the customer finances, if they can't look after them correctly and don't understand that they're signing up to a recurring payment, they probably shouldn't be using a credit/debit card or anything online..

FYI, I've just received another email from NetworkSolutions
    "Unfortunately, we were unable to process your request. None of the services in this order have been fulfilled, including items that have deferred payments.

Please contact PayPal directly to resolve any potential issues."

They continue to charge me for the email hosting service that I asked them to cancel before. They already sent me refund and cancel service. And each month from that day, I receive the same email regarding to "Renewal of: Microsoft® Hosted Exchange mailbox(es)".

• I've been stung by these tricks before, but unfortunately it's legal and you just need to be careful :(

At least you will hopefully give web.com some bad publicity.

• @c1bl said:
    They continue to charge me for the email hosting service that I asked them to cancel before. They already sent me refund and cancel service. And each month from that day, I receive the same email regarding to "Renewal of: Microsoft® Hosted Exchange mailbox(es)".

I transferred all my services in Web.com to another providers, so there is NO services at their website any more. I will wait to see if they continue charging me next month :-s

Very bad company!

• hostnoob said: I've been stung by these tricks before, but unfortunately it's legal and you just need to be careful :(

Unfortunately, I have too. VPS.net does the exact same thing with regards to cancellation. ANY company that doesn't let me cancel on my own, and requires me to phone or create a ticket remains a scam in my books; It's completely unfair to make the cancellation process strenuous just to possibly prevent a few lazy customers from cancelling.

Thanked by 1nhocconan