Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a server I can use as a seedbox.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a server I can use as a seedbox.

FoShizzFoShizz Member
edited August 2014 in Requests

Just a few things:

• No, I will not only be torrenting Ubuntu
  • Yes, I do only use private trackers (They are much faster anyways)
  • I don't seed aggressively
  • I'll basically use this only for torrenting. Not much of a resource hog.
  • This is a personal server. I'm not a big uploader, I only do what I need to maintain my ratios. No resource abuse from me :)

I'm looking for a server, mainly to be used as a seedbox. I'll start with a 3 month plan, then go from there. I prefer a West Coast US based server. I'd like this to be $12/quarter.

Preferably:

• 1024 MB RAM
  • 750GB Bandwidth
  • 300GB Storage
  • 1 IPv4
  • 1 Gb Line

Let's negotiate.

KVM or XEN preferred, OVZ ok if there is a guarantee the node will not be overloaded. Expect no DMCA ever, since I am using private trackers.

If everything goes well, expect me to purchase a year plan =)

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• I don't think you need 1024 MB RAM. 512 MB will be fine.

• @Chuck said:
    I don't think you need 1024 MB RAM. 512 MB will be fine.

I agree. Negotiate though =)

• PM has been sent regarding a feature that may be useful to you.

• Kimsufi?

• Does the use of private trackers really guarantee no DMCA?

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited August 2014

@kcaj said:
    Does the use of private trackers really guarantee no DMCA?

It does not but the risk is less high compared to public swarms, what does prevent a DMCA agent from joining the private tracker community when they do a temporary open signup? ontop of that you could just buy invites from sites like http://www.invitescene.com - all you have to do is make 1 successful transaction with the site admin and get his vouch, after that you'll have no problems buying invites from others.

Thanked by 1C0mpass
  • Kimsufi?

Prefer in America, but Kimsufi is far more than what I am looking for spec wise.

Does the use of private trackers really guarantee no DMCA?

Nothing is guaranteed. However, since nearly all private trackers are hosted outside the US, the feds really do not have much power. Sure they can penetrate a private tracker, but that's a waste of time. They only take down entire communities, not a few leechers.

• Kimsufi would be your best bet, or GVH if you don't care much about it.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2014

I use a box with GVH for mine. Also like you I only use it for private trackers, download at a couple hundred mbps and then leave it for however long uploading occasionally over time. Never had any trouble, and they are cheap.

• FoShizzFoShizz Member
    edited August 2014

@hostnoob said:
    I use a box with GVH for mine. Also like you I only use it for private trackers, download at a couple hundred mbps and then leave it for however long uploading occasionally over time. Never had any trouble, and they are cheap.

@linuxthefish said:
    Kimsufi would be your best bet, or GVH if you don't care much about it.

GVH as in GreenValueHost? How are their speeds? They seem really cheap but I get the feeling they skimp on service.

Also in their ToS it states no copyrighted material =/

• said: I prefer a West Coast US based server.

You are best going with a EU server provider just to avoid the DMCA issue. in that case i would suggest online.net or OVH Classic VPS

• @FoShizz said:

NY node

• @hostnoob said:
    NY node

what are you doing on that node?

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2014

@FoShizz said:
    Also in their ToS it states no copyrighted material =/

Just don't use the full port speed 24/7, don't get any DMCA notices and I don't think they will care.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    You are best going with a EU server provider just to avoid the DMCA issue.

I was hoping a friendly host here wouldn't mind =)

• @wcypierre said:

torrenting. would have cost more to transfer it to NL node so I didn't bother

• @hostnoob said:
    torrenting. would have cost more to transfer it to NL node so I didn't bother

How much do you torrent? I leave mine running 24/7 seeding like 1Megabyte/s. Have you had any problems?

• @FoShizz said:

on the tracker I use most people have at least 100mbit seedboxes and auto-dl scripts, so when I add them, they usually download at about 40-50MB/s but then they don't seed 24/7 they just upload occasionally when a new peer connects. I've left a few torrents from public trackers running to around 250GB up and never had issues.

• Mark_R said: ontop of that you could just buy invites from sites like http://www.invitescene.com - all you have to do is make 1 successful transaction with the site admin and get his vouch, after that you'll have no problems buying invites from others.

Buying an invite is an easy way to get your accounts across all private trackers banned, and it's easy to catch because when the person who sold to you gets caught, he and everyone he invited gets banned, the person who invited him might get banned, and all the trackers share information about who was banned and what email addresses/IPs/friends are associated with each banned account.

• I personally make a habit of hunting down and reporting invite buyers too, they are easy to spot and make for shitty community members (and/or security risks)

• Cheapest seedboxes on the planet can be found here -- http://www.torrent-invites.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121

• @texteditor said:
    I personally make a habit of hunting down and reporting invite buyers too, they are easy to spot and make for shitty community members (and/or security risks)

I was just pointing out that private trackers are not going to keep out those DMCA agents, buying a invite is just a quick way in, I share the same opinion as you regarding people who lazily buy access to a tracker. They usually are upto no good.

• In my opinion private trackers are like encryption. We know that anything encrypted can be brute forced, but we still encrypt information. We just make it as costly and difficult as possible to deter attempts. I've seen several private trackers requiring a somewhat lengthy interview process + peer recommendation.

• awvnxawvnx Member
    edited August 2014

Well, you can join what.cd from just taking an interview about audio formats and tracker rules, and after you're a member for a month and upload enough, you can get free invites to all the other big private trackers too, through the Power User forum.

So it's pretty easy for anyone to join these "exclusive" private trackers without any peer recommendation, and this is common knowledge.

Regardless, I haven't heard of anyone actually getting notices from private trackers other than the ones that are very easy to get in. And to actually catch everyone using the tracker, the user would have to download a lot of torrents to grab IP addresses. It'd be seen as suspicious. I'm sure the big guys monitor some of the torrents since it's really not that hard to get accounts, but who knows if they'll act on it.

• awvnx said: Well, you can join what.cd from just taking an interview about audio formats and tracker rules, and after you're a member for a month and upload enough, you can get free invites to all the other big private trackers too, through the Power User forum.

So it's pretty easy for anyone to join these "exclusive" private trackers without any peer recommendation, and this is common knowledge.

This is the way I advocate getting in. what.cd was my first tracker (though I was invited) and simply being a good member and making friends people will give you invites to all kinds of places

• shammyshammy Member
    edited August 2014

@Mark_R said:
    It does not but the risk is less high compared to public swarms, what does prevent a DMCA agent from joining the private tracker community when they do a temporary open signup? ontop of that you could just buy invites from sites like http://www.invitescene.com - all you have to do is make 1 successful transaction with the site admin and get his vouch, after that you'll have no problems buying invites from others.

Reddit isn't the most fantastic of sources, but make of this what you will:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/trackers/comments/29tbg2/how_long_tillwhat_will_happen_when_copyright/cioebpd

• Mark_R said: I was just pointing out that private trackers are not going to keep out those DMCA agents, buying a invite is just a quick way in, I share the same opinion as you regarding people who lazily buy access to a tracker. They usually are upto no good.

Yeah, was just making a point of making sure anyone considering that route was aware that not only is buying invites frowned upon, but lots of people watch those selling forums like a hawk.

• If providers cannot legally view the contents of your box, how do they know you are using p2p? Couldn't the traffic from you server still be completely legitimate, if that was all they were observing?

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited August 2014

@FoShizz said:
    If providers cannot legally view the contents of your box, how do they know you are using p2p? Couldn't the traffic from you server still be completely legitimate, if that was all they were observing?

Usually the providers will recieve a complaint from DMCA agents who have been in the same tracker swarm or P2P network as you. The Agent will send details like IP + Port + Torrent name and some additional stuff, the provider will try to confirm if the details match by checking your network activity etc. I don't know if turning on Full Encryption in your torrent client will make it legally harder for the provider to proof the DMCA agent's claims - it really depends on the provider's ToS and moral ethics whenever they take steps against you or not and how far they are willing to go.

• @Mark_R said:
    Usually the providers will recieve a complaint from DMCA agents

Exactly. Provided no DMCAs are sent because I am using a private tracker, how would they know?

Encryption in your torrent client will make it legally harder for the provider to proof the DMCA agent's claims

DMCA requests are IP based, the proof they use is you IP's connection to the swarm.

provider's ToS and moral ethics whenever they take steps against you or not and how far they are willing to go.

If you are ever caught I would expect the provider would refuse service to you.

This again begs the question, if your disk I/O is not too suspicious, how would they know you are torrenting? Any providers around that can give input?