Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Chris SCAM / AvanteHosting / Centarra Refusal ship of our HW
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another Chris SCAM / AvanteHosting / Centarra Refusal ship of our HW

tomsfarmtomsfarm Member
edited October 2014 in Providers

Basically we switched from OVH to Centarra and it was the worse decision ever.

So far during the past couple of months. Chris has ripped us off multiple times, here is the first problem with Centarra.

They unplugged one of our servers and moved it rack, and completely denied it. Total downtime was at least 48 hours and resulted in a thread about our name ClamHost emerging from a long term client.

Secondly they completely refused in 3 months to replace out the memory on a rental server and completely refused to rack our hardware on multiple occasions. Thus resulting in loss of revenue and capacity problems.

The network overall has been "Ok" how ever during the 3 months of being with them we have had several other problems. I really don't want to go into detail about it.

All I want is our $3,000 + Hardware back I can list every item that we have with them.

Thanked by 1nexmark

Comments

• Sucks, I hope you get your hardware back after they see this public exposure.

• tomsfarmtomsfarm Member
    edited August 2014

Property List Includes:

1x HP Proliant GL6 DL160 - 48GB DDR3 ECC - 4x 1TB HDDs - Adaptec 5805
    4x Seagate 3TB Barracuada Drives $550
    Adaptec 5805 RAID Controller + BBU $145
    2x x5650 CPUs $250
    1x Segate 1TB barracuda Drive $74
    8x 1TB Segate Enterprise HDDs $1760

• Very sad to know about your experience with Centarra, have you asked them for a refund yet?

edited January 2017

@K2Bytes said:
    Very sad to know about your experience with Centarra, have you asked them for a refund yet?

Don't seek a refund from Chris K but to get our Hardware out of his control. As we are actively seeking to migrate to Pshyz to a Quarter Cabinet.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

All I have to say is...hello fellow Houstonian!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited January 2017

@clamhost said:
    Don't seek a refund from Chris K but to get our Hardware out of his control. As we are actively seeking to migrate to Pshyz to a Quarter Cabinet.

Best of luck with it & your business as well but personally I would suggest moving to OVH again to avoid experiences like this in the future.

• Thomas, I feel as if you don't know the entire story.. Why didn't your business partner Dave Jones (real name Jordan McKeag) post the thread.. He is after all the owner of the clamhost account and has been handling all communication.

Regarding the bargain bin server which had a faulty DIMM, unfortunately we are unable to replace the DIMM however you can cancel the server.. Further we provided a credit ($25) twice. There is no contract, you can cancel at any time if you aren't satisfied.

These are the options, you may either schedule a pickup using UPS/Fedex or come pickup the hardware yourself (or send somebody you know of course)

We have no intention to hold the hardware, and can store if you'd like until you have arrangements for the pickup. (free of cost)

The address for shipping has been changed several times, first. Alvin, Texas (Where Thomas seems to live) Then Seattle (Another datacenter?) then it has be changed to Los Angeles. All in the span of a couple days, we have provided over 10 shipping quotes to you. There is over 50 replies in the ticket, and I think we've been more than accommodating.

Also you asked us to ship the hardware next Wednesday then a reply today said Friday (today) Again the replies have conflicting information.. We do not want to take a risk and ship to the wrong address after several addresses have been provided and changed within a 24 hour time span.

• kaniinikaniini Member
    edited August 2014

https://www.digitalpoint.com/members/sameer-hosting.257325/ seems to belong to a Jordan McKeag. Hmm.

(do note that I do not work for Centarra for many months, and my opinions are my own here.)

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • Am I the only one who noticed the rule-breaking signature here?

Signatures may contain only text, with a maximum of two lines

• @ChrisK said:
    Thomas, I feel as if you don't know the entire story.. Why didn't your business partner Dave Jones (real name Jordan McKeag) post the thread.. He is after all the owner of the clamhost account and has been handling all communication.

Regarding the bargain bin server which had a faulty DIMM, unfortunately we are unable to replace the DIMM however you can cancel the server.. Further we provided a credit ($25) twice. There is no contract, you can cancel at any time if you aren't satisfied.

These are the options, you may either schedule a pickup using UPS/Fedex or come pickup the hardware yourself (or send somebody you know of course)

We have no intention to hold the hardware, and can store if you'd like until you have arrangements for the pickup. (free of cost)

The address for shipping has been changed several times, first. Alvin, Texas (Where Thomas seems to live) Then Seattle (Another datacenter?) then it has be changed to Los Angeles. All in the span of a couple days, we have provided over 10 shipping quotes to you. There is over 50 replies in the ticket, and I think we've been more than accommodating.

Also you asked us to ship the hardware next Wednesday then a reply today said Friday (today) Again the replies have conflicting information.. We do not want to take a risk and ship to the wrong address after several addresses have been provided and changed within a 24 hour time span.

There we go a step in the right direction. Before you insisted that we have someone pick us the nodes, if you can pack them and give us the weight and dimensions we'd have FedEx pick them up in a few days.

• From what I've heard, Clamhost is an unreputable host that doesn't pay their bills, so I don't blame Centarra for refusing to rack further Clamhost equipment.

edited August 2014

@Exelion said:
    From what I've heard, Clamhost is an unreputable host that doesn't pay their bills, so I don't blame Centarra for refusing to rack further Clamhost equipment.

Where did you here such lies? If you'd like I can attach PayPal screenshots of us paying our bills to licensepal, ovh, and Centarra.

• ChrisKChrisK Member
    edited August 2014

@clamhost said:
    There we go a step in the right direction. Before you insisted that we have someone pick us the nodes, if you can pack them and give us the weight and dimensions we'd have FedEx pick them up in a few days.

This was always an option.
    I have tried to be as accommodating as possible however your business partner Dave, messages me 18 out of 24 hours a day on Skype with things like:

[2014-08-01, 5:59:01 PM] Dave Jones: but I will blacklist your brand Chris
    [2014-08-01, 5:59:23 PM] Dave Jones: No one will bother sending you HW after I do a SEO Stunt with a domain blacklisting your brand.

[2014-07-30, 3:21:43 AM] Dave Jones: Chris I know you are there why are you mad at me?

Frequently I wake up in the morning with 200 unread messages from Dave, half of them removed.

I have more than one client to deal with and cannot let one account consume all my time. I hope you understand and we can come to some sort of mutual agreement.

Also refusing to ship hardware isn't a scam at all, quite a few providers do not ship out equipment as it is policy.

• @ChrisK said:
    I have more than one client to deal with and cannot let one account consume all my time. I hope you understand and we can come to some sort of mutual agreement.

To avoid the address confusion, I'd be happy to buy the shipping labels myself, and have FedEx pickup the servers and accessories (HDD's etc). I'd still need the nodes and accessories to be packed and weighed at Centarra though, otherwise FedEx will charge me hundreds extra.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

We should sign for genius world records in Dramathreads.

• ChrisKChrisK Member
    edited August 2014

We have no way of weighing the items unfortunately, you usually put down a guess weight and when it hits their depot they weigh the package and update the tracking and once they have a correct weight its billed to your FedEx account.

As I was reading tickets I also stumbled upon when Dave asked us if one of the servers you sent us "smelled like ass". Going back to my main point we've been more than accommodating.

ChrisK said: Why didn't your business partner Dave Jones (real name Jordan McKeag) post the thread

Did you just dump billing account information to a public forum?

• @Jar said:

Ouch

Thanked by 1daily
    edited August 2014

@ChrisK said:
    We have no way of weighing the items unfortunately, you usually put down a guess weight and when it hits their depot they weigh the package and update the tracking and once they have a correct weight its billed to your FedEx account.

As I was reading tickets I also stumbled upon when Dave asked us if one of the servers you sent us "smelled like ass". Going back to my main point we've been more than accommodating.

I remember you complained when Dave said that. His reasoning was because in the past DDS would send foul smelling hardware, usually due to storing the servers in damp locations.

Regardless as long as the servers can get packed, we'd be happy to get FedEx to pickup the hardware.

• Actually it is usually due to damaged components, not dampness / mold.

• ChrisKChrisK Member
    edited August 2014

@Jar said:

Daves name is also on: http://www.clamhost.com/

Thanked by 1Mark_R
    edited August 2014

@kaniini said:
    Actually it is usually due to damaged components, not dampness / mold.

@kaniini said:
    Actually it is usually due to damaged components, not dampness / mold.

Good to know, dampness/humidity is what DDS told us, but it seems like a better excuse than damaged components. :-)

• clamhost said: 1x HP Proliant GL6 DL160 - 48GB DDR3 ECC - 4x 1TB HDDs - Adaptec 5805 4x Seagate 3TB Barracuada Drives $550 Adaptec 5805 RAID Controller + BBU $145 2x x5650 CPUs $250 1x Segate 1TB barracuda Drive $74 8x 1TB Segate Enterprise HDDs $1760

Is it just me or is that a TOUCH inflated? I'm farily sure (although I don't see the model number) I could get those Enterprise drives for $125 each shipped.

ChrisK said: I don't think a name hurts anybody

That's really not your decision to make as it is their personal information and it serves no defendable purpose to make it public. Come on man, you've been around here long enough to know better :)

Rallias said: Is it just me or is that a TOUCH inflated?

That controller isn't very cheap

• @Rallias said:
    Is it just me or is that a TOUCH inflated? I'm farily sure (although I don't see the model number) I could get those Enterprise drives for $125 each shipped.

The total is including the 3TB drives as well. We buy our drives from Newegg so the cost is usually slightly higher than other vendors.

• Jar said: That controller isn't very cheap

I'm not going based on the price of the controller. I'm going based on the price of the drives.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Jar said:
    That's really not your decision to make as it is their personal information and it serves no defendable purpose to make it public. Come on man, you've been around here long enough to know better :)

Daves name is also on: http://www.clamhost.com/

A ticket log would also show the exact thing, the original post includes one reply from us.. If he would have shown the entire thing it would display the staff memebers name along with is.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @ChrisK said:
    A ticket log would also show the exact thing, the original post includes one reply from us.. If he would have shown the entire thing it would display the staff memebers name along with is.

http://puu.sh/aAVwv/1718efadc1.png

• This entire dispute summed up on the last line of yours in that scrot.

This discussion has been closed.