Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You deserve it, don't you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

You deserve it, don't you?

Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
edited August 2014 in General

I've been a regular visitor of this board for over an year now. I've worked for some well reputed hosting companies(none of those have ever made any offer on LET/LEB AFAIK) in the past. I also have passion for server management & bare metal virtualization technologies so I do manage/administrate a few servers for personal use & a couple of non-profit gaming communities & other ventures. Also I've never signed up for an LEB deal from any provider the reason for which is I already have too many dedicated servers & VPS and don't need more. I visit this board because It is more friendly than WHT & you get lot of knowledge!

Well now coming to the main point, during these 15 months or so on LET, I have seen many providers here some of whom have good while others have bad reputation. But despite reading reviews about these bad providers on almost daily basis here, there are uncountable number of regular members here who would still buy from such providers & open a thread a few days later calling them scam, fraud that either their VPS was either never delivered or it got offline after a day or so & they never heard back from the provider. What I want to say is that all these people don't deserve any sympathy or refunds or winning a dispute from their payment processor. People who do this repeatedly should also be prohibited from starting new discussions like these. Where there are so many decent providers around e.g Prometeus, RamNode, Iniz, Nodisto/serverian brands, drserver brands, MyCustomHosting, Crissic & a few other new & older ones, why would people sign up with providers who get only 1 or 2 good reviews out of every 10? Why not pay 1 or 2 bucks more & get a reliable service? Please note that here I am not talking about DD whores ( the crybabies who know nothing about good VPS or hosting, are scum of the industry & unfortunately are mostly found in this community only) or some new members who didn't know about reputation of a company & signed up with them but those who are very active here & know very well what the reputation of each provider here is. Trust me they are very large in number(Open an offer thread from a bad provider & see it yourself).

I also feel that if an odd customer has had a bad experience with a decent host once in a while( It's not possible to satisfy every customer no matter how hard you try, isn't it?), other providers should avoid jumping into such threads calling that provider all sorts of names as it hurts your reputation more than the host being discussed.

Comments

• Customers are not scum of the industry... you should be ashamed to think of them as that.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited August 2014

@Sweet said:
    Customers are not scum of the industry... you should be ashamed to think of them as that.

Did you even understand what I said? "My VPS has only 300 MB/s disk I/O" No one who has any knowledge how disk I/O works would cry over over it unless he is an abuser.

• As I said earlier, Prometeus, RamNode, Iniz, etc are not all sunshine and rainbows, it's matter of what you want, and how that host provides you that service.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited August 2014

@Sweet said:
    Customers are not scum of the industry... you should be ashamed to think of them as that.

He never said that, he said the CRYBABIES & dd-whores are the scum of the industry, and tbh, they are, that's a whole lot of other thing than customers.

eddynetweb said: As I said earlier, Prometeus, RamNode, Iniz, etc are not all sunshine and rainbows, it's matter of what you want, and how that host provides you that service.

But it never is all sunshine and rainbows anywhere, they're reliable though, and that's what people should choose, and give new providers that look decent a try. But the people here, they'd rather go with a host because they choose quantity over quality.

Thanked by 3Shoaib_A k0nsl W3Host
  • I like buying new VPS's from random providers, yeah stuff goes wrong but I think everyone deserves a chance :)

• @linuxthefish said:
    I like buying new VPS's from random providers, yeah stuff goes wrong but I think everyone deserves a chance :)

Summer Hosts also :)

Thanked by 1W3Host
  • @Floris said:

Actually, he said the dd-whores are the crybabies that are the scum of the industry.

Just clarifying that.

• @Pwner said:

They're both just as terrible, it's what I ment atleast.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • @linuxthefish said:
    I like buying new VPS's from random providers, yeah stuff goes wrong but I think everyone deserves a chance :)

There is nothing wrong with trying out random providers but if someone has read hundreds of bad reviews here about a provider XYZ & yet signs up for their vps plans & later opens a thread crying & calling names to that provider, he deserves no sympathy & that is what I wanted to say.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @K2Bytes said:
    Did you even understand what I said?

Yes those crybabies are customers. and the fact that you think people should not be able to express themselves and describe their experience with a provider is sad.

If someone posts about a bad experience with a provider... then the provider should do everything in his/her power to remedy the situation. This is how reputations are made.

>

I also feel that if an odd customer has had a bad experience with a decent host once in >a while( It's not possible to satisfy every customer no matter how hard you try, isn't it?), >other providers should avoid jumping into such threads calling that provider all sorts of >names as it hurts your reputation more than the host being discussed.

I enjoy hearing what other companies have to say.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @K2Bytes said:
    There is nothing wrong with trying out random providers but if someone has read hundreds of bad reviews here about a provider XYZ & yet signs up for their vps plans & later opens a thread crying & calling names to that provider, he deserves no sympathy & that is what I wanted to say.

I don't know man, GVH has some pretty good deals and I hear their marketing staff is unbeatable... /sarcasm

Thanked by 1akz
  • Floris said: But it never is all sunshine and rainbows anywhere, they're reliable though, and that's what people should choose, and give new providers that look decent a try. But the people here, they'd rather go with a host because they choose quantity over quality.

It's possible to have both.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited August 2014

Sweet said: Yes those crybabies are customers. and the fact that you think people should not be able to express themselves and describe their experience with a provider is sad.

If someone posts about a bad experience with a provider... then the provider should do everything in his/her power to remedy the situation. This is how reputations are made.

You completley missed the point of this post. just... did you even read this post?

He's not saying you shouldn't post a bad review. He's not saying you can't express yourself.

Example of a cry baby: Someone posts a bad review because he DDoSed someone and got suspended. Does the provider deserve this? NO

Example of a DD whore: I paid 2$ for a VPS and my server only has 50MB/s io. People in this community are setting their expectations wáááy too high, but this has been said enough times already, it has became a race to the bottom for the providers, it's not healthy anymore. This is one of the reasons I wanted the price limit to be raised, so that we could make it a good place again, with a healthy economy.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • @Sweet said:
    Yes those crybabies are customers. and the fact that you think people should not be able to express themselves and describe their experience with a provider is sad.

When providers try to satisfy DD whores, they have to invest more into their hardware & to recover the expenses they have to oversell beyond your imagination which often results in downtime & bad service especially if the provider is inexperienced.

• SweetSweet Member
    edited August 2014

@K2Bytes said:
    When providers try to satisfy DD whores, they have to invest more into their hardware & to recover the expenses they have to oversell beyond your imagination which often results in downtime & bad service especially if the provider is inexperienced.

Sure, the point i'm making is those people, however shady they are, still deserve to post whatever they want. If a provider is truly a good provider, a few bad apples will not break their reputation.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2014

some of the worst in the industry for telling clients DD matters are providers, some well known providers on LET have built their advertising around it and ensure their nodes are configured to deliver the best DD returns knowing people see it as a metric to determine performance.

So the DD whores to some degree are being misled intentionally to get them in the door. Some are very successful at it and ultimately clients will be happy others are clueless copy cats.

Just as there are many unjustified complaints there are still a decent level of justified complaints around towards providers on here.

However I agree with the conclusion that there are still a significant number of members who have been about long enough to know that jumping on the latest $1 offer from GVH or similar is not going to make them in any way pleased they did, but they still do it and then come crying in a new thread.

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A Dylan
  • @Sweet said:

Again you missed the point I tried to make. All customers are free to express their feelings about a provider. If a provider has a poor uptime, bad support etc sure open a thread & let others know about it. But what about someone who is getting 100% uptime & 30 min response to tickets but still opens a thread titles "Provider XY review: Stay Away" and only bad thing you read in review is " 250 MB/s disk I/O". I consider that an attempt to hurt reputation of a good provider over something which hardly has an impact on your service.

• Some people hope they will be the exception rather than the rule (eg. end up on the sole working node rather than the crappy nodes with various issues that others are on). Some are lured in by cheap and special custom plans created ~just for them~. Some just cannot bear to pass up on a good deal and are fully aware they're most likely tossing their money into the ocean.

For what it's worth, I also think part of the blame rests on the people who sign up for plans despite knowing the provider has a bad or iffy reputation. However, most of them acknowledge it themselves when they post about said providers ("I know they have shit reviews around here but I signed up for one anyway") and I personally welcome the reviews that come after. If nothing else, it shows us how much effort (or lack thereof) the provider is putting into making improvements and changing for the better.

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A Mark_R
  • I really agree with the last paragraph. I've noticed it myself, when do you see people from Ramnode, Prometeus, drserver, etc.. talking crap about other hosts? Never

Even if a provider is in the LEB/LET top 10, if they act immature like that I won't consider using them. I won't mention any names of who is on my blacklist of hosts, but some are considered reputable by others.

I do have servers with GVH and recently CVPS, but they were cheap. I considered it money thrown away when purchasing them and even though I've only had my CVPS box a couple of days, the GVH box which I've had for 7+ months has been fine, and I definitely got my $10 worth already, even if they were to deadpool tomorrow.

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A drserver
  • @hostnoob said:

even if they were to deadpool tomorrow.

Don't get my hopes up like that.

Just kidding, I would never wish that on any provider. Honestly when I see new providers starting up, I hope the best for them. It's nice to see small businesses become successful, and watching all these summer hosts just crash and burn really kills it for me.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • LeeLee Veteran

hostnoob said: if they act immature like that I won't consider using them

hostnoob said: I do have servers with GVH and recently CVPS, but they were cheap

lol, so you won't consider using them, but hold on they were cheap, so forget my first comment.

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A akz
  • Floris said: Example of a cry baby: Someone posts a bad review because he DDoSed someone and got suspended. Does the provider deserve this? NO

Yeah, I agree with this.

Speaking of quality and quantity, there are hosts who have achieved this. VPSDime, MyCustomHosting, etc (I know there's more). They provide a good service, and nice support.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • @W1V_Lee said:
    some of the worst in the industry for telling clients DD matters are providers, some well known providers on LET have built their advertising around it and ensure their nodes are configured to deliver the best DD returns knowing people see it as a metric to determine performance.

So the DD whores to some degree are being misled intentionally to get them in the door. Some are very successful at it and ultimately clients will be happy others are clueless copy cats.

Just as there are many unjustified complaints there are still a decent level of justified complaints around towards providers on here.

However I agree with the conclusion that there are still a significant number of members who have been about long enough to know that jumping on the latest $1 offer from GVH or similar is not going to make them in any way pleased they did, but they still do it and then come crying in a new thread.

You are right, some providers who say DD matters a lot are also responsible for behavior of some clients who are always crying about DD tests. My Cloud VPS 2 from OVH is restricted to 100 MB/s disk I/O but it is fast & fluid & good enough for what I am running on it, a disk I/O hungry gameserver & a website. So if anyone tells me that " disk I/O of your VPS is very bad", I do not need to think twice how knowledgeable he is.

• @W1V_Lee said:

The problem with Jon is usually someone else starts criticising GVH, and he ends up saying something stupid and digging himself into an even deeper hole. I don't recall him making threads/snide comments about other hosts out of nowhere which is the point I was getting at.

Plus I signed up for a year before most of the drama started. Now I've had a decent experience with them I would consider using them again if I need something really cheap.

As for the guy from CVPS I never see him post on LET so iunno.

• @hostnoob said:
    The problem with Jon is usually someone else starts criticising GVH, and he ends up saying something stupid and digging himself into an even deeper hole. I don't recall him making threads/snide comments about other hosts out of nowhere which is the point I was getting at.

There are few providers here who love to bash/criticize their competitors. I never mention names but you can see it yourself if you read a a few review threads on this board.

• hellogoodbyehellogoodbye Member
    edited August 2014

@hostnoob said:
    I don't recall him making threads/snide comments about other hosts out of nowhere which is the point I was getting at.

He has, actually. I wish it was possible to look back further through his comments from his profile to link you to them because I distinctly remember him chiming in on several occasions only to be quickly rebuked with replies that were along the lines of "You really should not be talking".

EDIT: Some links to the snide comments he has made (though I'm sure there were more): http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/595087/#Comment_595087
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/587833/#Comment_587833

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited August 2014

hostnoob said: As for the guy from CVPS I never see him post on LET so iunno.

He used to act, well, he doesn't seem like he does so anymore, so i'm happy.

Now enjoy this DD result. :o

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.18631 s, 905 MB/s

Honestly, anything above 90MB/s is fine by me.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • root@nl:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test
    ^C1136+0 records in
    1136+0 records out
    74448896 bytes (74 MB) copied, 96.8213 s, 769 kB/s

I'm wet.

Thanked by 2Pwner Shoaib_A
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Would this be an example of a dd-whore?

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A Mark_R
  • @raindog308 said:
    Would this be an example of a dd-whore?

epic xD

Thanked by 1raindog308