Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to create my own nameservers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to create my own nameservers?

CltcamCltcam Member
edited July 2014 in General

Please delete.

Comments

• RBHRBH Member
    edited July 2014

I'm sorry but... your seriously starting a VPS/VM service and don't know how to setup nameservers for your website?

Possible Solution: Wait for the DNS changes to propagate on your domain http://hexvm.com

Another Suggestion: Disable WHOIS protection if your going to run a business, I would never order from an unknown party.

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited July 2014

snip

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited July 2014

snip

• RBHRBH Member

Cltcam said: I'll even admit to you that we're using nulled WHMCS for testing purposed all until release.

You should have not admitted that.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited July 2014

@RBH said:
    You should have not admitted that.

He's not a provider. Who cares.

If he was gaining commercial profit, then he should be using a legitimate WHMCS install and actually paying the monthly fees. But in this case, it's for learning purposes and he stands to gain nothing.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Gunter said:
    He's not a provider. Who cares.

That's a sad attitude to take. WHMCS offers Development Licenses for this purpose. There's no need to be pirating software because it's for "funsies". Not to mention the security holes that could be introduced (not by WHMCS :P) by using nulled software.

• GunterGunter Member

@DrJinglesMD said:
    That's a sad attitude to take. WHMCS offers Development Licenses for this purpose. There's no need to be pirating software because it's for "funsies". Not to mention the security holes that could be introduced (not by WHMCS :P) by using nulled software.

A sad attitude to take? I am not a proponent of harsh copyright and idiot reasoning. If he intends to open up a public web host, in the long run, WHMCS stands to gain because he will become a paying customer based on his experience.

• @Gunter said:

So by that logic, say you own a hot dog stand, should you give away free hotdogs in hopes that those people will come back and buy hot dogs?

Oh I have a great idea, how about a free sample! Man, that's an amazing idea I could only wish that companies offered some way to try the product out before committing to it.

Oh wait, a Development license. Huh.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2014

@Gunter said: A sad attitude to take? I am not a proponent of harsh copyright and idiot reasoning. If he intends to open up a public web host, in the long run, WHMCS stands to gain because he will become a paying customer based on his experience.

On the face of it, very logical viewpoint and very... dangerous! There is democracy and common sense and then there is... anarchy! Rules are there for a reason. Okay, so there are very few of us, who have not been guilty of copyright infringement at some point in life. For someone to freely admit that is bad enough. For others to accept and even make excuses for such "reasonable", "innocent" and even "profitable for the rights owner" (sic!) behavior is a highway to hell. The guy is, well, a thief. Pure and simple. Most of us are, at one time or another, sometimes even without realizing it. Admitting to this publicly is, well, imprudent. Endorsing such behavior publicly is naïve or... criminal (enticing others to break the law). Bad Joss, man ;)

• GunterGunter Member

@DrJinglesMD said:
    Oh wait, a Development license. Huh.

Does WHMCS have a material value? No, it has a fee set by its developers.

You can't compare a hot dog to a piece of software because software is just digital code that can be read by computers. Hot dogs have a material value and you would operate at a loss by giving them away. A piece of code can be redistributed without the developer taking a loss.

And before you say the developer is losing money, was he ever going to gain it to begin with?

• GunterGunter Member
    edited July 2014

@aglodek said:
    On the face of it, very logical viewpoint and very... dangerous! There is democracy and common sense and then there is... anarchy! Rules are there for a reason. Okay, so there are very few of us, who have not been guilty of copyright infringement at some point in life. For someone to freely admit that is bad enough. For others to accept and even make excuses for such "reasonable", "innocent" and even "profitable for the rights owner" (sic!) behavior is a highway to hell. The guy is, well, a thief. Pure and simple. Most of us are, at one time or another, sometimes even without realizing it. Admitting to this publicly is, well, imprudent. Endorsing such behavior publicly is naïve or... criminal (enticing others to break the law). Bad Joss, man ;)

If I called you a cunt publicly on this board, wouldn't that be imprudent too?

Society wouldn't have progressed if everyone refrained from imprudent ideas.

I don't see how he would be a thief if nobody lost anything. If I stole your bike, you would have to walk home, wouldn't you? If I made a copy of it, we would both have the capacity to bike where we need to.

The developer didn't lose anything, and don't try and toss profits into this if he isn't benefiting through commercial profits because of it.

If you can find a case of a developer having his house blow up because someone downloaded a nulled copy of his software, than maybe I might consider your points about bring socially acceptable.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2014

@Gunter said: If I called you a cunt publicly on this board, wouldn't that be imprudent too?

Imprudent AND inaccurate ;)

Society wouldn't have progressed if everyone refrained from imprudent ideas.

All too true. Thing is, a great many of those people have paid dearly for their imprudent ideas, sometimes with their life.

I don't see how he would be a thief if nobody lost anything. If I stole your bike, you would have to walk home, wouldn't you? If I made a copy of it, we would both have the capacity to bike where we need to.

What and interesting rationale. Conveniently, you choose to disregard the costs of developing said "bike" here. Not to mention it's bad analogy. Let me turn tables on you here: say that you are a really smart guy and you invented a pill that cures cancer, no less. Nobody else has this, so cancer patients from all corners of the world line up to your door and buy said pills from you for $$$. Then one day, I come strolling around your backyard, find the patio door imprudently (sic!) left wide open and go inside and find your laptop on the table with your secret medicine files on it. Being smart, too, I see the opportunity of the lifetime here and quickly download all the files and quietly take my leave. A few weeks later you find the line to your door much shorter. There's me selling an identical cancer pill down the street, but charging a bit less, so unsurprisingly, the majority of your clients leave you for me. I haven't stolen your laptop, have I? I haven't stolen your bicycle, have I? So no harm no foul... or is there?

The developer didn't lose anything, and don't try and toss profits into this if he isn't benefiting through commercial profits because of it.

This is getting real deep, man! Tell me if you got the point in lesson No. 1 above, only then we can proceed to lesson No. 2 here ;)

If you can find a case of a developer having his house blow up because someone downloaded a nulled copy of his software, than maybe I might consider your points about bring socially acceptable.

Sorry, you've totally lost me here... are you by any chance alleging that stealing is okay, but you draw a line at terrorism?

• GunterGunter Member
    edited July 2014

What and interesting rationale. Conveniently, you choose to disregard the costs of developing said "bike" here. Not to mention it's bad analogy. Let me turn tables on you here: say that you are a really smart guy and you invented a pill that cures cancer, no less. Nobody else has this, so cancer patients from all corners of the world line up to your door and buy said pills from you for $$$. Then one day, I come strolling around your backyard, find the patio door imprudently (sic!) left wide open and go inside and find your laptop on the table with your secret medicine files on it. Being smart, too, I see the opportunity of the lifetime here and quickly download all the files and quietly take my leave. A few weeks later you find the line to your door much shorter. There's me selling an identical cancer pill down the street, but charging a bit less, so unsurprisingly, the majority of your clients leave you for me. I haven't stolen your laptop, have I? I haven't stolen your bicycle, have I? So no harm no foul... or is there?

To be quite frank, if someone is benefiting monetarily and engaging in profiteering for something that can save lives, I think its more fair that they be dragged through the streets and thrown off a cliff. Taking a copy of the data needed to reproduce the pill is the ethically and morally right thing to do in this specific circumstance so more people will have access to such a cure.

• wychwych Member

@Gunter hows Cloud 9?